The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Fuel pump rewire questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

black97spyder

Proven Member
Oct 13, 2012
independence, Kansas
I know this has probably been covered several times but I couldnt find anything helpful by searching.

I am about to do the STM fuel pump rewire on my 97 awd talon and at the same time im going to install a walboro 190. Ive been looking at the vfaq for the fuel pump rewire on a 2g but it is for a fwd.

in the vfaq it showed the fuel pump connector on top of the assembly to be only a 2 wire connector and when I just took my inspection cover off and removed my plug from the assembly and it has like 6 wires.

So 1: what wire is the 12v pump wire that I will have to cut and splice to connect to pin #87 (for the pump side) and pin #86 for the car side of the wire?

And 2: does the 2g fwd and 2g awd have different fuel pump connectors on top, which would be the reason there is a different looking connector?

Thanks sick society!!! That was the exact answer I was looking for. When I was looking just a second ago at the oem plug it seems that the black w/ blue stripe and all black wire are couple gauges bigger in diameter so common sense told me that those had to be the power and ground

LOL no problem one question I see a lot of people rewiring there fuel pump whats the purpose of doing so. To me 12v system is a 12 volt system so is there really any purpose or gains for doing this to your car? I see tons of people doing so just didn't know if theres a reason. Oh and did you get your rear brakes done?

Yeah rear brakes are done and complete with new drilled and slotted rotors :)

and yeah bro the rewire makes a big difference, the wire the factory uses to power the pump is like 18 gauge and during high rpms some people have seen voltage drop down as far as 10.3 volts during WOT compared to the 12-13.5 volts the pump needs to see to keep pumping the max amount of fuel.

its like when you have a big sound system and the lights dim when the subs hit. The reason the lights dim is because its not getting enough power. So if u loose some voltage to the fuel pump then it wont be spinning at its max rpm thus not pumping the most gas you can get out of it... once u give it a steady 13 volts the flow goes up pretty dramatically over what it would flow stock

Last edited:
Okay makes sense I figured it was along them line. I have done stereo systems just didn't figure it applied to fuel pumps but I guess its a bigger deal when your pushing the limits. Thanks for the answer now you can have your thread back LOL Glad everything is coming along for ya. Guess I will be doing this fuel pump rewiring also down the road.

Ya that's why I like it on here also I can help a lot when it comes to most diagnostics or reading a schematic but I am learning a lot about the aftermarket game and how everything works with th ese cars since I work on normal cars everyday not so much the cars with mods. I will pm you if I need anything.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back