The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

420A Fuel Injector Rail and regulator help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diablo75303

Probationary Member
Sep 21, 2019
North Platte, Nebraska
hello everyone really need help.I have a 95 Eclipse RS 5 speed N/A 420A and pretty confused about the correct fuel rail and regulator.I cant see a regulator anywhere on the rail or near the fuel tank .The car was preowned and who knows what the previous owned did to it but my fuel pressure is severely high and according to some,the regulator and filter should be near the fuel tank but it isn't the filter is on the firewall and I dont if the previous owner just stuck the wrong fuel rail on it so I dont have a clue what the correct fuel rail looks like for this car.According to the Haynes manual ,the regulator is integrated into the fuel rail (part of the rail) and not separate .If anyone can help that would be great .

on a 95 the fuel filter should be on the firewall.
the regulator is the round thing on the passenger side of the fuel rail, there should be a return too.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

How do you know your fuel pressure is high?
:aha: cause it was smoking weed

this link has some info on the 95 rail and how to change the regulator

and this is what the return-less rail on the later models looks like, it has a port for testing the fuel pressure.
there is supposed to be a cap on the port but its missing in the pics

Last edited:
On the 2g 420A the pressure regulator is attached to a connector on the fuel filter which connects to a high pressure hose coming out of the fuel tank.
It's not near the fuel tank .The filter is on the firewall in the engine compartment

How do you know your fuel pressure is high?
I hooked up a fuel pressure gauge and it was all the way to 100psi engine off key on :oops:

:aha: cause it was smoking weed

this link has some info on the 95 rail and how to change the regulator

and this is what the return-less rail on the later models looks like, it has a port for testing the fuel pressure.
there is supposed to be a cap on the port but its missing in the pics
yes thats what my fuel rail looks like exactly .I cant find a FPR anywhere on it.Im thinking someone before me changed some stuff around but if so they obviously forgot to install an FPR

on a 95 the fuel filter should be on the firewall.
the regulator is the round thing on the passenger side of the fuel rail, there should be a return too.

thanks !!now is that rail in the picture the correct one for a 95 N/A 420A?There looks to be a plugged line that looks like it runs to the fuel tank,im not sure if thats a return or what?Whoever owned my Eclipse before me obviously screwed some things up.

the 95 rail with the regulator on the side has a return line that goes back to the tank.

seem to me like the 95 rail was replaced with a rail from a 96-99 car so now you have no regulator and no way for excess pressure bleed off.

this is what the original fuel rail on a 1995 car looks like
picture-075-jpg.75399

i got 3 options for ya.

#################
you can try to find a 95 rail and regulator to get back to the original configuration.

################
If you want to use the fuel rail you have, which is for the return-less system, the easiest thing to do is buy an aftermarket regulator, mount it on the firewall, take the Schrader valve out of the test port, make up some lines going from the test port to the regulator and the regulator to the return line, and install them.

that would probably run you $150, maybe less if you take into account the fact that i suck at math.

one like this isnt gonna be the best quality but i will be better than a bootleg aeromotive off ebay
(--) Fuel Pressure Regulator, Adjustable, Inline, Return Style, 35-70 psi,
Part Number: TNK-AFPR1

##########################
one more thing that might possibly work:

so on you line from the fuel rail to the filter, it should be like in the picture below.
right above the filter in the picture is the late model regulator.
they both are of the banjo bolt variety.
If you can fiid the right size bolt to double stack the regulator and the hose, like in the other pic, it should work.
you also would need to find the right plug to seal the outlet where the hard line screwd in.
the coming off the regulator just needs a fuel hose on it and the the other end of the hose would go to the return line.

the bolt would look like this. this link is a good place to starl looking for one

Ya it looks like Dustyboner figured out it's different for the 95 NT. I was looking in my 99 NT Mitsu service manual. So follow his advice.
ah no worries you were helpful too.Thanks

the 95 rail with the regulator on the side has a return line that goes back to the tank.

seem to me like the 95 rail was replaced with a rail from a 96-99 car so now you have no regulator and no way for excess pressure bleed off.

this is what the original fuel rail on a 1995 car looks like
picture-075-jpg.75399

i got 3 options for ya.

#################
you can try to find a 95 rail and regulator to get back to the original configuration.

################
If you want to use the fuel rail you have, which is for the return-less system, the easiest thing to do is buy an aftermarket regulator, mount it on the firewall, take the Schrader valve out of the test port, make up some lines going from the test port to the regulator and the regulator to the return line, and install them.

that would probably run you $150, maybe less if you take into account the fact that i suck at math.

one like this isnt gonna be the best quality but i will be better than a bootleg aeromotive off ebay
(--) Fuel Pressure Regulator, Adjustable, Inline, Return Style, 35-70 psi,
Part Number: TNK-AFPR1

##########################
one more thing that might possibly work:

so on you line from the fuel rail to the filter, it should be like in the picture below.
right above the filter in the picture is the late model regulator.
they both are of the banjo bolt variety.
If you can fiid the right size bolt to double stack the regulator and the hose, like in the other pic, it should work.
you also would need to find the right plug to seal the outlet where the hard line screwd in.
the coming off the regulator just needs a fuel hose on it and the the other end of the hose would go to the return line.

the bolt would look like this. this link is a good place to starl looking for one
That rail in the first pic is that part number

M04669377?​

now is there a separate regulator that attaches on the end of that or is it integrated with the fuel rail?I know where I can order a rail like that if thats the one I need but unsure if I also have to get a separate FPR.Yes I was looking into possibly installing an aftermarket adjustable FBR but wasnt sure what all parts I would need .Thanks!

so you would need the fuel rail, the regulator and retaining clip

im almost positive all 3 are discontinued for mitsu and mopar

here is just the rail on EBAY

you might get lucky and find a rail with all of it. usually the regulator gets removed so it drains easily. an individual seller might not remove it but any place selling a bunch of used parts will.

is ABC the only junkyard in your area?

so you would need the fuel rail, the regulator and retaining clip

im almost positive all 3 are discontinued for mitsu and mopar

here is just the rail on EBAY

you might get lucky and find a rail with all of it. usually the regulator gets removed so it drains easily. an individual seller might not remove it but any place selling a bunch of used parts will.

is ABC the only junkyard in your area?
yes ABC is the only local yard.

ok,so I MIGHT have found the fpr that goes on the end of the rail.But the thing is what does the retaining ring look like?Is it just a large snap ring?

.But the thing is what does the retaining ring look like?Is it just a large snap ring?
yup

you could try

but just cause it on the site doesn't mean they actually have them to sell.
alot of the time the sites database is just out dated. you order it and then a day or 2 later you get an email saying the part isn't available. If your gonna try to get from that link, you might just wanna call the number for that place and make sure they have it first.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back