The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

FP3065 or FP red?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

szewczyd

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 31, 2003
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
I am planning on doing some changes to my setup and I am sort stuck between those two turbos? Anyone have pros or cons on either and why? I want to make the car streetable for those nice days and I want to be able to drive it to and from the track. When I track it will be probably be on race gas, but when I drive it on nice days I will be running 93 octane. Which turbo is better on pump gas if at all?
Thanks
Doug

3065. While the Red has gone fast, it can't match the 3065 overall.

I second the 3065, a local guy to me made 450 whp on pump with the 3052, and Im sure the spool up on the 3065 won't be too much slower (I think 400 or less would be a reasonable guess)

plus, if your spending over 1k on a turbo, you might as well get the right one the first time

I have a red and have put 416awhp@24psi on pump with a shitty tune.. since then its been tuned at 25 psi on 93, diff dyno and for drivablity so who knows the numbers. Its its a hell of a lot quicker... Daily driven, not an issue gonna have lag, Depends on what your end goal is, and how far you want to push the turbo, I would say 3065 if you got the money

For the money, why not just go full garrett? an FP30 setup is over $2k once you add up all the custom V-band tubular o2 housing/dump/gate and oil/coolant line stuff. The whole point of a hybrid is to bolt right up to the manifold and o2, and to be cheap. They're neither. I'm not knocking them, as they're well proven, but dollar for dollar, you could have a setup with more potential.

Steve93Talon said:
For the money, why not just go full garrett? an FP30 setup is over $2k once you add up all the custom V-band tubular o2 housing/dump/gate and oil/coolant line stuff. The whole point of a hybrid is to bolt right up to the manifold and o2, and to be cheap. They're neither. I'm not knocking them, as they're well proven, but dollar for dollar, you could have a setup with more potential.

What route would you recommend then? I would like to see what you had in mind... Links would be great if thats not to much to ask!!!
Thanks
Doug

If you are going with a Garrett turbo then I would go with a GT35R.

see that is what I was going to do cause I can get a brandy new one for 850 bucks but I don't think i will be fully satisfied as I allready have a scm61? What you think?

The GT35R, SCM61, and the 3065 all use the same compressor wheel, the difference is in the turbine housings and wheels. I think if you are tired of the SCM61 then you won't be happy with either of the other two turbo's. Why do you want to upgrade from the SCM61, are you maxing it out?

To go any bigger you will probably have to go full garrett. You can look at a gt40r it's ball bearing. To get the most out of the turbo and since you will have dumped over 1700 on a turbo, you should also look at getting a full race manifold to bolt it up to. The manifold should run around 1200 or so but is worth the money. You could go cheaper and get a no bb gt40 for around 1000 but the lag on that will be pretty bad.

What kind of power and times are you looking to run. The turbo you have now should make your car pretty quick and i've seen 500whp dyno charts with the scm61.

szewczyd said:
Not quite but I wanted something larger that would help me to a bit quicker easier.

What are you using for engine management? How much boost are you running? Do you have a wideband? What have you run/dynoed? Chances are, if you're far from maxing out your current setup, then you'll be just as far from taking advantage of any changes you make. Your best option is tuning.

I have dsmlink, I have a wideband and I have pte1000cc and all the other supporting goodies. I decided I am going to wait and see what I can fully get out of this scm61 since it is like brand new!
Thanks guys!

Even though you decided to keep your current turbo thought would chime in. I have a 3065 and just turned it up from 14 to 20psi.Its crazy fast at 20psi tuned decent with dsmlink.I am running it on 92 gasohol.Its working good at 10.5 on dsmlink and timing is down a degree or so here and there to run the 92 comfortably. I ordered water /alco injection to run more timing and leaner afrs and more boost if I want. Your turbo will be crazy also . As a street turbo its almost too much when it spools up. I almost think a 3052 would be better for street car . But its nice to have the extra potential if ever go to track of want to duel here and there. The key is a decent tune and support mods.
Only things I might have done different are to maybe go mellower cams I have stage 3 crowers and in a 2.4 they are streetable but they hit mid and higher up the rpm band and feel like a shot of nitrous up there but for around town should have maybe went mellower to get a bit more low end. Ditto not sure if my sheet metal intake is hurting my low end a bit too. Of course for economy big turbos work ok as you aren't in boost that much unless you really want to be.

Anyway try your turbo you can go far with it just tuning will make a huge difference.

I second, the above post. Always max out before you upgrade!- you could have way more potential than you think, I am certian that if your scm61 is new, and your tired, then your not maxing, push until its not capable of more- then if its not enough- upgrade!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back