The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Front Driver Side Oil Leak

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plcooke87

Probationary Member
Dec 18, 2021
Austin, Texas
Vehicle : 98 Eclipse GSX

I have an oil leak on the front driver side.

Timing belt is dry inspecting from top cover. The valve cover has been replaced and is not leaking. The drive belts are a little wet and slinging oil around other areas. Making it difficult to find issue.

Thanks!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

One possibility is the power steering hoses. The PS hoses on my 1g were a complete seeping mess when the car was only 15 years old already. The original PS hoses on my 2000 BMW didn't even last that long!
Power steering reservoir is full with fluid.

Remove the spark plug galley cover and inspect for oil coming out of the oil cap. Typically the seal on the cap will fall and fill the galley with oil and there is a little drain hole drilled in the valve cover that will leak onto that area
It is not leaking from oil cap. Also, no oil in the valve cover galley.

Cam seals? Blowing oil out the dipstick tube? BSPT plug(s) in the head?
You might also have a split in an oil line/seal/fitting, down lower like the OFH, and it's spraying oil up/around. Make sure your oil filter is on tight (but not too tight).

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back