The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Found my culprit for my detonation, melted pistons, blown head gasket

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GSTurbo1

10+ Year Contributor
May 2, 2012
Pickens, SC, South_Carolina
Well i did some research trying to find out why my car had overheating issues... turns out the spark ignition curve was way too aggresive under boost. Probably why my dyno numbers are so high, but ran too hot under boost, I bumped it way down while in boost until I get water/meth injection.

That sucks as I know what you're talking about. I had a 92 TSI AWD that melted a piston and popped the head gasket. It was a heap that I was toying with but didn't get very far because the previous owner was an idiot who did zero maintenance.

Yea the original builder did a great job of building it, put a lot of money, time, and effort in but people after him had no clue how to maintain it. Need less to say I have learned a great amount of info on imports and basic engine design and am proud to call myself an amateur mechanic. Needless to say I will compression check and leakdown test before I buy another car.

That's what i'm thinking, or at least to make myself feel better LOL. I really only drove the car for a month before the blowby got so bad I decided to rebuild. We compression checked as soon as I got it and the results were 150 +/- 10psi. So they probably were bad when I go it.

I have the map... but I did some research and it was the stock map that megasquirt supplied for the 420a which has been reviewed to be way too aggressive plus the timing advance does not begin to drop until it was hitting like 200kpa which my cars map does not even go that high. Tops I hit like 130ish.

can I post it on here?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back