The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Fuel pump rewire relay melted

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PrimerPLus

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 28, 2011
Tokyo, Asia
I was driving home last night and stopped by the store. Went back out and started the car up. It idled for a few and then died.
Then it wouldn't start.
I pulled out my laptop to check for cels. Nothing. I clicked the option to activate fuel pump and nothing. So I knew it was the fuel pump.
So I checked the fuel pump rewire fuse and connection on the battery it was good. I took out the rear seat and checked the connections and it smelled bad like burning plastic. I took it out and cleaned it up and put back together and it started right up. I drove it home.
This is what it looks like.
I have no idea how or why this happened.
Any suggestions on what I should check or do besides replace these.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Just from that picture it appears that the wire got hot enough to melt the connecter end itself. It looks like the relay itself is not melted? Perhaps you can follow that wire back and see what powers it. Something melted that side and that could lead to a clue as to where it happened. The relay could be shorted internally or short to ground. If it was a direct short it should blow the fuse. Surprised since it didn't blow the fuse? I suspect over time the past 2-3 years the draw loaded on that wiring connector end was not rated for such high current. Usually the load that the relay is transferring must match the wiring size of the component you want to power up; in this case it is your fuel pump. I have seen several connector ends fail that are sold over the counter at most parts houses. The wire size and the current load dictate on whether to increase your wire size to handle the load. Heavy duty relays with a fused circuit installed can last an long time. Don't skimp on a tiny ground wire, that is one of the most important parts of your circuit besides the +12v power wire and connector end.

Trace the main power wire that connects from the battery to the relay, make sure it isn't contacting anything.

If you do not have a short then more than likely you have a ground that may not be as good as when you originally made it. Over time they can become corroded and cause an increase in current flow which causes more heat. I would also recommend installing a fuse on the power side and switch side of the relay so a worst case scenario doesn't happen and you have a car that's on fire. Double check your grounds if you have looked and already clarified that you don't have a short somewhere.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back