1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Fuel pump working but no oil

Posted by samian rahman, Jun 13, 2019

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. samian rahman

samian rahman Probationary Member

Joined May 25, 2019
    ozone park, New York
    So I checked recently and my car wasn't getting any fuel in the fuel rail. Its barely any. Like after couples of cranks little comes out. Not enough for injectors to spray it in. I took the old pump out and found out my AWd eclipse gsx has fwd tank. So disconnecting the pressure line it was stuck like itll break so I did some cutting just to bring the filter up enough to change it. Now problem is I tested the old pump with 9v battery. It spins just like the new one. Will it be worthless to switch it? I'd rather not waste the 80 if the car will do the same thing after I change it. Old pump wss making the same spinning noise connecting 9v battery. What else could be the issue? Should I change it anyway and see ?

2. Talondvr

Talondvr Proven Member

Joined Sep 14, 2008
    Kenosha, Wisconsin
    Check / change your strainer and filter. Disconnect the fuel lines and make sure they are clear. If the pump pumps, it sounds like something's clogged up.
    I'm not familiar with the differences between the fwd and awd tanks so cant say if that has anything to do with it.

815  15

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  3. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Supporting VIP

Joined Jan 5, 2012
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    A 9v won't tell you anything between the two pumps, they have a hard enough time with 12+ volts.

You need to ensure there are not obstructions in the line (kinks, filter and strainer sock clogged, etc), then address the pump and it's wiring. I would do a rewire so the pump gets adequate voltage and a good, solid ground. See what you get after this.

Street Build 113  3

1990 Plymouth Laser N/T
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM

233  8

1987 Toyota Pickup/Hilux
    awd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 745  7

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 944  1

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 2K  10

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
    dustyboner likes this.
  4. samian rahman

Joined May 25, 2019
    ozone park, New York

Is there any guide to rewiring it?

5. dustyboner

dustyboner DSM Wiseman

Joined Mar 13, 2016
    abq, New Mexico
    I was thinking the same thing.

upload_2019-6-14_10-5-17.png

ThunderChild likes this.
  6. dustyboner

dustyboner DSM Wiseman

Joined Mar 13, 2016
    abq, New Mexico
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    ThunderChild likes this.
  7. curt-s

curt-s Proven Member

Joined Dec 21, 2008
    Winterville, MB, Canada
    As above, a fwd tank isnt a saddle design so your driveshaft would not fit under it. Also a 9v battery might spin the pump impeller but you wont get any appreciable flow as it cant supply enough juice.

do you have the ability to toggle fuel pump while checking voltage at its connector with a multimeter?

lastly, that thread title was really confusing

2K  1

1991 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM
  8. Vegas smith

Vegas smith Proven Member

Joined Dec 2, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Your best bet is to get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator with a gauge.

Street Build 3K  10

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  9. Tiki2777

Tiki2777 Proven Member

Joined Oct 9, 2011
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Nobody here can figure out how you determined you can't get any fuel through the rail or how you think you have a mismatched fuel tank....did you forget to check and see if your filter was clogged or needed changed? Don't just buy parts if you're worried about 80 dollars without properly diagnosing your issue. Clean up your terminology, and form a technically sound question. People may be more relaxed on new members due to how dry the forums are in 2019, but it will only help YOU in the long run to get a real answer to your problem(s). Most members will see bad sentence structure and obviously answered questions as an instant pass rather than to comment. Good luck

Street Build 2K  1

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 2K  1

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

850  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM
    Talondvr likes this.
  10. dustyboner

dustyboner DSM Wiseman

Joined Mar 13, 2016
    abq, New Mexico
    To me, it seems like english is his 2nd language.

JGL122 likes this.
  11. samian rahman

Joined May 25, 2019
    ozone park, New York
    So thanks for the all the replies. I'm sorry, it was very difficult to explain all these stuff. I'm new to this so sorry in advance for not doing a better job at writing my problems.

