The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

FP68HTA - Back to Back Vs an E3 16g!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looks like the fp68hta certainly could hold boost higher than an evo3 16g. But still, I've had my small 16g hold higher boost than than your e3 16g with much more cam. From my personal experience with the evo3 16, it can hold boost higher than the small 16g deeper in the rev range. At least when its freshly rebuilt, with no crack, etc.

Tune is now in progress..

Boost log

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Injector Duty (FIC 950's with AFR of 11.3

Update - finally..

Well, tuned it myself on the road after I couldn't find anyone else...

This is starting point. By no means is the tune finished or complete.

This is also the first car I've tuned from scratch.... Tuned on the road & logged. Went to the dyno to see what it read and what the curve looked like.

Also a comparrison against the old ECU FYI

Timing map inc FYI

98 octace ( your 93 ) with no additives

Boost control issues - shimmed the actuator the night before the dyno but it did't hold more boost..(probably because I didn't adjust the EBC) I Have held 23psi on the street.

Reaches 150 dropping to 140 'load' in the top end

Less power in the top end but less boost everywhere... Also MUCH less timing that the Tomei ECU

RPW couldn't help you out? They're right there in Perth. Those guys are complete nutters when it comes to Mitsubishi engines! They use a hub dyno and I'm pretty sure they're more than competent with a Haltech EMS when it comes to tuning. I found them years ago when they were one of the few people making parts for the 4G69.

Took it to the track couple of weeks ago on my tune (no dyno figures).

Due to oil downs I only got 2 runs, so there's more in it..

Fuel is E43
Shanked the 1-2 change
( have to change into 5th )

11.24 @ 124mph with a 1.88 60'

Boost:

alot of people say the price tag on the fp68hta is not worth it over the evolll 16g, yet i have seen 4 cars equipped with the fp68 trapping 124mph+ on pump 93oct..and i havent seen a single evolll trappin that high on pump 93 only e85..maybe im not looking right idk, but it seems pretty good to me LOL

This guy is using 20 year old school jdm tuning

The way the ecu and what he thinks it doing is long dead, it no better than using a maft:tease:

Thats why his evoIII turbo was making low power

In the states we have more than a handful of people at over 400whp power levels...Proven with a evo3 turbo.

Those "jdm" Ecus were and always have been a band aid, and old tech.

Or you could have spend a few pennies on suring up your wastegate issue and made the same power :p

I know you can reflash evo8-evo10 ecus but im not sure about the older evos

But anyways, hes not retuning the car so thats a problem there.

Just because its a "jdm" ecu doesnt mean it can do everything, you need to reflash or retune your car when you swap turbos. One flows more air than the other one even at the same boost, you cant rely on a ecu to do the tuning for you.

560cc injectors? Dont you think those are way to small for the power levels you going to be at?

Last edited:
This guy is using 20 year old school jdm tuning

The way the ecu and what he thinks it doing is long dead, it no better than using a maft:tease:

Thats why his evoIII turbo was making low power

In the states we have more than a handful of people at over 400whp power levels...Proven with a evo3 turbo.

Those "jdm" Ecus were and always have been a band aid, and old tech.

I know you can reflash evo8-evo10 ecus but im not sure about the older evos

But anyways, hes not retuning the car so thats a problem there.

Just because its a "jdm" ecu doesnt mean it can do everything, you need to reflash or retune your car when you swap turbos. One flows more air than the other one even at the same boost, you cant rely on a ecu to do the tuning for you.

560cc injectors? Dont you think those are way to small for the power levels you going to be at?

Read ALL the posts before posting and 'teasing', and it's been discussed to death how he 'could have made more power' with the 16g. Again, if you'd read ALL the posts you'd notice he's using 950 FIC injectors, he was even nice enough to include pictures with the duty cycle and an AFR of 11.3. Most importantly, you missed the point that he's doing all the tuning himself, at least give his some credit for manning up and doing it himself instead of paying someone else to 'just fix it'.

Oh, and a Haltech is a far cry from a Maf-t.

I don't understand how he's only running an 11.24 at that weight..There was a guy recently on stock motor(auto cams), running high 10's on the 68hta..And another with a stock motor dynoed around 400 on the 68hta..

