The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Free Catalytic Converter Mods

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curtis_rak

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 11, 2002
Edmonton_AB_Canada
Please don't go rank over this thread, the VFAQ link is down to the catalytic converter section...

I want to gut my cat. (the one on my car, not the one that lives in my house). From what I hear, my CEL is going to go nuts because the cat. will be pretty much non functional after I rape and pilage it. Someone mentioned to me one time about a work around for the CEL. But I can't remember what it was.

Help?...Please?:confused:

the CEL doesnt always come on for everyone, but if it does there is a vfaq to show you how to disconnect the second O2 sensor. this should correct it.

Well I gutted my cat on my old car, just use a long rod to stick in the ends and poke inside to break up the stuff in there. Its hard as a rock and takes alot of hard bashing to get it to break up. It took me about 4 hours I think to get everything out of there.

I would recommend you contact Dave Brode and get a 2.5" Test pipe, I think its only like 40 bucks.

Go to a local exhaust shop. $25 for a test tube. Just let them know it's for your "drag car" that will never see the road.

Just get a CATCO. You can get a 2.5" High flow for $57, and have it welded in at an exhaust shop for about $20 and you don't have to worry about emissions.

L8R :dsm:

Hey-
Pretty easy to gut the cat. I did mine in about an hour without lifting the car... On my 96 GST, I just
1. removed the bolts to drop the cat (no need to wd-40 for me).
2. cut the ground trap, b/c I couldnt get it unbolted and I was impatient.
3. put the cat in a bucket and used a large (5ft) prybar to smash the insides. From what I hear, you should try not to breath that stuff in...
4. replace the cat and take 'er out for a test drive.

I noticed the sound was a bit louder, but the throttle response and pull was a noticably better. (even with stock d/p and semi stock cat-back). IMO, its a good free mod and when you need to do emissions inspection just buy a high-flow.

Cheers!

Hey that vfaq link with instructions on 2nd o2 sensor bypass doesn't work. Anyone have any other links?

If you just gut the cat it will hurt the exhaust flow because the exhaust will swirl inside the cat. Gut it and then put a pipe through it. If your not worried about not having for inspection purposes then just have a muffler shop thake it out and put a pipe in its place.

Originally posted by CyberDSM
Hey that vfaq link with instructions on 2nd o2 sensor bypass doesn't work. Anyone have any other links?

Your after cat O2 wire comes up through the floorboard underneath the drivers seat. It's a little round connector with 1 wire in it... The connector for it is usually under the carpet just a little... If you put the seat back all the way and look under there you should be able to find it. When you do just unplug it. No more signal from the O2= problem solved. :D

L8R :dsm:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back