The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Fresh trans 5th gear issues, LOOK

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4g63t

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 14, 2005
North Iowa, Iowa
Alight so I’ll try to explain this the best i can.
I got my Trans back from shep a few months ago and installed it after inspection and some new parts (it’s a stage 3.5ish). Ever since the first time I took the car down the road in 5th it seemed to be barley engaged, and it would pop out after driving for about 15 minutes. (Seams to do it more when the fluid gets worm.)

Now I contacted shep and he said there is no way the 36mm nuts are loose on the inside of the tranny.
He said it must be the shift boot or reverse light switch is missing the washer causing it not to go in to gear all the way. So I looked at both and they don’t seem to be effecting it. I also tried adjusting the shifter linkage at the shifter every which way and did not seem to help.

I then decided to drain the trans and pull the end cap off and check things out. I found the 3 metal keepers were almost falling out of the inside of the gear. So I’m thinking that this could be part of the issue. The ring that holds them in was not in the right place causing them to not have any pressure on the keepers. I had to rotate to get it to hold all the keepers with pressure. It looks like some damages has been done the 5th gear synchro ring where the keepers sit. Look at the pic!

Now my question is, do I need a new one also where do I get one?

Do you think those keepers not being all the way in and behind that keeper ring that puts pressure on them has to do with it coming out of 5th gear?

Im just looking for things to look at while i have it apart as i am waiting of fluid to come in.

Attachments

• 20130723_181436.jpg
    20130723_181436.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 87
  • 20130723_181454.jpg
    20130723_181454.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 20130723_181318.jpg
    20130723_181318.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Were you missing the syncro spring, or did you remove that for the picture? You definitely need a new reverse syncro there. It looks like it was driven with the gear only partially engaged. I would look more closely at the shifter, shift levers, and cable adjustment.

Im just looking for things to look at whale i have it apart as i am waiting of fluid to come in.

I went whale watching while I was visiting a friend in Mass. Good times! Hope you enjoy it.

haha i typed that out super-fast didn't proof read it.

Ony thing I removed was the synchro... Am I missing a spring? I know there is a wave spring on the end case still.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah there are springs that push outward on the syncro keys. The one on the other side of the hub might be missing too.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
The one on the other side of the hub is there. I have them locked into that one... I had to rotate it with a small flat head due to the gap in the ring was right where the bottom the key was at.

Well that may have been the problem. If the keys moved, they may have been preventing you from putting it all the way into gear, or they may have just not been holding the hub slider in gear properly.

Yeah, I'm hoping. I have a 1g galant awd tranny I'm going to open and see if that spring is there along with seeing what shape the synchro is in. I can't believe they forgot somthing so simple..

Are both those springs the same? The outter and inner?

The synchro springs are the same as long as you are not dealing with an early 1991 gallant VR4 transmission. You are missing the front spring, I would strongly suggest taking off the hub and slider and confirm you are not missing the rear spring as well. Your reverse synchro is destroyed as well. Is the reverse cone wave spring installed on the 5th gear cover?

The synchro springs are the same as long as you are not dealing with an early 1991 gallant VR4 transmission. You are missing the front spring, I would strongly suggest taking off the hub and slider and confirm you are not missing the rear spring as well. Your reverse synchro is destroyed as well. Is the reverse cone wave spring installed on the 5th gear cover?

Turned out the spring was way smaller on the gvr4 transmission. IT also did not have a synchro or a waive spring under the case end cover. The hub/slider was way smaller.

Yes, I have the wave spring on the end case. Also I know the inner synchro spring is there. I can see it.

Synchro Spring (Large) – Jacks Transmissions LLC
Is this the right one?

And this
http://www.jackstransmissions.com/collections/awd-input/products/reverse-synchro-ring

This should be all i need? its a 23spline so i assume the 91+ will be fine.

No, the first link you gave was for a MD742445, you need MD742441.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back