The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

fuel management

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

99gsx0221

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Haven, Michigan
i currently have a 14b and am getting sick of this FUEL CUT crap. I want to get the extremepsi.com fuel management packet that has: 650cc injectors, walbaro fuel pump, and a safc controller. Could i use this for a while on its own, or would i need a dsm link?

You will beable to use it without dsm link but you will not beable adjust your timing. So when you tune make sure the timing is ok at higher rpm's and gears. Im going to runa safc2 untill I can afford AEM EMS.

Since you have a 2g, I'd go straight for DSMlink. You are going to need a logger for using the AFC, and by the time you add everything up, you will have only saved $100, you still won't be able to log knock, and you will be piggyback tricking your ECU instead of making actual changes to timing/fuel settings. You won't regret it! Go link!

The 99's usually dont have an eprom so it doesnt madder if hes a 2g. He can buy a safc2 for a little over $200, tune it yourself or bring it to a dyno. After he buys dsmlink, an eprom, and a palm or laptop he might as well buy AEM.

JayRolla said:
The 99's usually dont have an eprom so it doesnt madder if hes a 2g. He can buy a safc2 for a little over $200, tune it yourself or bring it to a dyno. After he buys dsmlink, an eprom, and a palm or laptop he might as well buy AEM.
Yeah I'm still gonna have to disagree with you here. AEM is like $1500. And it's much less plug and play AND user friendly. DSMlink is unbelievable easy to use.

I and many others managed laptops for under $150 (mine was $75 OMG )

The eprom is the only hard part...and oh look at this!: http://www.dsmtuners.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=41969&sort=1&cat=7&page=1

The ecu situation makes the gap a little larger, but if you have access to a cheap laptop I'd still do DSMlink. AFC's are rapidly becoming unpopular, as they become very difficult to use on anything larger than 650cc injectors.

Trust me, I'm one for pinching pennies, but I regret doing 550's, AFC, logger. I got the vent gauge holder for the AFC, paid someone to wire it in correctly, paid for tuning, etc etc. Now I'm going to DSMlink and will be doing it all myself.

I'd bet anything you won't hear anyone say they regret getting DSMlink.

My .02

Yes your right DSM link is a great unit, im not saying its not. Its just that my mechanic and the dyno shop here keeps telling me I should get AEM because the advantages you will get over other EMS's is way worth the extra cash. Thats why im going to go with an safc2 untill I can afford it. Because with tuning you want the best for your car right?

JayRolla said:
Yes your right DSM link is a great unit, im not saying its not. Its just that my mechanic and the dyno shop here keeps telling me I should get AEM because the advantages you will get over other EMS's is way worth the extra cash. Thats why im going to go with an safc2 untill I can afford it. Because with tuning you want the best for your car right?

I'd ask your mechanic what the "advantages" are. The only thing I can think of is you can use it on any car as opposed to just turbo DSMs with DSMlink. DSMlink can take you to 800hp and beyond. Unless you are a hardcore racer DSMlink will do all you need. And if you just want something a little better than stock and don't want to sink in a lot of money, the AFC route works fine (there are plenty of folks hitting 350 or more hp with AFCs).

My observation: If you took 100 DSMers that had tuning devices, 2 would have AEM, 25 would have DSMlink and the rest would have an AFC. 5 years from now I bet the numbers are 3-aem, 60-dsmlink, and 37-afc.

I'm curious what your mechanic is going to say, please post back.

Thats the same thing I asked the dyno shop. Why is it so much better than dsmlink. He responded we have been able to pull more power out of a car equiped with AEM than a car with dsmlink. He swore up and down he can get more out of any car with AEM. I still may go with dsmlink if I can find a good cheap eprom. I will ask my mechanic about it again because he is a known dsmguru and for some reason hates dsmlink but I do want to know exactly why.

basically, i want to get rid of the fuel cut and run more boost. thats why i wanna get the package

There are many advantage of AEM over DSMLINK, but for most people they aren't worth it. I have both. For 99% of dsm's the LINK is the best bet.

If anybody thinks that DSMLINK is "better" than I suggest you download the AEM software and play around with it. DSMLINK is great, I love it for it's simplicity, it's features, and it's price, but it doesn't compare to AEM. But like I said 99% of people can't or won't use the benefits of the AEM.

GVR4592 said:
There are many advantage of AEM over DSMLINK, but for most people they aren't worth it. I have both. For 99% of dsm's the LINK is the best bet.

If anybody thinks that DSMLINK is "better" than I suggest you download the AEM software and play around with it. DSMLINK is great, I love it for it's simplicity, it's features, and it's price, but it doesn't compare to AEM. But like I said 99% of people can't or won't use the benefits of the AEM.
I don't think anyone is disputing AEM is better, but better how and for who? Not too many people are knowledgeable and capable enough to get out of it what you can. For most folks DSMlink is easy enough and able enough to get them wherever they want to go.

But you pretty much backed up what I said, but I figured for like 97% of people. You may be right more towards the 99 mark, as there are probably 500 people on here with tuning devices, and only a handful are running AEM's package.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back