The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Found another Subaru. I've got to be stupid

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pauleyman

DSM Wiseman
Nov 19, 2011
oklahoma city, Oklahoma
I'm looking for somebody with real world experience here. I just found a fairly low mile outback with a broken timing belt. How bad is a cylinder head job on these? What are the gotchas? I've done many on inlines. Flat 4 can't be that different other than I would assume you have to pull the motor to do this. Thoughts? Am I crazy?

And the drama continues. My other 2004 is leaking coolant and overheated. It seems to be fine. But anyway frustration set in and I went and put a deposit on a new subaru. This wasn't impulsive and I've been looking for a year but this was the proverbial straw.

Motors in those cars come out quick and easy. I have done tons of head jobs and headgasket over the years.
That’s biggest issue they have.
If you had extra grounds to each cylinder head it helps them from having headgasket issues
Biggest thing with the job is machine heads and block sand the cylinder block. To clean it up.
Other than that reliable cars.

You techincally can do the job with engine still in the car but there's hardly room to do spark plugs so I'd just pull the engine for convenience. Especially if pistons may be damaged. For a non turbo EJ there's no reason it should take more than 2 hours to have the engine out of the car unless you're moving slow. Leave the trans in place and there's one big connector that disconnects most of the wiring besides ground straps. If exhaust nuts aren't too rusty it's a simple task. Flat rate mechanics really get paid with these if they're experinced. And you may get lucky and not have bent valves. Had a broken timing belt on an EJ22 and no damage was done. Installed new timing kit and drive the shit out of it for another 10k miles before rod bearings gave up then did an EJ25 swap.

Worst case scenario you have problems with engine removal AND your valves/pistons/bearings are screwed (sometimes smashing a valve flattens the rod bearing). It still won't be too costly though since most machine shops are very familiar with Subaru heads and can build them for $125 each (in my area). Gasket sets and timing components are sold everywhere.

Hey there. You are in my area of expertise. I’ve probably done over 100 Subarus. If you can do a DSM valve job the subaru will be gravy work. It looks like you are 2004, no turbo model. As easy as it gets.

The engine comes out in an hour if you hustle. Remove intake with all the pipes and wires still attached. Everything is easy to get to. Use OEM head gaskets. It has adjustable valves. You will need 8 new exhaust valves. If you’re on a budget you can just lap them in. If you have a machinist and money have it done professionally.

Pm me if you have questions or want more details.

Found one to buy. Picked up a 2011 outback sport 5spd. Imprezza basically. Needs some tlc but it isn't bad for a teenager car.

Found one to buy. Picked up a 2011 outback sport 5spd. Imprezza basically. Needs some tlc but it isn't bad for a teenager car.
Nice, I like the body style of that generation. Hawkeye I think is what they call it. I thought the OEM clear tail lights were a nice touch. I had a 2010 model. It was a WRX but visually the differences are just bumpers, ride height, hood scoop and a larger spoiler.

Without a turbo, I bet that car would last forever. It still is going to have SSS (sloppy shifter syndrome), but very reliable. I actually think it's great for a teen since they have anti-roll assist for taking off in 1st gear on hills.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Nice, I like the body style of that generation. Hawkeye I think is what they call it. I thought the OEM clear tail lights were a nice touch. I had a 2010 model. It was a WRX but visually the differences are just bumpers, ride height, hood scoop and a larger spoiler.

Without a turbo, I bet that car would last forever. It still is going to have SSS (sloppy shifter syndrome), but very reliable. I actually think it's great for a teen since they have anti-roll assist for taking off in 1st gear on hills.

Shifter is good for now but I know of what you speak. Pretty easy repair except for the roll pin. Tight quarters.
I had to do the 2004. Used urethane while I was at it.

This isn’t a Hawkeye this is a stink eye the Hawkeyes we’re 06-07 I came from Subarus before buying my first dsm

This isn’t a Hawkeye this is a stink eye the Hawkeyes we’re 06-07 I came from Subarus before buying my first dsm
Ah, my mistake. That's why I said "I think". I never kept up with all those names, and there's a different one for every headlight redesign. I always called them by year model.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back