The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

FP2x worth the extra money over 272's

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slippi84 said:
The fpx series cams were made to increase ramp speed and be used with dual valve springs setups.
You are correct; I'm not quite sure what I was smoking when I posted that. My apologies for the mis-information. :p

I do stand by my suggestion of contacting Forced Performance to at least get their take on which application would be most appropriate, however. After all, it's their product.

i was considering going fpx cams with my 2.4 and already have the FP3065.I had 264/272 hks lying around never installed.I already have crower valve springs. So after reading some posts with great results with the crower stage 3s I went with them. Already have the springs and should work just fine with my 2.4 although stage 4 or 5 would likely be a bit better.
At least cams are easy to change out in your cars!

nanokpsi said:
Who lost power with them? I've certainly never seen that one before.

I never said you did, but yes - the individual did pick up power just by swapping from the FP2s to 272s.

also diambo4life, was the tune on the car with the t67 with 272's, the same tune with fp2x's? i would ask the guy if he was tuning all out with the fp's. we all know that different parts will require different tunes. also, what was the temperature of both dyno runs, and was it the same dyno used? what was the humidity like? were the cams even swapped out on the same day? get the guy to post in this thread his set-up and answers to my questions with dyno charts. then, and only then, are we going to make a rationale decision to believe said statement.

Did you really think I would bring it up if there was variability in the testing conditions? I mean....really? Information is out there if you look hard enough. :)

Formulate your own deductions. I am happy with my 272's. :boring: I have already stated what is needed to convince me further.

you also stated something about hks's being PROVEN, what makes you think that the fp's haven't proven themselves?

That's exactly what I'm asking. Prove to me that they are better than the 272s with an everyday, practical setup. I am rational. If I see a gain, I will be a believer.

diambo4life said:
I never said you did, but yes - the individual did pick up power just by swapping from the FP2s to 272s.

Did you really think I would bring it up if there was variability in the testing conditions? I mean....really? Information is out there if you look hard enough. :)

Formulate your own deductions. I am happy with my 272's. :boring: I have already stated what is needed to convince me further.

That's exactly what I'm asking. Prove to me that they are better than the 272s with an everyday, practical setup. I am rational. If I see a gain, I will be a believer.

Sayin that one person lost power when they switched to fp2 if it really happend (which I don't know about anyway) is noy justification that hks272's are better. FP2's have more top end then the hks 272's it's fact there is nothing to be proven just check the specs on the cams and ask 99% of the peopl that have run both or cal FP up. HKS are some of the most reliable cams but they have been around for a long time it's kinda like the 20g. It's great and still works but new technology alows people to upgrade .....ie fp2, fp2x ect...

diambo4life said:

I smell another cam shoot out coming.....

I heard and read about some great results with crower cams also.That is reason I got my stage 3s. Could have went stage 4 or 5 with my 2.4 but like not super lopey idle and figure these should be about right. Cam changes are simple anyway if want to go crazier later. The fp x series sound good but require more expensive valve springs.Another reason I went crowers.

I did have 264/272 hks but they were never installed. They were for use with my 2.0 and 50 trim and figured they would be a bit too tame for my 2.4 with FP3065.

diambo4life said:

i don't think any of us have to convince you of anything. you can believe what you want, and we all can get whatever cams we'd like. you expect us to give you even more proof on top of the proof posted for you to believe it, yet you don't have to post one thing of proof to support your beliefs. that is ludicrous! just because you've been on here for awhile doesn't mean that we have to automatically believe anything you say. the requirements are the same for everyone. if there is hearsay, you may be asked to prove it. i don't expect anything less of anyone on any board, and i would hope that you wouldn't either...

bluegs-t said:
i don't think any of us have to convince you of anything. you can believe what you want, and we all can get whatever cams we'd like. you expect us to give you even more proof on top of the proof posted for you to believe it, yet you don't have to post one thing of proof to support your beliefs. that is ludicrous! just because you've been on here for awhile doesn't mean that we have to automatically believe anything you say. the requirements are the same for everyone. if there is hearsay, you may be asked to prove it. i don't expect anything less of anyone on any board, and i would hope that you wouldn't either...

Precisely. Get what you want - I will stick with what works & has worked for years. I didn't ask you to believe me, now did I? Form your own judgements, I could care less but there's NOTHING that I have read in this thread that was convincing otherwise. Typical. I am skeptical and obstinate by nature and refuse to jump onto some hype-bandwagons.

diambo4life said:
Precisely. Get what you want - I will stick with what works & has worked for years. I didn't ask you to believe me, now did I? Form your own judgements, I could care less but there's NOTHING that I have read in this thread that was convincing otherwise. Typical. I am skeptical and obstinate by nature and refuse to jump onto some hype-bandwagons.

I can understand not wanting to hop on the new band waggon but man I hate to break it to you fp2 make more power 90% of the time period when used with the right setup than the hks 272's. Not wanting to hop on a band waggon and ignoring the next up coming company are two diffrent things.

Where is the proof either way? We have two or three dyno sheets supporting each side, which haven't even been linked in this thread to support either side, and too many potential variables to make any of them conclusive. On paper the FP2x is better, whether it is worth the extra cost in valve springs is up to you. Real world, probably need another controlled experiment cam shootout like AMS once did (and not on a maxxed-out 16g this time). I don't think you can make a blanket statement like "This cam makes more power 90% of the time" with no real proof to back it up.

Caithness said:
Where is the proof either way? We have two or three dyno sheets supporting each side, which haven't even been linked in this thread to support either side, and too many potential variables to make any of them conclusive. On paper the FP2x is better, whether it is worth the extra cost in valve springs is up to you. Real world, probably need another controlled experiment cam shootout like AMS once did (and not on a maxxed-out 16g this time). I don't think you can make a blanket statement like "This cam makes more power 90% of the time" with no real proof to back it up.

WHy do you guys keep saying there is no proof. Find any thread where people who have made the switch give first hand experience and it's always I made x amount more power and like I said there are some people that don't and that's people where the cams they had were better suited for their turbo's power range or w/e that's why I said 90% of the time. Fact of the matter is more lift and duration with higher ramp speeds make better powerband and more power period and the 2x's have that over the 272's. You don't need proof for that but if you guys are so dead set on proof go look up a thread called "cams basics"

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back