The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Front Brakes... Bang for buck?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mustang347

Probationary Member
Jun 22, 2002
Columbus_Ohio
I just got a 92 Talon a few weeks back, and it needs front brakes in a major way. Calipers, rotors, pads etc. What is the most performance, with the smallest amount of green? This is not going to be a race car, already got one for the track, its going to be more of a fun street car, that I intend to sell in a year or 2.

Should I just get stock replacements, with some decent pads? What is the price increase to go up to a larger rotor/caliper? Can I bolt on a set of brakes off a 93 easily?

ANY info or advice is apreciated! Thanks.

If its a FWD then get brakes for and AWD you will upgrade to 2 piston calipers and bigger pads for the least money

Later,

Some 92s came w/ the big brakes & some didn't... there is no set rhyme or reason to which cars got them... you'll have to physically check. If you have small brakes.. then the later big brakes are a great upgrade. Also I'd recomend stock unslotted & undrilled rotors (the slots & crossdrilling do absolutely nothing but add to the cost). Also throw a set of Porterfiel R4S pads on there... you won't be disappointed.

I am pretty sure they are small brakes. I am used to big 13" rotors, but these still look pretty small. What parts do I need for the big(er) brake conversion? Do I need an adaptor for the caliper to make room for the larger rotors? Do I just get brake parts for a 93 Talon?

theres a VFAQ on it www.vfaq.com. You need the caliper, caliper bracket (bolts to spindle), rotor, & pads.. that's it. I picked up mine from a local Jyard for $100 for everything. You can use the brakes off late 92+ AWD DSMs, Diamantes, GVR4s (but you'll need 5 bolt rotors from diamante or DSM), ect.. There's more info in the VFAQ... the easiest way to tell the calipers apart is the small brakes have 1 hole in them & the dual piston calipers have 2 holes...

Caliper bracket is the only thing I think would be difficult to find. Is the bone yard the only place to find this caliper bracket? Can I get it at a dealer if all else fails?

Oh yea, I have single piston calipers...

I'm pretty sure that they come on the calipers if you get them though the dealer. But you're going to get charged a core charge in addition to the price of the caliper... & alot of dealers won't take back the single piston calipers as cores... but some will... depends on how smart your parts guy is.

If I was going to do it, I would get the parts from a parts store, not a dealer.

I am not sure if it is worth it or not. Do you know what the price difference would be between stock, and the biggens?

If I remember right... I remember people getting them from the dealer for $150. I highly doubt that the parts store would include the brackets... I know when I worked at PepBoys they werent' included. Your best bet might be the Jyard. The set that I got for $100 came off a 30k mi diamante...

Are those the caliper brackets (red) I need, or are they different parts?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

OK, now that I know what I am looking for!! I will go check out some places and see what I can find. Seems easy enough. So, just ask for a 93 talon TSi right?

Thanks for the help Ken.

Well, I think I have a plan. I went to a bunch of places, and smith was the only store that had the calipers I needed, well, almost. They had the stock 92 single piston calipers, but their book was saying that the brakes were the same all the way up to 94. The 95 was the caliper that had 2 pistons at that store... wierd. They sold them loaded with pads and they had the brackets that mounted them to the spildle and also had the slide pins already installed. So, i was going to get those (from the 95) to try them, but they only had one!

So, back to advance autoparts. They sell them loaded, with pads and the caliper bracket already to be installed. The computer they have shows pictures of them, and the look dead on. I will have to order them, but it should be OK. I am going to order the loaded calipers and get the rotors to go along with it.

Does any one know the sizes of the rotors in 92 and 93?

BINGO! This is the right caliper and bracket, right??

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Just wanted to let you guys know, I got those brakes on!

Went pretty easy, cept for the stuck rotor on the drivers side. Well, I guess they were both stuck. Bolts got the pass. off, and a BFH got the drivers side off because the bolts striped.

Other than that, I have (kinda) big brakes for cheap! Cant wait till they are bedded.

So you found a place that had the dual piston calipers AND the brackets? Nice. How much?

I got my calipers from autozone ..did the upgrade route, bought brackets from local mitsu dealer with dsm discount, metal master pads and ss lines from RRE, and OE by Brembo rotors from Summit. All told, about 420 or so. All i can say is WOW, you really don't notice much of a difference going 30 and hitting them, but from high speeds its way better!

Cool, thanks for the info. Anyone know if ABS creates a problem with anything when upgrading to the dual piston calipers?

I got the calipers/rotors from Advance AutoParts. Loaded calipers WITH brackets and pads are $70 ea. Rotors were $30 something ea.

Sure, the pads blow, but hey, they came with the clips and shims and stuff.

I am not going to be racing this car.... not anytime soon anyway! ;)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back