The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Front Facing oil filter housing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

selmerguy

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 14, 2004
Killeen, Texas
I just got a FF oil filter housing. It seams to only have one port in it. How are you guys plumbing your stock sensors and turbo feed lines when you use these?

Run a 1/8 brass npt "Tee" to that port to run your feed and pressure sensor. Dump the dummy switch.

Well I got this to work just fine. It seams that with the FF housing the oil pressure went down alot? Just looking at the stock gauge. I havent hooked up a real gauge but the stock gauge does show quit a bit less oil pressure. Is this normal with this housing? My oil pump is brand new I dont think I have a problem but without the dummy light I worry a little.

If your really scared, you can always run an aftermarket oil guage to see what kind of oil pressure your getting. It would be worth it just for piece of mind.

Hmm, I dont remember if my oil pressure went down when I swapped. My stock guage dont work anymore so I dont know if it reads low. I need to get an aftermarket one someday.

Well I got this to work just fine. It seams that with the FF housing the oil pressure went down alot? Just looking at the stock gauge. I havent hooked up a real gauge but the stock gauge does show quit a bit less oil pressure. Is this normal with this housing? My oil pump is brand new I dont think I have a problem but without the dummy light I worry a little.

Yeah I second this the forward facing filter does lower oil pressure so be prepared. Why it lowers its don't have a clue? But it does. I read somewhere that you can shim the pressure relief spring.

Last edited:
mine got lowered as well, actually a good thing because i eliminated the balance shafts.

I have a forward facing ofh on my 6bolt with no balance shafts(99gsx no room for oil cooler). The housing is also unported as I heard that the ffofh's have lower pressure. Fully warmed up, it sits at about 15 or 16psi. At wide open throttle, it rockets to and hits max 85psi. Thats about 5psi higher than ideal and some slight porting would probably cure it, but 5psi doesnt bother me too much.

Reason there is a difference in the oil pressure in these 2 housing;)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9HWr74pYjx8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Reason there is a difference in the oil pressure in these 2 housing
That's good work keltalon (finding out the reason for the low oil pressure). The community owes you a thank you.

So what if you have abnormally high oil pressure because of a bse and you just install a ff ofh? Will that little hole keep the pressure in check? Does the mighty max have bse from the factory?

So what if you have abnormally high oil pressure because of a bse and you just install a ff ofh? Will that little hole keep the pressure in check? Does the mighty max have bse from the factory?
I wouldn't trust it because that little hole bleeds oil all the time. I would get a regular ofh and port the relief hole if you are seeing high oil pressure from a bse that way the larger diameter relief hole would allow you to relieve pressure in the upper rpm range.

I recently installed my completely unmodified (unported, little piss hole there) FFOFH on my 6 bolt (BSE, still has oil sqirters).

Cold start up pressure via my Autometer Mechanical oil pressure gauge ~40-55psi (depending on how warm it is on initial startup)

Full temperature @ 850rpm idle 8-10psi
Full temperature at redline (7500rpm) 75psi.

Perfect.

My stock gauge barely registered ANY PRESSURE AT ALL (maybe 1/4 up the gauge on cold start, at minimum full temp idle) because the pressure port for the gauge is AFTER the filter on the FFOFH, and BEFORE the filter on the stock housing. You are seeing pressure drop across the filter.

I recently installed my completely unmodified (unported, little piss hole there) FFOFH on my 6 bolt (BSE, still has oil sqirters).

Cold start up pressure via my Autometer Mechanical oil pressure gauge ~40-55psi (depending on how warm it is on initial startup)

Full temperature @ 850rpm idle 8-10psi
Full temperature at redline (7500rpm) 75psi.

Perfect.

My stock gauge barely registered ANY PRESSURE AT ALL (maybe 1/4 up the gauge on cold start, at minimum full temp idle) because the pressure port for the gauge is AFTER the filter on the FFOFH, and BEFORE the filter on the stock housing. You are seeing pressure drop across the filter.

Correct. Amazing how that detail (among others) keeps getting overlooked.

OP - You need to install an actual gauge, the stock unit is almost completely useless and might as well just turn a light on the dash when there's any pressure.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back