12. samian rahman

Joined May 25, 2019
    ozone park, New York
    This is what I meant. I might still be wrong so please do clarify. The first pic is how my housing is. maybe saying fwd tank was the word way of putting it. If I'm not wrong. The 2nd pic is how the housing should be and theres also another extra line running from the housing there which my housing dosent have

Attached Files:

13. dustyboner

dustyboner DSM Wiseman

Joined Mar 13, 2016
    abq, New Mexico
    the 1g AWD tank has the bolt on top
    DSC05641.jpg

so just to be sure your car is a 2g, what is the year of your car?

on a 2g AWD there are 2 assemblies, the upper one is this picture (drivers side) is for the fuel gauge,
    the lower one (passenger side) is for the fuel pump
    image-jpg.jpg

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    Tiki2777 likes this.
  14. samian rahman

Joined May 25, 2019
    ozone park, New York

Mine is the first pic for the thr 1g tank. My car is 1995 eclipse gsx awd turbo 2.0.

I'm having fuel issues. It dosent prime when I turn the key on to acc. Once u crank that's when therrs slight sound of oil pressure back in the tank but it dosent come to the rail. Is it possible that my battery dosent have enough juice to supply the 12v? I have . A bad battery. Was boosting it from my other car.

15. dustyboner

dustyboner DSM Wiseman

Joined Mar 13, 2016
    abq, New Mexico
    on 2g cars there are 2 access panels under the rear seat

FWD has one on the passenger side and one in the middle
    AWD has one on the passenger side and one on the drives side

FWD have a metal fuel tank
    AWD have a plastic fuel tank

i don't see how it would be possible to use a 1g tank on a 2g.
    This might be a dumb question but have you actually looked under the car and made sure it has a drive shaft?
    Maybe the previous owner (if there is one) converted it to FWD or something stupid like that.

Thats really the only way i can think of to have the bolt on style of top on the fuel pump assembly.

If you want to post up a few pictures we can probably figure it out. other than that i don't know what else to tell ya

16. pauleyman

pauleyman DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 19, 2011
    oklahoma city, Oklahoma
    No offense but are you sure your car is awd? I met at least one guy that thought he had a gsx because that's what it said on the bumper. But it wasn't.

Street Build 2K  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
    Tiki2777 and dustyboner like this.
  17. samian rahman

Joined May 25, 2019
    ozone park, New York
    I checked the car and the tittle. It's a gsx.

18. pauleyman

pauleyman DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 19, 2011
    oklahoma city, Oklahoma
    There is no way to have a fwd fuel tank. Post pics of the tank from the top and please look under the car and see what's what.

Street Build 2K  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
    dustyboner likes this.
  19. samian rahman

Joined May 25, 2019
    ozone park, New York
    I will post pictures Monday after class. I might be wrong but that definitely doesn't look like awd tank. Even the pressure line was welded in.

20. samian rahman

Joined May 25, 2019
    ozone park, New York
    Question so my housing is like that. Theres a seal under that. However its ripped in 2 piec . I'm looking for a new one but while doing that I put the old one back. Theres no oil leak but can that cause any kind of pressure issue resulting in me not getting any fuel to my injectors? With the old pump. Car wasn't turning on at all. It kept on cranking however after putting the new one in. It atleast starts but shuts off I noticed the fuel pump makes some kind of air sound? Is pressure leaking out from the broken seal?

Attached Files:

21. dustyboner

dustyboner DSM Wiseman

Joined Mar 13, 2016
    abq, New Mexico
    no the seal won't effect the operation of the pump. Are you sure the sound your hearing isn't from the return line?
    If any air in the line will get pushed out once the regulator opens and starts letting fuel back to the tank. The return pipe on the housing goes almost to the bottom of the tank so you might hear bubbling until all the air gets pushed out.

22. samian rahman

Joined May 25, 2019
    ozone park, New York

I see thank you. I will try to directly power the pump and see what happens.

23. dustyboner

dustyboner DSM Wiseman

Joined Mar 13, 2016
    abq, New Mexico
    FWD
    1353930229.jpg
    ======================================================================================

AWD

upload_2019-6-16_7-29-56.png