The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

FP 2 vs HKS 272s

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burkgonzo

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 27, 2005
Wichita Falls, Texas
My friend and I are debating on what cams are better. I just sold me set of HKS 272s and am I using the FP 2s. What are the pros and cons vs each one of them. Thanks!

Supposedly no one has been able to truly duplicate the HKS cams and supposedly they flow the best. Of course in the DSM world everything has turned into a supposedly conversation.

they are about the same just the FP2's have a little more overlap I think giving them a little more top end this is what I have read and GSC1>FP2's

GSC1 has more lift than FP2 but a slightly shorter duration, putting it between HKS 264 and 272 but more closer to the 272

but the GSC1's will out perform both the HKS 272's and FP2's. Their GSC2's out performed, bc 280's, HKS 280's, and FP 2x's (which were later replaced by the FP3's) with the GSC2's only have 274 Duration

I like fp2. I have had fp2, comp2, HKS 272, BC272, Jun 264, fp2x, bc280, and I have a set of kelfords waiting to go in my next project. I know I have had others but cant think of what else off of the top of my head. friends have had ffwd, and web etc.....

I like the fp2. they idle very well, and gave me power through the entire rev range. No loss down low a bump in mid range and really good topend. These, I feel, are the best cams for 95-99% of dsmers out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like fp2. I have had fp2, comp2, HKS 272, BC272, Jun 264, fp2x, bc280, and I have a set of kelfords waiting to go in my next project. I know I have had others but cant think of what else off of the top of my head. friends have had ffwd, and web etc.....

I like the fp2. they idle very well, and gave me power through the entire rev range. No loss down low a bump in mid range and really good topend. These, I feel, are the best cams for 95-99% of dsmers out there.

OT. Haven't heard too many DSM using JUN. Its more of an overseas thing.

If you do some searching around on here you should come up with some info on comparing these two cams, back when the FP2's were fairly new. Not sure of anyone who posted up actual back to back info but in general, it was always said the FP2's will give slightly better top end performance with slightly slower spool vs the HKS 272's.

My friend and I are debating on what cams are better. I just sold me set of HKS 272s and am I using the FP 2s. What are the pros and cons vs each one of them. Thanks!

HKS cams are the only truly drop in cams out there. All the others HAVE to be degreed to get everything out of them. With that said, I would put my money on the FP2's to make the most power. BUT you are all forgetting to look at how the power curve is effected from each of these cams in question as well.

Theres also a lot more to look at than just the advertised degrees. Ramp rates and overlap can change things a hell of a lot while both cams are still "272* cams" higher ramp rate will make more power, but stress your valve train more. more overlap will make more top end power (Assuming your exhaust is setup correctly and not on a maxed out turbine making a shit load of backpressure) to a point anyway. Then what I just mentioned comes into play and you end up with backflow issues which is really not good.

Supposedly no one has been able to truly duplicate the HKS cams and supposedly they flow the best. Of course in the DSM world everything has turned into a supposedly conversation.

Supposedly, means jack and shit. "They flow the best" gtfo. Theres many more cams that are rated as 272's that will seriously out flow the HKS 272's. GSC's, Kelford, and I wouldn't be supprised one bit if FP2's did as well, and lets not forget Tomei, to name a few.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
From experience, the cams were so close, it didn't matter. HK$ is over priced however adn should be avoided like the plague.

FP2s tend to have more top end where as HKS tends to have more on the lowend side however with the FP2s topend being more exaggerated than the HKS bottom.

I had both and simply sold the HK$ due to the fact they cost more so I made more on the sale. (That was a few years back... now a days they sell for the same regardless) I loved my FP2s

Advice, HKS cams were the "real deal" cams that everyone had to beat. Over almost two decades later they still hold there own. Time gives way to copy's and new technology. I stuck with what works and are reliable. My HKS cams were purchased new in 2001 and have served me since day one. Who else can say that about there cams? Web cams, comp cams, and crane cams have all had bad issues over the years. Comp used to make Fp cams, I'm not sure if they still do. Also as stated, they are the only true drop in cams. I'll be curious to see how long these new options will last.

I love my HKS 272/272 cams, gained power through the whole RPM range and it idles nicely. Thought about selling them for FP2's, but just ended up keeping them. I figured the gains would be minimal if anything..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back