The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Fuel Pump Spacer

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdog

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 24, 2006
Fresno, California
So I lost the spacer that goes on the fuel pump between the o-ring and the base of the portion that goes into the sending unit. Is it possible to just use some fuel hose and cut it to length to hold that o-ring in place. Thats the only responsibility that piece has is to keep the o-ring flush against the white cap isnt it?

Exactly the one I'm talking about, the one resting against the o-ring and holding it up to the white cap.

You could try but all 3 pieces act as a sealing assembly. I think you'll have leaking issues. Maybe Brian will post up a part number in the next 5 minutes.

I already tried it without it and it does leak, to the point of causing cylinder misfires. There is no Mitsu part number because they sell the whole fuel pump as a unit and they want 300 dollars for it....

I tried to think of any vendors or if the Walbro installation kits for our cars came with them. Unfortunately I think you're SOL and the best way to get a hold of one is the junkyard. Sorry.

I ended up using a piece of fuel line cut to perfect length with the exact ID for the pump an an OD slightly smaller than the o-ring and it works PERFECTLY. This is a temporary solution for sure but it works great for people in a real jam, just thought you guys should know.

Resurrecting this, anybody figured out where to get this fuel pump spacer or any other solutions?

Evo vs DSM fitment?
Yes, I looked for the thread that it was mentioned in a couple months back and I can’t find it currently. However I believe it was @chrysler kid that had used this in place of the 2 piece o-ring and plastic hat. Hopefully he will confirm or I can find the additional info needed to confirm.

-Daniel

I've had a walbro 255 and a 350 and neither held pressure after the pump turned off.
My feed line post pump pre bulkhead is a very tightly fit piece of submersible fuel hose with hose clamps. I can't see it leaking from there.
These grommets are only good if you're using the stock snorkel which I've never had fit with a walbro either.

The 350 barely fit as-is
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Curt, my 525s I use are the "285" models that have a checkvalve in them. I have noticed ALOT of people don't like that or they pop or drill them out, but my fuel pressure stays up for anywhere from an hour to 24 hours, still holding pressure, maybe not a full 43lbs but possibly 20 which is enough to not have to "prime" or crank for extended periods. My pump setups are just like yours, no "bell" that uses an o-ring. It's just my experiences for the thread.
Marty

I didn't touch any check valve, so I wonder if neither of mine came with them.
I have no VE weirdness at idle, so it's not like I'm dumping fuel out of leaks in the hose back into the tank, which is what the pressure would be when you shut off the pump so I can only surmise that, in fact, I do not have a check valve.
I just let it prime for a couple seconds before I turn'er over anyway.

Everyone, thanks for jumping in to help right away! Looks like I have a couple of options. I think I’ll try the Evo grommet with o-ring first since it seems to be the most cost effective option.

Thanks again!

Yes, I looked for the thread that it was mentioned in a couple months back and I can’t find it currently. However I believe it was @chrysler kid that had used this in place of the 2 piece o-ring and plastic hat. Hopefully he will confirm or I can find the additional info needed to confirm.

-Daniel

correct. I had 2 cars with aftermarket pumps that had problems with hot fuel pressure readings.

in both of them the original "mod" of using a piece of hose failed because the pump would get hot and the rubber hose would get soft when hot and leak fuel pressure back in the tank.
(the mod was using a piece of rubber hose inbetween some o rings to simulate the stock spacer)

the fuel grommet from an evo is the best solution. I have used it twice, and reccomend buying the grommet if you are replacing the pump. typically the factory style spacer is extremely brittle and will break. also after using the evo grommet a year or so later I went to pull the pump to upgrade and that grommet was nearly seized into the neck of the hanger. I think i had to soak it in wd40 from inside and out and vigously wiggle it out for several minutes

if you are desperate the delphi pump for a 2004 nissan xterra v6 comes with the grommet and is available at most autopart stores. the subaru sti uses the same grommet as the evo, and ive helped a few people last minute get the xterra pump and order the grommet online, then return the new grommet later back with the xterra pump

Last edited:
correct. I had 2 cars with aftermarket pumps that had problems with hot fuel pressure readings.

in both of them the original "mod" of using a piece of hose failed because the pump would get hot and the rubber hose would get soft when hot and leak fuel pressure back in the tank.
(the mod was using a piece of rubber hose inbetween some o rings to simulate the stock spacer)

the fuel grommet from an evo is the best solution. I have used it twice, and reccomend buying the grommet if you are replacing the pump. typically the factory style spacer is extremely brittle and will break. also after using the evo grommet a year or so later I went to pull the pump to upgrade and that grommet was nearly seized into the neck of the hanger. I think i had to soak it in wd40 from inside and out and vigously wiggle it out for several minutes

if you are desperate the delphi pump for a 2004 nissan xterra v6 comes with the grommet and is available at most autopart stores. the subaru sti uses the same grommet as the evo, and ive helped a few people last minute get the xterra pump and order the grommet online, then return the new grommet later back with the xterra pump
Did you just stick the hose over the nipple end or did you clamp it in place? The fuel should be acting as a cooling liquid as it flowed out of the pump.. it's curious what you describe.

Did you just stick the hose over the nipple end or did you clamp it in place? The fuel should be acting as a cooling liquid as it flowed out of the pump.. it's curious what you describe.

I cant find pictures of the wrong way to do it, basically the end of the pump that slides into the cup on the hanger. you would use a section of rubber hose between the o-rings to simulate the stock spacer.

im not sure if it was the hose piece would get dried out over time, or something else. I searched and couldnt find pictures of this method but there use to be a write up for doing it that way if the stock piece failed. even with the proper sized o-rings the pump would never feel sturdy in the cup of the hanger

Ok I think I get it. I just wasn't sure how the stock hard pipe was able to be used with an aftermarket pump but the hanger is totally different on an AWD. Even on my 1g fwd I used the same hose with clamps method due to the height of the 255..
Shrug

hahaha ok I found a picture of the shit show I found in my white gst. It was an ebay 340 pump that was too short that the previous owner was trying to make work. it had a long skinny neck and just didn't work. in the cup part at the top there were 3 o-rings

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back