The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Fuel Filter Need to be replaced?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevinw627

Probationary Member
Dec 30, 2006
Augusta, Georgia
Guys, I have a 97 Eclipse GSX Completely stock. Only mod is Greddy BOV. The symptoms are it runs great but when you get 4.5k RPM and greater when accelerating hard it seems to loose power, and sometime you can here a faint ping like when running cheap gas in a luxury car. I have been running 87 octane in it just FYI. Could that be my problem? Its just not pulling like it should. I have done a boost leak test, and I fixed my 2 leaks which were the BOV, and arounf the TB. I also did plugs and wires . I really feel like this is a fuel problem. No boost leaks and no misfire. Just loss of power in higher rpm range when accelerating hard.

Guys please help me out with diagnosing, The car is so close to running perfect. Im thinking its a clogged fuel filter, how do you know the difference between a bad filter or a bad pump? Thanks please advise.:dsm:

Just curious...

Does'nt it say to use Premium gas on the gas cover? Do you knock at all using the 87 octane? I have always been scared of using it...

howie~

I loose power and Ping, the tank is about empty so when I refill it will definately be with 93 ocatn e fuel and hopefully that will cure the loss in power.

Using good gas can make an amazing difference. If you have one close, go to a Chevron station. Their Techron gas has supplements in it to help clean out your fuel system. I used 87 octane for a while in my Z28 Camaro and after a while it would hardly run. I paid a shop $75 for a diagnosis and they said go there and get some good gas. I went to chevron and it was better after just a few miles.

After filling up with 93, reset the ECU. This will reset the Octane Value back to normal. Right now, the ECU is probably jacking your timing because of the horrible knock you are getting with 87. After "seeing" over 5 counts of knock on a consistent basis, the ECU begins to pull timing. It stores this timing adjustment as a long term value. If you don't reset the ECU, you will be running at reduced timing for awhile until the ECU no longer sees all the knock.

That is assuming that all of your knock is due to the 87 octane.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back