The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Friends dont let friends ebay - manifold comparison

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ATEAV8

Proven Member
Jan 28, 2016
Seekonk, MA, Massachusetts
Was messing around with a stock turbo and was playing with manifolds. Had a tubular ebay manifold and a stock manifold laying around. Figured the ebay one would be better and we put it on the car and made a rip, wastegate welded shut. Only could get 34psi and spool up was very laggy. So I took it off and spent about 4 hours porting it to flow correctly. Put it back on and it hit 43psi and was spooling much sooner. After a few pulls, it cracked. So we put on a stock unported manifold and it flowed just as good as the ported ebay manifold but not prone to cracking.

I am sure you guys know knock off ebay parts just dont work but now you have some data as proof. Enjoy ;)

Attachments

• ebay ported vs stock.jpg
    ebay ported vs stock.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 125
  • ebay unported to ported.jpg
    ebay unported to ported.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 118
I ran a ebay manifold and it held up for 2 + years running 20psi on a daily with daily beating and it just cracked a little on the outside. I was finally replacing it with a evo 3 anyways. But I wouldn't say they're all junk. Sometimes you get lucky

I ran a ebay manifold and it held up for 2 + years running 20psi on a daily with daily beating and it just cracked a little on the outside. I was finally replacing it with a evo 3 anyways. But I wouldn't say they're all junk. Sometimes you get lucky

You completely missed the point then. The point wasn't to say junk = cracked, that was just the icing on the cake. The point was to say, before porting, it was a DOWNGRADE IN PERFORMANCE, after porting, it was near equivalent, and then broke/useless shortly thereafter. So essentially a waste of time and money. Rational thought would lead you to the OEM manifold. Or perhaps an FP manifold if you really wanted something nicer in every aspect.

So your manifold was actually junk. Since you did not port it, you took a performance hit. Since it cracked a little, it is now crap. You don't appear to be in the "lucky" group.

And just to say it; I didn't know eBay made parts :p. I know Chinese manufacturers make crappy knockoff parts and sell them on eBay... I eBay quite regularly. All my small order OEM and misc parts are sourced on eBay. As well as anything used. If you know how to use eBay, you can get steals on quality stuff. The knockoff BS really drives prices down. That's why I sell on ebay as a last resort.

Last edited:
You completely missed the point then. The point wasn't to say junk = cracked, that was just the icing on the cake. The point was to say, before porting, it was a DOWNGRADE IN PERFORMANCE, after porting, it was near equivalent, and then broke/useless shortly thereafter. So essentially a waste of time and money. Rationally thought would lead you to the OEM manifold. Or perhaps an FP manifold if you really wanted something nicer in every aspect.

So your manifold was actually junk. Since you did not port it, you took a performance hit. Since it cracked a little, it is now crap. You don't appear to be in the "lucky" group.

And just to say it; I didn't know eBay made parts :p. I know Chinese manufacturers make crappy knockoff parts and sell them on eBay... I eBay quite regularly. All my small order OEM and misc parts are sourced on eBay. As well as anything used. If you know how to use eBay, you can get steals on quality stuff. The knockoff BS really drives prices down. That's why I sell on ebay as a last resort.

ooo look at you. anyways.. it was bought off ebay. I didn't put it on... It came on the car. I didn't really feel like going into this much depth over something stupid. However you apparently like to waist time on shit. It looked just like the oem manifold, but looked like they had been "scraps" do to warping. Two hours of filing to make it even it went on. It replaced the stock 1g mani that cracked. Which have you know also crack so your point in going oem is invalid because they're junk also. And there was no noticeable difference in power loss/ nor gain between either of them. However for the $60 it cost with free shipping and getting two + years out of it after I bought it is not bad. And also the crack was on the outside not the inside, so it was still "good" to keep going. I just got sick of driving around with the evo 3 mani in my back seat.

it was bought off ebay. I didn't put it on.
However for the $60 it cost with free shipping and getting two + years out of it after I bought it is not bad

I was going to fix my post to reflect the fact that the eBay manifold wasn't your original choice, although you seem to endorse it by removing, "filing the scraps down" to fix the warping, then reinstalling. Then you say that for $60 it lasted for two years as if you bought it... I give up.

Maybe I missed your point. I thought you were defending an eBay manifold by saying it is better than OEM because after 2 years, it didn't crack all the way through yet. If that wasn't your point, it damn sure sounded like it, hence the ridicule. The OP should have never said cracked. I think it distracted you from the real point, the damn thing makes MEASURABLY less power and/or slower spool than OEM.

I was going to fix my post to reflect the fact that the eBay manifold wasn't your original choice, although you seem to endorse it by removing, "filing the scraps down" to fix the warping, then reinstalling. Then you say that for $60 it lasted for two years as if you bought it... I give up.

Maybe I missed your point. I thought you were defending an eBay manifold by saying it is better than OEM because after 2 years, it didn't crack all the way through yet. If that wasn't your point, it damn sure sounded like it, hence the ridicule. The OP should have never said cracked. I think it distracted you from the real point, the damn thing makes MEASURABLY less power and/or slower spool than OEM.

It was my friends car that I bought it off of. He did it. Again you're like a 40 year woman who needs to go into depth about every little detail. again who gives a shit. The car pulled just as hard, and spooled just as fast as the oem had. there was no difference between them at all......

Without testing each product [or at the least one at random from a batch] after production, its near impossible to have consistent performance from the end product, especially with an e-bay part, I will admit I like the way you did all the hard work to save others some time from this one manifold, but there is likely many other designs out there to experiment with, and lets get this clear I'm not defending an e-bay manifold, go out and buy any other proven brand if funds permit, or make your own if you have the skills, but to know what works best you have to try it... The op did and made no progress and expressed his opinion and findings to help others out kudos man, I can appreciate that, but it really is hit and miss with ebay knock off parts, and thats why so many guys on here hate them, and then you see that minority of guys praising them low quality control tends to produce these results to the end consumer.

So if this was on an evo, why it it posted on dsmtuners?

Isn't it common knowledge that most "performance" parts on ebay are crap 99% of the time? I thought we figured that out about 10 yrs ago.

^^ It's probably because we are evo friendly here :p. I don't see the reason to be negative. We all (most of us anyway) have reached the crap-bay conclusion. The OP was simply showing real world data nothing more nothing less. I will say this is the first comparison I have seen documented and I found it interesting, not surprising but interesting.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back