The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Fresh motor, won't stay running

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greekgodchaos

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 4, 2007
Vancouver, Washington
Okay guys I've got a starting, running for a brief second and then dying problem here.

I've checked the ECU the Caps are fine nothing looks out of the ordinary,

I've swapped TPS sensors with no change,

Swapped resistor packs with no change,

Checked all my grounds to make sure they have bare metal contact, still same problem

The weird thing about it is is that it will start and run for a little bit after resting overnight, but then after that it won't stay starting. It simply fires up and then dies immediately.

I installed speed density and checked off all the settings and formatted it as per ecmlink instructions about running speed density.

My fuel injectors are dialed into the correct 850cc on link I'm running a 2G timing map because I am 2g Pistons,

Also installed BC272 cams

There were a few DTC codes yesterday, once it was the coolant sensor, then the CPS, then the TPS. But after clearing all of them, they haven't returned since.

Additionaly, I took it out on a drive before this all started, and it was getting hella phantom knock from not running synthetic oil (as I am at 4 miles into breaking in the engine.) Which was fixed by raising the threshold of knock to about 7000rpm. When the ECU kicked in, the RPM limit was 3000 and so I was poppin left and right. Took it out the next day, got 1 solid pull, then it started popping off on me again and dying. Then the problem with this not staying started popped up. Which brings me to here.

I'll be checking the coil pack and see if I'm getting solid spark to all plugs when my buddy comes over tonight, and I'll be checking my fuel filter sock in a minute so I'll post back with an update.

TL:DR
Fresh motor doesn't run right, and it's a mystery waiting to be solved!

UPDATE 1: Pump Filter looks like it needs to be replaced so I ordered a handful that will be here on Monday.

UPDATE 2: Adjusted the TPS switch and it straightened out the idle very nicely. Now to find and repair those oil leaks on the front of the motor!

Last edited:
Yeah it is, haven't been on an official drive yet, but it stays idling smoothly every time I start it.

So! If you have some idle issues, be sure the TPS switch with the single wire is adjusted correctly!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back