The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

1G front axle and brake noise

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankship

Probationary Member
Jul 12, 2021
Brooklyn, New_York
SO.. got a 1g dsm (1.8 fwd) and replaced both front axles. at this point I decided to throw on some fresh brakes and rotors. After installation of the front axles, my rotors are looking kinda wobbly to the point that the top of the caliper bracket assembly is pinching the rotor at certain positions. I thought.. "ok, one of the new rotors I got might be warped .. lets try the other new rotor" to my disbelief the other rotor in the set appeared to have a similar problem. I'm not too sure what's going on here. I have been driving the car regardless and it's running fine with the exception of the noise coming from the wheels. Is there an improper way to install axles? did i go too hard with the hammer to remove my old rusted on rotors? could i have damaged the cast aluminum wheel hub?

Did you check to make sure the wheel hub didn’t have any build up on it that would cause the rotor to not sit flat? Did you get the correct rotors/pads?

Are you checking this with the wheels on or off the car?

Hey Mike- thanks for looking into this! Hubs were brushed clean and sanded to remove most of the superficial rust. I ordered a really cheap set of centric brakes and rotors (90 bucks for front and rear and the rear fit fine). I've been checking with the wheels off. I spin the rotors and see it catching on the upper portion after a 180 degree rotation. The dust shields are a little beat up but were seated properly when the caliper bracket was installed + I used a lug to keep the rotor in place since it was not cooperating.

Hey Mike- thanks for looking into this! Hubs were brushed clean and sanded to remove most of the superficial rust. I ordered a really cheap set of centric brakes and rotors (90 bucks for front and rear and the rear fit fine). I've been checking with the wheels off. I spin the rotors and see it catching on the upper portion after a 180 degree rotation. The dust shields are a little beat up but were seated properly when the caliper bracket was installed + I used a lug to keep the rotor in place since it was not cooperating.
Nothing holds the rotors to the hub except the wheel.

still having the same issue. i think i might need to torque my axles nuts. I blasted it with my 1/2inch torque wrench. could this be the reason? ill post a video of what it looks like when i get to it. It's a PITA working on this car on the sidewalk outside my apartment in brooklyn..

There have been issues in the past with rotors missing the chamfer on the inner side of the center bore such that they don't sit all the way down flat on the hub. Have you checked that?

The torque setting on the axle nuts is 144 to 188 ft lbs, what did you tighten them to?

Since the hub will run parallel to the caliper bracket normally the rotor should too. If it's flat on the hub and caliper bracket mounting points on the knuckle are clean.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back