The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

fuel issue, car stranded help fast

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forcedfedgsx

20+ Year Contributor
Apr 29, 2003
OhioUS
car died when driving, i was gettting low readings on my voltmeter connected to the o2 sensor and car died. it turns over but wont start and it doesnt smell like its flooding itself so i dont think its getting fuel. I have a 255 fp and i believe i used to be able to hear it with the ignition on but now i dont hear anything. So this sounds like my pump died or something. can you hear it with the ignition on usually? i know it depends on the car but i used to hear it when driving.
2g gsx 255 fp

Originally posted by forcedfedgsx
car died when driving, i was gettting low readings on my voltmeter connected to the o2 sensor and car died. it turns over but wont start and it doesnt smell like its flooding itself so i dont think its getting fuel. I have a 255 fp and i believe i used to be able to hear it with the ignition on but now i dont hear anything. So this sounds like my pump died or something. can you hear it with the ignition on usually? i know it depends on the car but i used to hear it when driving.
2g gsx 255 fp

Ok, if you use to hear it that helps. First turn the key off and back on, it should run for a second or so before shutting off.

Test the fuel pump relay for operation.

You may just get lucky and a couple smacks with an 18" 2x4 on the gas tank will shake it back into temporary operation. Don't hit it so hard to dent the tank. With a test light, multi meter, volt meter test the harness connector for power, again this will only occur for a second or so when the key is turned on so it's best to have some help cycling the key. You can pull the starter selonoid wire off and turn to crank position which will engage the fuel pump all the time but the engine will not turn over. This will give more diagnostic time rather than having to sit there switching it on and off.

Jumping the harness plug power supply you should then be able to test to see if the return ground circuit is good. If nothing shows with test light then in all probability the pump has failed and need replacing. If good then you are faced with what may take more time to trace and the best decision will be to get car towed where it can be worked on safely.

These are just quick responses if you are dead on the roadside and this might get you home.

If anyone else more info unique to the circuit please jump in here for I don't have book in front of me to bail him out.

Cheers,
GTM

thanks its back down a dead end street so im not too worried about the position but i definitley need to get it running
i will test to see if its getting power

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back