The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

FP 68HTA or FP RED

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwiftKidGSX

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 11, 2003
Cerritos, California
Hi Fellas - Need some additional input here. I am on the fence deciding which turbo to go with here...but my drivetrain is on the back of my mind here. Doing the switch to E85 and SD with ECMv3.

I am was recommended the 68HTA, "It's a fun street turbo" in place of a TD06 20G porter, clipped. I'm getting back into the scene after 15 years only to be in awe of everything and where its progressed.

HKS 264/272's
Metal 3 Layer Head Gasket
ARP Head Bolts
Ported 1g head
S/S Swirl Polished 1mm Oversized Valves (Nitride)
Crower Spring And Retainer
ACT 2600
Fidanza Flywheel

That's the head setup. Bottom end is stock.

Reason I was recommended the turbo was because of the transmission and its limitation and weakness of stripping gears, AWD here. I don't see much track time, maybe once here and there. But on the freeway most of the time.

What are your 2 cents here?

Thanks!

68HTA: Flow rating - 51LB per minute
FP Red: Flow rating - 61LB per minute

The FP Red will have more on the top end but the 68HTA will spool faster. Given your head's capabilities and the 2.0 block, I'd go with the FP Red if I were you. It'll have more top end and will be easier on your transmission. (high early torque is what kills trans iirc)

Joe wrenches ran 10's with a 68HTA and a 2.3 stroker.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Hey man I think EITHER turbo is an enemy to your transmission LOL, but I ran the fp red and loved it! Spool wasn’t bad at all, and I came from an evo 3 16g, it spools a little later but definitely pulls harder up top, you can’t go wrong with either. One question is do you want the stock appearing 68hta with the j pipe or the bigger downward facing Red?

As someone who just went from the 68hta V2 to the fp76 HTZ over the summer I would say the Red all the way. Little different setup but I am running GSC S2 cams 2g Head with RVR intake manifold and a S90 throttle body. It comes on a little slower than would be IDEAL for a street car but with having smaller cams you would probably see full boost sooner than my full boost at 49-5000. As long as you’re in the right gear it’s not bad at all. I’m also FWD so I like having it come on more gradually. IF you’re going to be running E85 you will want more than the 68hta has to offer I think.

68HTA: Flow rating - 51LB per minute
FP Red: Flow rating - 61LB per minute

The FP Red will have more on the top end but the 68HTA will spool faster. Given your head's capabilities and the 2.0 block, I'd go with the FP Red if I were you. It'll have more top end and will be easier on your transmission. (high early torque is what kills trans iirc)

Joe wrenches ran 10's with a 68HTA and a 2.3 stroker.

You can't go wrong with any Fp turbo in my opinion! Whats your power goals realistically? I had multiple 16g set ups, the 71hta and now I'm on a big guy the 78-64 fp Xona 86htz. I loved them all especially the 71 cause it spooled like a 16g but even my new set up is very responsive and tolerable for lag.

Keep in mind there are 2 versions of the hta68. I ran the v1 and the red. The red makes about a 100hp more and you lose a couple hundred rpm. I would run the red because it's still "streetable" and you can really turn up the boost and make 5-550hp with the right parts. Plus, you don't have to deal with the that dinky j-pipe and the small inlet diameter of the hta68. If it's a choice between the hta68 V2 and the red then that's an easier choice. The v2 is laggier than the v1.

Yep the version one was the one id go for if you can find one, my friend has a green and so far loves it, he just built the car so its fun, but his is also fully built.

Guys thanks for your input here!

I forgot to mention above that I am running a S90 70MM T.B. and Magnus SMIM if that skews the input choice.

EricTande say's RED - high early torque is what kills trans iirc
ist dwa say's BLACK but that turns to RED
1cleangsx says RED since EITHER turbo is an enemy to your transmission LOL - Truth Truth...:)
blackgst97 says
RED since IF you’re going to be running E85 you will want more than the 68hta has to offer.
95_gsx_2g says What's your power goals realistically? - I said 400-450 because of the 20G I previously had. But then someone came along and mentioned the RED and got me thinking about it and now on the fence, but the transmission was the original reason of the 68hta recommendation. And best "Street Turbo"
Vegas Smith says RED

For street, responsiveness and fun regardless of what gear it sounds like 68HTA, spools faster if my power goals are 400-450. For street & freeway fun on the "right gear" with an extra 100HP would be the RED. Top end power.

