The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

front case gasket

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calan

DSM Wiseman
Jan 16, 2007
OKC, Oklahoma
Why is the OEM front case gasket so mismatched as far as how it aligns with the oil galleys in the block and cover?

When I pulled mine, there were all kinds of burnt flaking pieces of the gasket everywhere from where the gasket had oil flowing on both sides of it in these channels. This can't be good for the oil system.

Is this for a functional reason, or just a gasket manufacturing by-product? (i.e. so the same gasket will work on engines with slightly different machining). Do you guys ever trim the gasket to match the case more closely to avoid these broken pieces of brittle gasket from getting into the oil?

It's hard to cut the gasket cleanly if a hole punch is not used. Be carfull and make sure about what your are doing. If you're not sure of where to trim, don't mess with it.

There's one place where oil flows past both sides of the gasket. It's made that way so the gasket is thick enough to hold up. If you trim it, it'll be too thin to stay in place when it's installed, and it might shift over and not seal.

Since yours was broken, I'd say it wasn't installed correctly. Check VFAQ.com in the engine section. It has a nice writeup for installing a new front case gasket.

If you cutout that portion of material between the 2 oil gallies it will be very likely that the small amount of gasket that is left to seal will get pushed from the oil pressure. With just the holes their is no worry. I too thought about doing the same thing. But after some functional thinking I realized why it is the way it is.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back