The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

found out something interesting about my history

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xcelr8n

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 31, 2003
toronto, Ontario_Canada
i was over at my grandparents house this evening, and we got to talking about past family, well turns out my grandmas father invented the muffler back in the early 1900's!!!
He patented the idea and brought it to Ford :mad: they rejected the idea saying it wasnt cost efficient, added unnecessary labor, and price of parts etc etc..
so it remained unused for the remainder of the 10 year patent, he didnt pick up the option of renewing the patent for a whooping 36 doolars 80+ years ago. Those bastards at Ford then took the idea, and the rest is history.

I was shocked personally, and btw my grandma isnt insane and telling me stories. :laugh:

here i am today paying for a muffler :mad:

The story of Johnny Muffler!

Just kidding you man, thats pretty interesting!

I'm related to the guy that developed aerial bombing, not the best thing to be proud of, but its something, right?

Sam Barksdale-Barksdale AFB, get it?

PS-I don't know if the guy who developed aerial bombing is named Barksdale, but I do know there is a Barksdale AFB, and that I am related to the guy that developed it, so I just put 2 and 2 together.

Originally posted by MyEclipse5
shewer and my friends uncle is Elvis:rolleyes:

yes cause i make up stories about mufflers. if i were to make up a story wouldnt i got further then a ####in resonated pipe?
damn kids

edit im a kid.

Nice family myths.

It might be possible to patent a certain type or feature of a muffler, but you'd not get a "muffler" patent that'd have design holes in it the size of Montana. And if it's real, give us the number. Anyone who's been within 300 yards of an unmuffled engine will begin on a muffler design that afternoon.

Billy Mitchell "invented" bombing, Barksdale is just where the 2d Bomb Wing is based.

Any kid who's been more than two stories off the ground has "invented" bombing. Mitchell just said it'd work against military targets. It never really did much in terms of effectiveness until we started steering the bombs, or (as with the cruise missles) let them steer themselves.

He also said we'd be attacked by Japan. And they court-martialled his ass.

Barksdale AFB is named for Lt. Eugene Hoy Barksdale, a WWI hero killed in flight testing between the wars. They don't associate him with bombing:

http://www.barksdale.af.mil/2bw/barkinfo/lthist.shtml

I invented the eagle talon......
My name is harley earl
and I came back to invent a great car
du du du du du du
aaaaaahhhhhhhhh
been a long time been a long time been a long time
aaaahhhhhhhh
du du du du du

Originally posted by Defiant
Billy Mitchell "invented" bombing, Barksdale is just where the 2d Bomb Wing is based.

Aerial bombing was NOT invented by Billy Mitchell. Mitchell is simply regarded as being the first to recognize the military significance of aerial bombardment and champion its use in WWII despite resistance from the military establishment of the time. It's also worth noting this only applies to fixed-wing aerial bombardment.

Aerial bombing was actually invented in the mid-1800s by the Austrian military using hot air balloons. See the following excerpt:

"The first aerial bombing was attempted in 1849 when the Austrians launched 200 pilotless, bomb-carrying hot-air balloons against forces defending Venice. Each bomb was released by a time fuse. However, the wind sent the balloons back over the Austrian troops."

http://www.centennialofflight.gov/essay/Lighter_than_air/military_balloons_in_Europe/LTA4.htm

It wasn't successful in the least, but it's the first documented attempt at the use of an aerial vehicle to drop munitions on enemy forces. There were several attempts afterwards in the 19th century that had mixed results.

ROW

I invented the Elevator button. Until my great discovery elevators were operated by giraffes and magic. My elevator button discovery was applauded by giraffes and magicians everywhere.

I also invented the computer mouse cursor. Up until that magical day, there were many computer retailers about ready to go out of business. The mouse cursor saved the day because they could then sell off their huge computer mouse inventorys. Basically I saved IBM and DELL from bankruptcy.

Believe it or not, both of those stories are true :thumb:

why is it i get the feeling you guys are mocking me?

Originally posted by xcelr8n
yes cause i make up stories about mufflers. if i were to make up a story wouldnt i got further then a ####in resonated pipe?
damn kids

edit im a kid.

Actually my friends uncle is Elvis, well her great uncle, her last name is Presley and everything:D (im beeing serious, believe it or not)

:| fine so its not that cool, but hey i wanted to say something that you wouldn't belive so that you'd be all like "stop mocking me" and then i'd be all like "its true" and you'd be all like "o"...not "dude thats sweeeet"

sheesh screw it up

First off let me say that I think fwdtsi is the one smokin smokey smchologens or whatever he just said :rolleyes:

Anyways your story is pretty cool. I wish somebody I knew invented something cool like that. I wonder how big the first muffler was...

I don't know if this really ties into this thread but one time my grandmother told me that she knew this guy that threw away a WHOLE sack of hermit crabs... Who knows I think she was lying.

whats special about hermit crabs? OMG

my friend and his parents to this day still say they are realated to that rum that has the pirate on it. Capt. Morgans spinced rum or whatever it is. they say that becuz there last name is morgan and some where along the lines they are related to him.

i give the bs story a good :thumbdown . i just find it very funny becuz how could they find out if they are related to a pirate that probably made his name up , that or Morgan was his first name. its just funny.

the only good story that i can remember fully was when i was at my granddads funeral, my dad told me about his grand father was an iron worker on one of the 3 bridges that go into downtown Pittsburgh and he fell into one of the holes(pillers) they were fillin with concrete and was burried alive in it. since back then they didnt have the safty stuff they have now or the knowlage.

my other grand father got to meet Gen. McArther in ww2 over there in i think it was North Africa or somewhere, id have to ask him again where he was at the time.

my friend and his parents to this day still say they are realated to that rum that has the pirate on it. Capt. Morgans spinced rum or whatever it is. they say that becuz there last name is morgan and some where along the lines they are related to him.

i give the bs story a good :thumbdown . i just find it very funny becuz how could they find out if they are related to a pirate that probably made his name up , that or Morgan was his first name. its just funny.

the only good story that i can remember fully was when i was at my granddads funeral, my dad told me about his grand father was an iron worker on one of the 3 bridges that go into downtown Pittsburgh and he fell into one of the holes(pillers) they were fillin with concrete and was burried alive in it. since back then they didnt have the safty stuff they have now or the knowlage.

my other grand father got to meet Gen. McArther in ww2 over there in i think it was North Africa or somewhere, id have to ask him again where he was at the time.

Originally posted by timz2882

I saw on Discovery Channel that this was impossible or at the least very very unlikely to happen. They said that if someone was to be buried alive, when their body decomposed it would create a hole and could cause the whole bridge, building, dam, etc to collapse.

Originally posted by DSMJim
I invented the Elevator button. Until my great discovery elevators were operated by giraffes and magic. My elevator button discovery was applauded by giraffes and magicians everywhere.

ROFLMAOx3

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back