The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

Front Mount Intercooler install possible boost leaks and bov question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nonrml4

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 11, 2005
Toledo, Ohio
So I got the front mount installed on Thursday and ever since have been having some boost leak issues.. or what I think are boost leak issues... What does a boost leak feel like? The car will boost 15psi (boost controller set at 15psi) and then stay around 15psi +/- 1psi or so, I will hear an audible whistle though. Also I needed a different j pipe to fit the hard piping, so I lost the nipple for the positive pressure for the boost controller. Right now I'm using a t in the bov line. I know this isn’t a good situation and I’m looking for some alternatives. Right now I’m thinking of drilling a hole in the j pipe and putting a nipple through it and loctiting a nut on the other side using nylon tape on the threads. Any help with any other options would be great. Thanks,

1. Boost leak test, if you havn't done so, your FMIC installation isn't finished, it would be like a doctor performing operation and send you home immediately instead of keep you under observation in case of infections.

2. Tap the J-pipe with an 1/8 npt to 1/8" fitting, drill size is 11/32".

Thank you. I will try this tomorrow.. Im trying to remember if andersons is open.. I will keep the thread updated and let you know what happens. Thanks for your help.

Alright.. time for the update. I have performed a boost leak test at 16 psi. I have used soapy water over all of the connections to look for leaks. I do not have any more bubbles coming out that I can see. I don't have a hissing sound anymore when driving. My boost gauge reads 15 psi (what my mbc was set at before the front mount) and then around 5500 rpm it drops to 12 or so. I have also tapped the j-pipe with a nipple for my pressure source. My question is could it be possible that my 1st gen bov is leaking? Or is it sill probable that I have a leak somewhere and that I just cant find it?
thanks,

Start at the throttle body elbow and work your way back for the leak test. I've heard the 1g bov is good until about 17ish psi before it starts leaking, but I'm sure every one is a bit different.

Dude you have to have a leak. You are using a 16g which should not fall off like that. Are you sure your car held 16psi when you tested?
I am fairly sure. At this point its just like :beatentodeath: . I did start the boost leak test at the TB, and worked my way forward. I am kinda confused why it will hold 15psi and then go down though. I'm sure this is a simple question but I'm tired at this point. I'm going to try to do another boost leak test tomorrow.
thanks for your help guys,

The pressure will eventually bleed off. It won't hold 15 psi forever...at least mine never has.

The pressure will eventually bleed off. It won't hold 15 psi forever...at least mine never has.
Are you refering to the compressor? or the car? I was refering to how the car will build boost hold 15psi then drop off to 12psi. I guess what I am saying is if it wasnt going to hold 15psi wouldn't it not hold it at all? instead go to 12psi?
thanks,

Are you refering to the compressor? or the car? I was refering to how the car will build boost hold 15psi then drop off to 12psi. I guess what I am saying is if it wasnt going to hold 15psi wouldn't it not hold it at all? instead go to 12psi?
thanks,

I was talking about during a boost leak test.

I performed a boost leak test and found a small leak at the throttle body, what happened in the earlier test was I found out that I had the compressor set at 15psi, with no drain on the compresser, so I had to have it set around 23psi with a drain for it to remain at 15psi. I sill am having an issue at 15psi then droppping to 13.. :beatentodeath: What are the other possibilities?

If you still have the stock turbo (T-25) that's probably normal since it can't flow enough air. Either that, or you're actually just getting a boost spike up to 15 psi, then it is settling at 12 psi. Where is the MBC tapped into?

If you still have the stock turbo (T-25) that's probably normal since it can't flow enough air. Either that, or you're actually just getting a boost spike up to 15 psi, then it is settling at 12 psi. Where is the MBC tapped into?
All mods are in profile, it has a evo III 16g. I did the test again and I keep finding little leaks, so Im leaning towards me just being in a hurry and not taking my time finding them all :coy: , The mbc is tapped from a nipple on the j pipe then mbc then wastegate.

My bad for not checking the profile. I would say if you don't have an enormous boost leak, then maybe something is wrong with the wastegate or mbc.

I can test the wastegate by hooking up a hose then blowing into it with compressed air cant I? I have a buddy that will let me have one of his off of a blown 16g. Should I try to test it first or just swap it? Before I do anything Im going to try another boost test.

Edit** I went to my local performance shop looking for longer couplers. One of the employee's has 2 1g's that are modified. He said that it is not unfamiliar for a turbo to drop boost pressure as it nears red line. I am confused at this point. Should I take that as my answer and not worry about it? I am worried because with the stock side mount it would never fall. It would be like a rock at 15psi until I would shift.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back