The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Fuel Filter from hell

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PFC_CiarlilloM

10+ Year Contributor
May 22, 2011
Euclid, Ohio
So I am trying to change my fuel filter on my 1995 Eagle Talon ESI. Even though its not turbo its located under the brake/windshield wiper reservoir. Well I tried everything... a whole can of PB, two wrenches at a time, and everything else but its not coming off. Is there any tricks, tips, or methods to go about taking it off easier? Thanks

Luck, some cursing..Impact wrench.

Just keep trying, and leave the PB on for at least a day or to to work it's way deep into the threads.

If and when you get it off, replace it with the best damn filter money can buy, you don't want to do this again.

BTW don't heat it!

LOL...dont heat it. That's awesome. You know, I'm sure someone has tried it. And later became well versed in burn treatment. :D

Fuel filters suck. When I did mine, I cussed it....alot. I actually ended up breaking my fuel line. And when the filter was out of the car (with the broken piece of fuel line still bolted onto the bottom), I had to get two wrenches, and STAND on it lightly jumping to get it to break free.

I dont have much advise either...patience and leverage. Get two wrenches on it and secure it so it wont twist. My securing wrench came loose and thats how mine got twisted. So I said EFF it and twisted it off and just repaired the line. I was tired of messing with it.

i gave up on mine after 2 hours and said F it, it will last untill i replace all the lines with higher flowing ones ROFL

I just did mine like to weeks ago. What I did was use impact wrench to get the top banjo loose. Then don't remove the two size 14 securing it yet. I grabbed some vicegrips and held the size 19 in place with a friend and used a size 14 wrench to break it. Once you break the seal, loosen the two securing bolts. Then just twist off. Hope it helps

Thanks guys! I am pretty sure its the original but needless to say this sucker is taking a lot longer than I hoped. Ill just keep spraying PB and cursing since i dont have an impact wrench :/ Then maybe the big guy upstairs will give me some luck LOL.

@4g63tc funny thing... The guy from AutoZone told me to heat it. I just laughed my a@# off and said fuel again... Two seconds later he was like oh yeah thatd be a bad idea LOL. I might have just saved his life one day.

So after two whole days of cursing, spraying PB, cursing some more, and spraying even more PB I finally got the fuel filter off. Wow what a relief it was. I'm changing this thing every 3 months now LOL.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back