The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Found This 99GSX, Have Some Concerns

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Th3Revreant

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 8, 2012
Great Falls, Montana
I found this 99 GSX at a local dealer. Its an auto :banghead: but that can be remedied. I have some concerns though. When the car started up, there is a loud knocking noise coming from the motor until its warmed up and when I get on the gas, it sounds like it starts knocking again. Another is that the piping coming from the top of the turbo is aluminum and looks like it is just clamped to a flexible hose that goes to the stock IC.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I noticed when I floored it and went open throttle, the check engine light came on. I have seen this before with an SRT Neon that I drove awhile back and was an overboost issue. Can't tell how much the turbo is boosting due to the boost gauge being hooked up so that it sits under the hood in the engine bay. You might be able to see it in the video that I'll post here when it uploads. Vehicle only has 90500 miles on it.

Here are some other pics of the engine and the car:

Guess my question is, is it worth the 6k they are asking for it? Body is in great condition and the black leather seats are like any other 13 year old leather seats.

Video Added, not sure why it looks like its going through water: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE81z6ynma8

Is it a knocking or tapping?

Does it get higher as the rpm range increases?

The pipe leading to thar j-pipe is it aluminum too or is it rubber? Cause they could just have a uicp on it.

First of all why fix the "auto" problem. Like replacing trannys or what? Anywho, take it someone who knows what to look for and haggle the dealer from there. Check the timing belt for cracks and look for leaks as well. Make sure the fluids look good.

Oh whoops didn't look at the pics right.

That aluminum pipe off the Turbo is fine. Its a j-pipe and means the car isn't on the stock Turbo. Its e.ither the 14b or 16g.
The rest of the rubber hose is the stock piping. Do you know if the injectors are stock.

Is it a knocking or tapping?

Does it get higher as the rpm range increases?

Sounds like something is knocking on the underside of the valve cover until the engine comes up to operating temp. Don't hear it again until I put the pedal all the way down, but not as loud or noticeable.

ed1380- Not sure on shaft play, didn't get but 20 minutes with the car before the dealer closed last night. I will be back this afternoon and I will get some more pics of the turbo and what not. Transmission seems to shift smooth with no hesitation and when you start off in L and shift up, the car pulls pretty hard.

agentorange313- What are the signs of knock off turbo's?

burkgonzo-Can't stand auto's, more power with a M/T anyhow.

fonzi90tsi-I'll check and see what injectors they are.

Thanks for all the input, ill post some more pics here later. Just don't want to get into this car and find out the motor is all jacked up.

I had the same problem on a NT 1g. Found out it was lifter tick. 2 lifters were bout collapsed. Did the exact dame thing you described.

And most knockoffs don't have serial #s on the side. Mostly smooth. But some people like to shave and Polish their turbos.

I would be worried about the knocking especially if its increasing with rpms.

For the Turbo, look at the compressor housing and the numbers on it. Also if it says Turbocharger on it its usually a eBay Turbo.

6k is a lot for an auto gsx, in my area atleast. 3-4k sounds about right. As long as the knock isn't rod knock

looks like an ebay turbo, take off the intake and check the housing for a serial #(if it says EVO 16g/turbo etc.. its a knock off), also check for shaft play(in and out as well as left to right).also do a boost leak test. as far as the knocking it could be lifter tick as sometimes that goes away after the cars warmed up for a bit, but id take it to someone that can go through the car completley before u start talking $, just from the pics and reading your post i wouldnt pay anywhere near 6k for it...possibly 3/4k but have it checked out first.

here are the 14b/16g serial numbers to check for.

14B
49178-01010
49178-01030
49178-01400
49178-01410

Small 16G
49178-01520
49178-05200

Big 16G
49178-01420

Evo I Big 16G
49178-01450

Evo II Big 16G
49178-01460

Evo III Big 16G
49178-01470

td05 would be a knock off. td05h is a 16g evo 3 turbo. That is most likely what it is. As for 6 grand walk away. That car looks clean but not worth that. It is automatic for one. If you are paying cash for it you will still get taxed about 700 bucks. If you finance it you will pay around 9 or 10 grand! If you have down payment money Just go buy a standard gsx of craigslist and fix it up. That car is worth $4500 tops in phoenix and would take you a year to sell it at that price.

Last edited:
The wastegate actuator arm looks to be adjustable, so at least that part of the turbo is an eBay item. I'd be very surprised if that isn't a knockoff 16G.

The CEL is not coming on for overboost, the ECU doesn't check that directly. There's no true MAP sensor on a stock DSM, closest thing to that is the MDP sensor. Also, the closest thing DSMs have to an overboost CEL is fuel cut, where the ECU shuts off the injectors without warning because the MAS reported too high of an airflow value. So that's not the reason the light comes on. My money is on a misfire DTC.

In your video I didn't hear any rod knock, so I'd assume the sound you heard was from a lifter or two. An easy way to tell the difference is the speed at which the sound occurs, rod knock is either equal to or double the engine speed, lifter tick always occurs at half of engine speed (because the cams only rotate at half the speed of the crank).

With 90k on it, those knockoff parts and not knowing much else about it, I wouldn't pay more than $4500 even if the shell was completely mint.

Sounds like something is knocking on the underside of the valve cover until the engine comes up to operating temp. Don't hear it again until I put the pedal all the way down, but not as loud or noticeable.

ed1380- Not sure on shaft play, didn't get but 20 minutes with the car before the dealer closed last night. I will be back this afternoon and I will get some more pics of the turbo and what not. Transmission seems to shift smooth with no hesitation and when you start off in L and shift up, the car pulls pretty hard.

agentorange313- What are the signs of knock off turbo's?

burkgonzo-Can't stand auto's, more power with a M/T anyhow.
fonzi90tsi-I'll check and see what injectors they are.

Thanks for all the input, ill post some more pics here later. Just don't want to get into this car and find out the motor is all jacked up.

If you have never had an auto DSM give it another chance. The autos hold power better and are more consistent at the drag strip. If you research, you will find there are many benefits to having the auto.

As an auto its no where near 6k

id pay 4 at most for an auto gsx, and thats in sound mechanical condition
for that one, im thinkin 2.5 to 3. but maybe im just cheap. i picked up my 98 manual mint exterior and great engine for just under 5. keep shopin round.

All that sounds like lifter tick to me. It's an after market turbo and that's why it has a j pipe.

6K is waaaay too much. 2500-3500 max.

And all the Auto hate.

I paid 5K for my '99 GSX, as is, off the lot. Needs some body work and a little TLC. If I had waited for the car to be in perfect shape, it would've touched nearly $9K. Fully loaded and it comes with the rare H8-H9 ECU that Lancer Evolutions have.

Here in RI, sports cars are expensive, even if they need a little bit of work. Then again, I wouldn't want a cheap GSX that would break down at every turn.

^ 5 speeds do make more power than an auto. But auto's will have a lower et with same mods.An auto can shift faster than any 5 speed.Auto's are automatic NLTS.

I'm an auto guy myself.

I paid 5K for my '99 GSX, as is, off the lot. Needs some body work and a little TLC. If I had waited for the car to be in perfect shape, it would've touched nearly $9K. Fully loaded and it comes with the rare H8-H9 ECU that Lancer Evolutions have.

Here in RI, sports cars are expensive, even if they need a little bit of work. Then again, I wouldn't want a cheap GSX that would break down at every turn.

How do I tell if its the h8 ecu or not?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back