The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Fuel gauge still wont work

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95_GSTBOOSTIN

Probationary Member
Feb 24, 2012
Kalamazoo, Michigan
:banghead: ok i have replaced the fuel level sensor 2 times with oem ones from the junkyard and one i know was good because it came out of my friends car but the gas gauge still wont work. I have grounded out the gauge wire and the gauge still goes up to full, and i grounded the low fuel light and that still works. Can somebody please point me in the right direction.

It's FWD and so was the donor car. I'm not doing a swap, i mean if i had the money i would. Like i said everything else tested out good im going to check the ohms on the fuel level sensor tomorrow. Is there a diagram or the wiring for that because i can't seem to find one. I'm just trying to rule out every possible thing that could be wrong or if theres a way i can rewire it all to make it all work?

I had the same issue in my car , come to find out the sender was not aligned correctly . I have to loosen the plastic locking ring and move it a small amount. The float was stuck on the inside of the tank. I would take another look at it just to be sure.

I'll take another look at it tomorrow, and I do know that the float setup is different between the gst and the gsx, the gst is a bolt down. But I do appreciate the advice and will try it.

Check to make sure the black wire in the 3 pin connector coming from the fuel gauge sender has good continuity to ground. If so (and gauge reads full when you ground the yellow wire with key on), the sender itself (inside the tank) probably has the ground wire broken on it.

So that black ground wire could be what's wrong. Because its not grounded out, and the wires on the sender are all good. So pretty much just fix that ground and I should be good?

Fixed the ground, still nothing. I have noticed that before I tighten the fuel level sensor down the gas light doesn't come on then once I start to tighten it on comes the gas light. So I'm stumped.

Here are the circuit diagrams for your fuel gauge. The ground wire is attached at Ground Point #8. Check that this ground is attached to the crossmember as in the picture. (if not, just ground this wire at a easy location). It is also attached for your reference.
Hope this helps! (Need rep points...chicklets are hard to get!)

Attachments

• fuel gauge 2.jpg
    fuel gauge 2.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 1,351
  • fuel gauge 1.jpg
    fuel gauge 1.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 1,068
  • fuel gauge ground location #8.gif
    fuel gauge ground location #8.gif
    5.5 KB · Views: 1,281
while the sender is out of the car can you move the float and see if your gauge does anything.

Gauge didn't move but gas light went off as soon as I pulled the sender, I really don't know what to do anymore.

Is there a way I can just run my own fuel gauge? I'm so frustrated with this its givin me a huge headache.

Report you findings, we can try to see what's up.
What were the 'ohms' of your sending unit?
Did you measure 'ground' on pin 3 of connector (is pin 3 connected to ground)
You already mentioned that if you ground the Yellow wire, the gauge goes up. Did you ground this wire at the connector of the sending unit?

The sending unit wasn't pulling any ohms, and I measured the plug too and that was at 22ohms. I'm starting to think I just need a new wiring harness for the fuel gauge.

The ground wire would go into the bigger plug by the fuel pump then nothing out of that.
From sending unit to I believe 8 prong plug.

OK, lets try to get this solved....
With the key on, If you take a piece of wire and push into pin #4 (yellow wire) of the 8-pin plug and ground it to something, your gauge goes up to full? If so, you wiring to your gauge and the gauge itself is probably OK

Now, measure the ohms of the black wire in the three-pin plug (pin #2) of the wiring harness (the one that plugs into the sending unit), and see if it is connected to ground (should be zero ohms).

If these check out, Then is MUST be the sending unit. Measure the sending unit (ohms) between pins #2 and #3. 'luv2rallye' said in his post the sending unit should change between 4 and 112 ohms, as you move the float. If you do not measure anything, check the wiring 'inside' the sending unit. See if anything is broken. However, you did mention that the sending unit was 'working' in another car...correct?

It is a simple circuit, the gauge gets 'grounded' through the sending unit, as it moves the resistance gets higher. Thus the gauge goes down.

Now that it is working...click the 'add reputation points' below! (LOL)

I'm going to try a brand new sending unit and see if that solves it, because I think that sending unit may have gone bad. The thing that still has me lost is that I bolt down the sending unit the gas light comes on, I un bolt it the gas light goes off. I'll update you when I get the new sending unit from mitsu, until then thank you for all your help.

I'm having similar issues... Fuel gauge doesn't move at all and the light to indicate low fuel never comes on (even when I turn the key to the on position.) Removed the sending unit and replaced the fuel lever sensor. Checked resistance on the sending unit and it's in the range that it should be. Maybe its something with the gauge cluster? This is for a 90 gsx.

Similar problem. 99 GS. I had taken out the engine, repaired it completely, and put it back in. Car works great now, but the gas gauge won't move from below empty. I filled the car with gas since it was almost empty and the low gas indicator light turned on.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back