The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

fuel pump problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boostcrazyawd

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 11, 2006
howell, Michigan
ok so the problem started as i was driving and sudenly my car dies, so i pull over starts rite back up. then i got were i was goin then went to leave and my car will start but only run for a few seconds. what i have found is that for some reason the fuel pump is turning off, i can hear the relay click and then the motor dies. i tryed jumping the test plug and nothing happens. i dont know what else to look for any help would be appreciated. thanks

It sounds like a wire may have been shorted out somewhere between the MPI relay and the pump. Is your pump rewired? If so, check the relay at the pump assembly. I recently saw a problem similar to this - turns out the ground on the rewire relay had been rattled loose and wasn't always making a full contact with the relay.

Another (kind of small) possibility is that your fuel pump is on its way out. Fuel pumps are similar to starter motors, in that they can develop "dead" spots, causing them to work intermittently. Coincidentally, the way to check this is also similar to checking for a dead spot in a starter motor - give it a good "whack" and see if you can get her going. ;)

This definitely sounds like a wiring issue, though. If the external wiring checks out, it might be a good idea to pull the pump itself and make sure all wires are making a solid connection onto their posts on the pump. It would definitely help to know whether the pump is rewired or not - we can narrow it down from there :)

the fuel pump is a few months old 255 walbro. wiring is good the pump turns on but then turns off so it is working but is shuting off after the engine starts. another this is for the past few days my car has been really hard to start like it takes a long time to start then stumbles and dies. this repeats a few times till it warms up a bit. iam starting to suspect the ecu caps leaking.

I've had leaky ECU caps before and both times it failed to give me spark but still gave me fuel. Like femmedsm said i would suggest checking the wiring, and if you haven't already rewire your fuel pump, it makes a world of difference.

BUN

At this point I would susupect ECU as well. A major symptom of leaky caps is that the ECU is not able to keep the fuel pump running once the starter circuit has primed the system.

Go ahead and pull the ECU and let us know what you find. If you've caught the problem early enough, you can send your ECU to be repaired. Contact member "steve" here on DSMTuners and he'll be able to help you out if that is indeed your problem. :)

I had something like that happen to me after I replaced my fuel pump. It turned out it was the filter sock on the pump. It was clogged full of crap from the tank. I would pull the pump and check it. Just one more thing to check of the list.

crazyzx9rguy said:
I had something like that happen to me after I replaced my fuel pump. It turned out it was the filter sock on the pump. It was clogged full of crap from the tank. I would pull the pump and check it. Just one more thing to check of the list.

Usually in this case the fuel pump would continue running, just wouldn't be able to send enough fuel to the injectors to start the car (or keep it running). His problem appears to be that the ECU isn't hearing a signal from the fuel pump, and thus isn't able to keep it running after the starter circuit has done its job of priming the fuel system. :thumb:

i just got the car home and tomarow i am going to pull the ecu and check the caps for leakage. and i am gonna check out the wiring and probaly just do the rewire since it doesnt have it. anything else i should check out? ill let u know what i find out tomarow thanks for the input everyone

well i have found the problem two caps leaked alot and the board is toast its pretty burned up, and a circut on the other side of the board is like melted probaly happened when the caps went. so looks like ill be buyin a new ecu. thanks to everyone that helped me out on this one i really appreciate it :dsm:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back