Based on the above, which would be most abusive on the transmission, the sudden torque responsiveness or the higher HP top end power?

I would say a red then, for the street, would be good, youll have room to grow with it. Do you ;plan on driving it hard and launching it all the time,

Guys thanks for your input here!

I forgot to mention above that I am running a S90 70MM T.B. and Magnus SMIM if that skews the input choice.

EricTande say's RED - high early torque is what kills trans iirc
ist dwa say's BLACK but that turns to RED
1cleangsx says RED since EITHER turbo is an enemy to your transmission LOL - Truth Truth...:)
blackgst97 says
RED since IF you’re going to be running E85 you will want more than the 68hta has to offer.
95_gsx_2g says What's your power goals realistically? - I said 400-450 because of the 20G I previously had. But then someone came along and mentioned the RED and got me thinking about it and now on the fence, but the transmission was the original reason of the 68hta recommendation. And best "Street Turbo"
Vegas Smith says RED

For street, responsiveness and fun regardless of what gear it sounds like 68HTA, spools faster if my power goals are 400-450. For street & freeway fun on the "right gear" with an extra 100HP would be the RED. Top end power.

Based on the above, which would be most abusive on the transmission, the sudden torque responsiveness or the higher HP top end power?

You will need a built transmission no matter which Turbo you choose if you are going to do high RPM hits, I killed my 2nd gear synchro's just remote tuning with Kevin Jewer for example with the 68HTA v2 at 20 PSI (this Turbo REALLY wakes up at 25 PSI or so). I ran a 68HTA v2 and liked it, but just moved up to a HTZ76 BB RED with Xona Components(Vegas Smith's old Turbo) for my G4CS 2.4 build and I can't wait to see the results.. I also get rid of that TERRIBLE J pipe design while cleaning up the engine bay, I can also add an extra 100 HP if I choose to turn it up, because I will be running Meth so it was pretty much was a no brainer for me to choose the Red (e.g I already have)..

Now, if you can find a 68HTA v1, that might be a little different story as it packs quite a different punch in comparison to the V2, GL with what ever you decide and keep us informed..

P.S. I will have a 68HTA v2 and all the fixings besides the FP manifold, with around 7k miles on it for sale very soon if you are interested..

I would say a red then, for the street, would be good, youll have room to grow with it. Do you ;plan on driving it hard and launching it all the time,

No not at ALL. Maybe just when I get the car up and going again or get hit up to run. But if anything it WILL ALWAYS be on a roll.

One thing to note is you can turn down a red or green to make 450hp. You can't realistically turn up a hta68 to hit 5-550hp. Your red/green will like you more at the lower power levels than the hta68. Easier on the engine and turbo if you have a bigger turbo turned down.

Never though about it that way...I like this.

I run a ballbearing red on my stock block evo, 36psi and it hauls. It also uses a UHF Turbine which isnt yet released (may or may not come to dsm platform)

I vote red, and yes it can still kill your trans haha. to help that a little I have staged my boost for torque to come on little later but from 5k to 8500 I’m at 36psi so it’s little easier on the stock parts when the mph isnt quite there yet

I said realistically cause alot of people say a # then want more shortly after or later. I think it more depends on how you drive the car. I'm only on my second stock transmission and it went just getting ready to pull out from old age/high mileage. If your not 2 stepping and launching or pegging redline missing/grinding gears etc the stock trans should be fine. Curt Brown the legend always used the stock transmissions into the 9s on the evo platform to boot!

Last edited:
Yep no launching or 2 stepping your transmisson im on a rebuilt tre trans with 90 gear set i have yet get on it, but im on a hx4o build engine, i plan on just taking it easy. Im not too concerned about the transmission.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back