The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Front roll stopper/ "motor mount"

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahaidet

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 9, 2005
Akron, Ohio
I am going through the painful process of assembling a car that I purchased disassembled and in boxes, and this is my first DSM. (seemed like a good idea at the time :rolleyes: ) Anyhow I am slowly getting everything back together. The guy who owned the car before me labeled very little; luckily the factory service manual, vfaqs, other websites and Mitsubishi CAPS program have been my guides for putting the puzzle back together. I am nearly ready to drop the engine in the car (this weekend) but I have looked at the motor mounts and realized something that seemed out of place. The front roll stopper (near the radiator) center hole measures nearly 0.650 inches (I used calipers) the bolt that CAPS calls for is a 10mm x75mm. 10mm= roughly 0.390 inches. The hole through the mount that comes off the engine measures about 0.420 inches which seems right for a 10mm. So CAPS seems right. But the front roll stopper hole seeems really large to me! Is their a bushing that goes in there besides the metal one that is molded to the rubber? Or is it normal to have nearly a 1/4 inch of play between the bolt and rubber/metal bushing that is pressed into the roll stopper assembly?? Seems like alot of play when I look at all the other mounts. I ordered a new roll stopper from Mitsu and the new one is the same size. And CAPS doesn't show any additional bushings that I can find. So if anyone knows if this is right or can measure theres or look at there assembled motor mount and let me know it would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!
The car is a 1991 AWD Manual transmission (dont think it matters but just in case).

I had the same problem when I pulled my motor. I was putting it back in and noticed I didnt have a big enough bolt but yet the hole on the mount wasnt big enough for the actual rubber mount. That didnt make sense. Anyways I just drilled out the hole bigger on the metal mount and installed a big ass bolt and nut I had laying around. Do whatever works

Thats an idea. I was orginally thinking of machining up a bushing to go into the rubber mount. I have access and expierence to run a lathe, so that wouldnt be a problem. But I would still like to know what is "normal"??
Thanks for the info.

get used to it, your dealing w/ a 14 yr old car that has been previously dissasembled. all the bolts are not going to be perfect. find a bolt that fits and screw it in.

I would agree that it is a 14 year old car. And I would agree that not everything is going to be perfect. However, it is thinking like that (its just a *insert random part*) that has caused many a DSM owners cars to not be as reliable as they could be, and what sometimes gives DSM's a not so reliable reputation. Granted a lot of bolts/ fasteners/ random parts are somewhat meaningless, granted I am not working on a $30,000 brand new Evo... and there are many things that the Mitsubishi/Chrysler engineers did that we often change, with better performance/reliability in mind, being knowledgeable owners of these cars. However something as important as the motor mounts I think deserves a little more attention than "just slap a bolt in there and go" I could continue into how bolts and fasteners are one of the most overlooked parts of the car as they are often stressed members that hold our precious ball bearing turbos, and performance camshafts on/in the car and how they come in many grades for strength/coatings/sizes and are crucial to a proper rebuild but I don’t think a lesson in Mechanics of Materials is necessary. The trick to a reliable fast car is balance. Don’t put a huge turbo on if you have blown struts, or if you have massive oil leaks, or if you don’t have proper fuel control or quality tires. You can’t win a race unless you can finish the race. I think posts like, the one above (slap a bolt in it); make this Forum much less useful than it should be. I have ran into many, many, many bolts/nuts/fasteners/wires/hoses/brackets that have not fit right, were damaged, were rusty, worn out, or missing and have dealt with everyone with no help from this forum what so ever using the ever so helpful Mitsubishi CAPS software/ Factory Service Manual/ and Vfaqs however info on the diameter of the front roll stopper through hole is not available in any of those sources, and were this forum was is supposed to help. I have to admit I am little disappointed in the lack of helpful responses on this topic. If I would have posted, "I blew my tranny racing a mustang HELP!" I would have had 2340392483 responses in 10 minutes. Even though the answer to that question is quiet simple, the tranny is a weak point, spend some money on getting it rebuilt properly from one of the experts. Something such as blown trannys I don’t think even needs to be posted, many of you look to this forum as a quick fix without doing a second of research anywhere when the answer is readily available in many of the great resources we are lucky to have for our cars. This question that I posted regarding the front roll stopper may have seemed like that, however I looked long and hard to find out how the car is supposed to be assembled in this area and found little in the line of information. For someone who has their car disassembled a quick measurement with a ruler/ better yet calipers would answer my question. Or even on assembled car this would be a matter of a quick look to see if you can see bushing or if there is any excessive play. Any post/ reply I make I am sure to verify my response with a valid resource, so as to be as helpful as I can be, and to be sure that I am accurate. If you have nothing helpful to say DONT POST! Sorry for the rant however I am quiet frustrated with the lack of useful help.

Dude you need to chill out. I posted to the best of my ability. Im personally not going to research this thing and give you an answer. I told you what I did and in my opinion it works better than what was factory because its a lot tighter, and it looks factory. So next time I see a post by you Ill just skip it and move on. Thanks for saving my time. :thumb:

Your reply was appreciated and I thanked you for your reply. It helped prove that I was not the only one with this problem. Anything that I said that may have offended you I am sorry for. I was mainly reffering to the other post, that was very unhelpful and the lack of posts in general. Everyone has a front roll stopper and lots of people have read this yet no one has replied with anything useful except for you and I thank you for that.

And I was not asking anyone to do hours of research on my problem. I guess all I was saying is if you have information to the specific question and are confident that it will help the person asking it reply. But telling them its a 14 year old car its going to have problems get used to it, I think is useless.

Thats why Ive been trying to answer as many posts as I can. Because this site doesnt seem too helpful anymore. If someone reads a post and they have any idea I think they should post it, it might be helpful. Everyone wants answers but no one wants to answer.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back