The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Fuel pump seal

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horizontalkev

Supporting VIP
Jun 28, 2010
great bend, Kansas
The rubber skirt around the fuel pump cap, when I put the pump back in place does the rubber skirt go inside or outside of the gas tank hole?
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

How is that attached to the top of the sending unit. The reason Nicklepage was asking is that blue -AN fitting is aluminum and the top of the sending unit is steel so it couldn't be welded. So how is it attached?

Ah okay.. Its connected with some type of epoxy, but it seems removable and the fitting is a little loose. I might try redoing with explosive welding.. When I get to the shop tomorrow Im going to see if we have bimetal to do it. If not, think it will be okay as is?

-AN bungs are available in steel as well. Probably easier just to weld steel to steel.

This is what the bottom of the sending unit looks like for the guy who asked before.. Ugly isn't it? Going to properly redo it soon.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

So I put everything back together and tested the pump and it sprayed fuel everywhere all over me too.. But the car did not start. I started removing the fuel line before fuel filter and fuel began pouring out. Can fuel filters suddenly become clogged

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1370582559937.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1370582559937.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 192
Did it spray fuel where you used epoxy at the pump, at the filter, or both places?

Filter can suddenly become clogged if bits of epoxy you used to try and fabricate your fuel system got pulled in to the fuel flow-very good possibility.

If you haven't already fixed your epoxy job, trust me-do it. Either order a screw on fitting like the one RCI sells that will still make your system -6AN all the way through, or weld the top bung with a steel fitting.

I had a buddy about 5 years ago try to metal "bond" a -6 fitting to the end of his fuel rail to attach a stainless line. Worked for about 2 days before gas smell permeated the cabin while he was driving. We both got out and popped the hood. Sure enough the fitting just broke off and sprayed fuel everywhere. He was lucky the vapors didn't catch fire from the exhaust mani.

Bootleg rigging your fuel system can kill you-just do it right.

I didn't do the epoxy job previous owner did.. now I did have a leak somewhere from possibly the epoxy is on the sending unit as I tried starting the car there's a little puddle of fuel although I can't find out where its coming from. The filter does not have any epoxy on it just the fuel pump. when I removed my fuel filter I manually turn on the fuel pump and fuel poured out. It was never making it past the fuel filter. And trust me the correcting the epoxy problem is now at the top of my to do list as a main priority

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back