The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

From the 240sx to a DSM

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitsu_gst97

Probationary Member
Apr 8, 2009
Dayton, Ohio
Hi fellas/ladies (if there are some on)
My names Ceir
Getting my first dsm/turbo car.
My first car love was with a 200k mile 91 240sx KA. But that was my first car and a daily.
Its been three years and im ready to move on.

Dont let the name fool you(I almost bought a 97 gst about 1.5 months ago)
Looks like im going to be getting a 93 talon tsi fwd.
It has a 6bolt swap with 115k miles. (the motor is completely stock besides a FMIC and a bastard 20g running stock boost)
Tbelt has freshly been changed.
Car is getting a brand new stage three ACT clutch and PP.
A couple other things have been changed. Alternator, rotors, new battery, a couple of other things been changed recently.
Im making sure then tbelt tensioner was replaced along side of the tbelt just to be safe.
The only thing im worried about is the waterpump as far as routine maintenance goes. ( I dont have to the tools and partially the balls to do the job myself)
I know alot about cars, but I definitly wouldnt call myself an expert, or even a mechanic. Ive done lots of reading, and some minor work on other cars. Did a internship at a performace shop (I got some hands on, but got to watch alot of stuff).
The first things that come to mind when i get the car are new plugs and wires. Check for vacuum leaks and boost leaks. And maybe run a can of seafoam. (Im not sure if its good to use if the car may not need it?)

I know it has a CEL but with after market exhaust it sounds completely normal. (not sure if the cat has been deleted or not) (I need to find out what dealership i can take it too to get the codes pulled)

Also, i want to know some of my options on some minor mods i can do to squeeze some extra hp out of the stock internals safely. (Looking into a logger and something to tune with). I know this is alot of questions at once.....

Ill be updating my profile as soon as I actually get the car and all that jazz and find out more about the car on my own.

Let me know what you think

Good luck with finding the right car, hope to see you get the 1g!

An aftermarket exhaust wouldn't do a CEL unless it has to do with a ground for the O2 sensor. So I'd be looking into something else. You can get a data logger, and check to see what code it pulls.

I would def make sure he has something done for fuel. It isn't a good idea to just throw on a bigger turbo without fuel, even if it's at low boost. So if it doesn't already have a fuel pump and injectors I would do that right away, and then make sure you have something to manage it.
For tuning, you can do anything from SAFC, TunerPro/ Ostrich, DSMLink, AEM.. just depends on your budget for it.

Best of luck

Yeah, I was going to look into getting a datalogger first, to one check thecels, and to make sure the turbo isnt causing a major difference in the ecus normal operation. From what i saw though, it was quite small to be a 20g. The guy is telling me a its a bastard 20g? Im going to be getting the serial off of it. Im hoping its just a small 16g or something so i dont have to worry about tuning just quite yet. (I dont have the money). If it is a 20g, i might just look into trading for a 16g, (the turbo has < 500 miles on it ) Would it be best to go with a small 16g ? or could i run a evo3 16g without messing with the tuning. Ill be looking into the ecu, which he claims is chipped..... Im hoping for dsmlink, as ive read alot of good things on it and its use seems to be within my range of undestanding. (Im a junior in college studying computer engineering.) But then again tuning a motor technically has nothing to do with my major. SO well see. Ive heard the car run, has been driven because of the need of a new clutch. Which ill be helping the guy put in. (SO i can take a very close look at the car. But from what ive seen so far the motor is STOCK. I mean like all stock vacuums are being used. Nothing is plugged up. But from what i see in dataloggers, im not really sure which one to get. I do have a friend that might have one he used from his 1g eprom. SO hopefully that will work. well see tho.... Also im probably going to be buying a tbelt tensior waterpump etc etc kit from one of the companies listed in the vfaqson tbelt changes. Just to be safe.

Im going to go to the car again hopefully in the next 2-3 hours to put the clutch in and put thecar back together!!! so ill be able to go through everything. (interior and motor wise) so well see!!!

Wish me luck.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back