The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G fuel leaking from left cylinder

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

import47

Probationary Member
Oct 6, 2020
San Antonio, Texas
95 gst stock with 255 fuel pump and I'm leaking fuel from the left cylinder no fuses blown

It is fuel and not oil

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I think that's water/coolant. You will get coolant oozing on the passanger side exhaust port when the head gasket isn't sealing. It doesn't always appear there but it is a hot spot for HG leaks. Pull the spark plug on that cylinder and see if it is filled with any liquid.

If it's dripping like that you should be able to smell what it is. If it's fuel you would immediately know by the smell and that's is damn dangerous right there by exhaust. If the car is warmed up fully I'm going to guess it isn't gas or it likely would've caught fire. I'm sure you can check easily.

I totally agree, i have my engine tore down right now for HG failure and that was the exact area where most of the the coolant was coming from the exhaust manifold gasket seating. Upon research it is a very common area for the 4g63 to have a leak at.

It's fuel like I said, with P1500, P0304, and P0202 engine codes

Were is a good place to get a fuel pump relay?

Will uping from the stock 450 injectors to 550 or 650 need a tune for the unavailability of 450?

Last edited by a moderator:
Were is a good place to get a fuel pump relay
Will uping from the stock 450 injectors to 550 or 650 need a tune for the unavailability of 450
Ecu does not know what size injectors you have. So put bigger ones in ecu happily starts dumping lots more fuel because it's sending a pulse width calculated for 450s. You must install something for this. The most popular is probably dsmlink.

Put in UV dye in coolant, run 5 minutes, and use a UV light pointing there to rule out coolant leak.
No it is fuel, engine idles rough.
Engine codes are P0202, P0304, and P1500
Spark plugs are black soot, meaning running rich, and there is a strong fuel smell.
Exhaust is white is intermediate puffing like fuel

Last edited by a moderator:
White smoke = coolant being burned

I won't light a match :thumb: ROFL

If the OP thinks it is fuel, then try what FIC says to do a "DIY" cleaning and see if it resolves the issue. I do this all the time and it isn't hard.

I did find a set of 450's for sale, but had to do some leg work.

If the OP thinks it is fuel, then try what FIC says to do a "DIY" cleaning and see if it resolves the issue. I do this all the time and it isn't hard.

I did find a set of 450's for sale, but had to do some leg work.
Not a bad idea. Back flush also 👍

I'm trying to fix the car and not crack jokes of people's plights if your not going to help just keep ur comments to yourself and don't post otherwise if any one else has experienced a similar issue on there car
It is stock with a wahlbro 255 pump that is it new Injectors new igntion new fpr all less then 1000 miles of install before this happened
Everything else is still original to the car

The fuel is definitely getting out of the combustion chamber somehow and all i can think of other than what tk said about a stuck open injector is a breach through the head gasket where raw fuel is escaping through the exhaust valves due to them not sealing correctly because of carbon build up or a slightly bent valve. In my most recent experience it was coolant while it is gas in your case. I would do a leak down test to measure compression to rule out bent valves or leaking head gasket. If compression is low in that cylinder the head will need to come off to assess what repair needs to be made. In my case with a leak in the exact spot was warpage to the head deck. You may just need to do a head gasket repair like im currently in the middle of.
Your next step should definitely be getting some cylinder compression measurements, that can tell you what to do next.

Update
With new Rc 440 injector it was doing the same thing
Found a resistor pack replaced it and it stopped dumping a waterfall of fuel now it is stating cylinder 2 fuel injector is open
I suspect now that the EC capacitor for 2 is leaked
Plus my ideal spark advance is 8.5 to 14. And when I apply throttle is kills it self

You could have a damaged ecu, or injector wiring that is shorted to ground somewhere, unplug that injector, turn the key on and use a volt meter across the injector plug terminals and see if it reads 12v across the pins, it shouldn't of course.

Not always.

Likely what's going on is so much fuel going into the cylinder that it's mostly unburned and is being blown out the exhaust as droplets. If an injector is stuck open that would make sense: The usual idling condition is (ballpark) injector open 2% of the time; if it's 100% that's maybe 50x more fuel.

It is true that a fuel/air mixture with way too much fuel is incombustable and would be the case within the cylinder since it would get only the normal amount of air. After leaving the exhaust, it would be mixed with lots more air, especially at the sides of the white cloud, so ...

Wow ... all kinds of bad "And the next thing that happened was ..." begin right there.

Likely what's going on is so much fuel going into the cylinder that it's mostly unburned and is being blown out the exhaust as droplets. If an injector is stuck open that would make sense: The usual idling condition is (ballpark) injector open 2% of the time; if it's 100% that's maybe 50x more fuel.

It is true that a fuel/air mixture with way too much fuel is incombustable and would be the case within the cylinder since it would get only the normal amount of air. After leaving the exhaust, it would be mixed with lots more air, especially at the sides of the white cloud, so ...

Wow ... all kinds of bad "And the next thing that happened was ..." begin right there.
It was raw fuel with no smoke
And white fuels smoke on a m113 or m2 fuel smoke on new injectors
I think the ECU is bad

Ecu is installed and now it won't start I hear clicking but can't find the mpi Location for it but the clicking relay is in the center console on a 4 pin relay

It started and then died out and now just cranks and refuses couple of times it would start and then died
May reinstall a 255 and see if that works otherwise I'm lost

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back