Something is getting messed up for sure..But I also bet he's maxing out his injectors to acheive 357..

Hes not maxing 950cc on 93 octane on a fp68, He is only on 25lbs everyone else on 25lbs on this turbo is not going 10s. And finally it can weigh 2200lbs if he doesn't 60ft and drive it properly its not going to go 10s like the other AUTOMATIC dsms, you have to take the 5spd into account.

Read ALL the posts before posting and 'teasing', and it's been discussed to death how he 'could have made more power' with the 16g. Again, if you'd read ALL the posts you'd notice he's using 950 FIC injectors, he was even nice enough to include pictures with the duty cycle and an AFR of 11.3. Most importantly, you missed the point that he's doing all the tuning himself, at least give his some credit for manning up and doing it himself instead of paying someone else to 'just fix it'.

Oh, and a Haltech is a far cry from a Maf-t.

I wasnt talking about haltech at all my friend

"JDM ECU"

Is what I was mocking

I did miss the last page and only read page 2

Simple over view, but it just really gets under my skin when people dont even tune a car right. Or give up and move onto something bigger and better, whats the point of upgrading if you cant go fast on a little turbo?

Hes not maxing 950cc on 93 octane on a fp68, He is only on 25lbs everyone else on 25lbs on this turbo is not going 10s. And finally it can weigh 2200lbs if he doesn't 60ft and drive it properly its not going to go 10s like the other AUTOMATIC dsms, you have to take the 5spd into account.

I was talking about his "JDM ECU" reflash

Not his haltech or his new setup!

Or you could have spend a few pennies on suring up your wastegate issue and made the same power :p

Im glad you got it.....:thumb:

Man people just call your a hater for pointing out what was a problem these days:hmm:

Gee - some people have no idea.

When you know everything about the run, then you can comment on how 'slow' my car is or how 'little' power this whole combination makes.

When you realise that the 1/4 mile is not the be-all and end-all of measurement you will realise that the whole setup is perfect for what the car is used for - auto-x, tarmac sprints and anything else that involves CORNERS.

No slicks, no 90-10's, no auto, no launch control, no flat shift. 3/4 of a tank of fuel - 2850lb's with me in it.
2 runs for the night, no practice and no trial launches - not even driven it hard before I went to the strip.

Here are the runs which show a 1.88 60', a tonne of wheelspin and a bad 1-2 change. Hardly the perfect pass :)

11.24 @ 124 solo pass:

YouTube - ‪11.24_at_124.mp4‬‏

Here is a log of the run (speed) showing the slow 1-2 and a change into 5th at 770'

Here is the run, with telemetry overlay - really highlights the 1-2. Watch the digital speedo..:

YouTube - ‪11.24 telemetry.mp4‬‏

Here is the first run. Bogged launch, limmiter in 3rd & 4th and a slow change into 5th : Car in the next lane was running low 13's or high 12's (?)

YouTube - ‪11.56_at_118.mp4‬‏

Other logs show 50-70kph in 0.8 seconds
100-150kph in 2.9 seconds in a 4th gear pull

Comparing against the evo 3 turbo :

Evo 3 turbo went 0-115mph in 11.575 seconds
FP68HTA goes 0-115mph in 9.85 seconds (with more boost, better fuel and my tuning running MAP)

Of course it make a better mph with more boost. Wasnt' all of the evo3 16g data taken during your inability to hold enough boost as all the 16g setups can hold? I'm not sure who is talking 1/4 mile times. But mph and no change in weight IS IS IS the "end all be all" of power increase. Kinetic Energy (whp) = 1/2mv^2 .

But, regardless, there is no way to compaare what each turbo can do when you decide to autox your car. Driver mod and suspension are king. There is no real answer to which turbo is better becaue there are several dozen variables. . . So it sounds like you're saying, "Bah, who cares, I like what it does for me." Which is absolutely fine. Jus tremember measurable results is what you were attempting to originally post. And there where several negative factors that countered the measurement. Nothing more nothing less. We all cant be in your car and drive it. But we all are interested in how much more power youre car makes with the different turbo. The different turbo made not much more power and the the old setup was severely hampered.

Update from a while ago:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back