The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

fuel pump install

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spectr019

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 28, 2004
East Lansing, Michigan
I have the detailed instructions from the Haynes manual, but I hear a lot of different things from what everybody says about an aftermarket pump. Can anybody send me a link please to a step by step/however install instruction for the FP 190lph for a 2G? Thanks a lot

Ben :talon:

Before you come back with the usual problem everyone has, which is stated in the VFAQ.

The fitting on top is fragile and the one on the bottem sucks balls to get off also

If its absoultly impossible to get either of them off, people have cut the hard line on top and then just reinstalled with some fuel line holding both sides together. Just a thought. I hope you dont have that problem, but if you want me to go more indepth with that fix just ask. Goodlcuk.

EclipseTrbo420A said:
Before you come back with the usual problem everyone has, which is stated in the VFAQ.

The fitting on top is fragile and the one on the bottem sucks balls to get off also

If its absoultly impossible to get either of them off, people have cut the hard line on top and then just reinstalled with some fuel line holding both sides together. Just a thought. I hope you dont have that problem, but if you want me to go more indepth with that fix just ask. Goodlcuk.

If your using line wrenches, THIS SHOULD NOT BE A PROBLEM! Always use line wrenches for stuff like that. The bottom one is easier from my experiences though. Although having gas drip down in your shirt and smelling liek gas for the next week is no fun. OH and that the plastic thing is always a pain to get on right. Grr I hate plastic thigs, they always thread wrong. Have fun!

I had no issues taking off both fittings when I did my pump. Of course I used the proper Snap-on flair line fitting wrenches. I got the top fitting off first like the vfaq instructions which I then found out was basically useless because the other end doesn't have a swival fitting so you can't rotate the rubber hose enough turns to take it off the pump assembly before the hose gets all kinked up, so I then had to remove the bottom connection.

daren_p said:
I had no issues taking off both fittings when I did my pump. Of course I used the proper Snap-on flair line fitting wrenches. I got the top fitting off first like the vfaq instructions which I then found out was basically useless because the other end doesn't have a swival fitting so you can't rotate the rubber hose enough turns to take it off the pump assembly before the hose gets all kinked up, so I then had to remove the bottom connection.

Mine came off wiht a line wrench too, but sometimes they dont :(

It took quite a bit of effort to break the bottom fitting loose, but once I did it was smooth sailing. I used a pipe on the wrench for the larger fitting to hold it in place while I concentrated on the smaller fitting. Worked well for me. I wrapped the wrenches with small towels to prevent the gas from running down my arm. It worked, but my hands smelled like gas for a couple days. :p

When I was having trouble with my clogged return line (before I realized that was the problem) I was able to swap between the stock pump and the Walbro (or vice versa) in under 30 minutes. And that was without rushing things. It's not that difficult of a job as long as you follow the VFAQ and don't break anything.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back