The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Freeze Plug.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HondaStalker

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 20, 2003
KentuckyUS
I heard once it pops out the block is ruined, Is this true, and if i was to take it to get fixed how much would it cost at the most.

Originally posted by HondaStalker
I heard once it pops out the block is ruined, Is this true, and if i was to take it to get fixed how much would it cost at the most.

You have not given enough info to give a good answer.

If you were driving at highway speed and didn't notice anything until large clouds of smoke was coming out the engine and exhaust chances are it's been hurt pretty bad.

If you just started it up in the driveway and noticed water and antifreeze coming from under the hood and the freeze plug on the ground you may have lucked out. You cannot, read my lips ... CANNOT drive the car anywhere. Do what _I_ say and not what I do. If you are not able to make repairs then get it towed to a place that can.

If you can get to it then the fix can be fairly simple. They make an expanding freeze plug which has a bolt through the center with large washers on either side of a neoprene center section. When the correct size has been obtained you clean the hole of all contaminents with a wire brush and may need to use some gasket sealer but only if required. Place the freeze plug in the hole and tighten the nut as reccomended by the maker. Presto you are done except for adding coolant and bleeding the system as required. If you make the repairs yourself you can then see how the engine performs OR if it smokes badly. You will be out of pocket $5-$10 for the materials but at least be able to determine how bad the situation is.

You may have to call around to find who has these in stock for not every parts store has them.

Hope that helps

Cheers,
GTM

well see theres a guy been trying to sell this laser that ive been looking at for pretty cheap, new motor, big 16g, 2g pistons, 1g big rods, and some other good shit, But he took it for a test drive when he finally got it running he said for 5 miles. But i mean i can get it for 1500 and make my money back if it was bad, but i don't really think i'm gonna #### with it, Thanks and whole lot man

new motor, big 16g, 2g pistons, 1g big rods, and some other good shit, But he took it for a test drive when he finally got it running he said for 5 miles. But i mean i can get it for 1500 and make my money back if it was bad, but i don't really think i'm gonna #### with it, Thanks and whole lot man

Ahha, lucky you for it's not your problem... yet.

Have you seen and heard it run since the big problem??????

Freeze plugs don't just fall out, they will be forced out if the block freezes because he only had water in there. The other possibility is he forgot to drive it in all the way when he did the rebuild. Usual method is to put a little gasket compound on them then get a socket, lead hammer, and give them a couple good smacks. So yes it's possible someone forgot to seat it and the test run was enough to pop it out if it was just placed in the hole with glue and the phone rang.

Now, remember I said do as I say and not what I do~

You can go over and ask to start the car but you can only run it for 1-2 minutes. After a few seconds the exhaust manifold will be hot but not to worry for this is normal. What you will be checking with your hand is the valve cover and the block. All the while you will be looking at the exhaust, listening to the engine to see if there is anything wrong. If you see smoke out the exhaust then there are serious problems if it's a new rebuild and the turbo is not leaking. Rev the engine a few times, listen for rod knock, listen for valve problems.

When you can no longer hold your hand on the block or valve cover shut it off for it will be about 118F on the outside but if no water other parts will be somewhat hotter.

You don't want to buy someonelses worst nightmare unless you buy right and if nothing more sell the pieces. If the engine cranks over very hard then the pistons may have seized which requires another rebuild, if cranks fast the pistons may have collapsed and will have so much blow-by it will need the rebuild. It might also be the head is still in good shape though if it got hot to damage pistons and rings the head gasket won't be reliable.

The bottom line is going to be up to you to sort all these things out and if you can take a chance that it's not hurt after you have tested as mentioned above. At $1000 if it only needs new pistons and rings it won't be too bad a deal, at $1500 it's getting pretty iffy. So if it checks out with a compression check, wave $1000 in his face and see what happens.

It also might be interesting to know why he is selling it, was that his plan, or he's so disgusted with himself he just wants to bail out. I wouldn't buy the car for $250 without hearing it run.

Cheers,
GTM

he didn't have it done when i was gonna buy it, he was gonna finish it then sell it to me for 2900, then it came across a couple problems then he tried to sell it without fixing it, but nobody would buy it, so now hes trying to do it all over again. i'm sure he will just fix it before to long if it doesn't sell.

he didn't have it done when i was gonna buy it, he was gonna finish it then sell it to me for 2900, then it came across a couple problems then he tried to sell it without fixing it, but nobody would buy it, so now hes trying to do it all over again. i'm sure he will just fix it before to long if it doesn't sell.

Ahha, don't ever get involved with that sort of nonsense, people will cut corners. If you are buying a fix-it-yourself that's fine, if you are buying a fixed running car thats fine too. But don't fall out of bed just because you got the hots and are blinded by a bunch of nonsense. Where else did this guy cut corners, you would probably never know until something let go. Just be careful, there are too many BS artists out there trying to take your money. You would probably be better off finding something that hasn't been tricked out but owned by a family who just don't want to invest in repairs so willing to make a deal. I say family for chances are it hasn't been abused, they paid for responsible repairs in the past thus you know what you are getting. Have a check list in advance of items to look at, look for sloppy repairs, know where the problems can be for the paticular car and if you have the skills to fix them. I just don't think this is the car from what you have said here.

Cheers,
GTM

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back