1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Fixed Issue Forum software upgrades performed on Jan 27th

Posted by Ludachris, Jan 27, 2019

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Feal Suspension
  1. Ludachris

Ludachris Founder & Zookeeper

Joined Nov 12, 2001
    Roseville, California
    Sorry for the downtime, we had to upgrade some forum software code and also some server software this morning. We are now running on more stable/secure versions of various software installations, which should result in faster page load times and other benefits. This was considered a minor upgrade compared to the update that will be coming sometime before summer. Everything should work as normal, but you might see some minimal changes here and there.

If you do run into any issues, please reply to this thread and let us know. Be sure to give as much info as you can, like the URL of the page you are viewing, what type of device and/or operating system you were using when the error occurred and the browser you were using. Screenshots are always helpful too.

We do know about the Timeslips section errors and are working on those. There have also been reports of problems with linking images from other websites.

Street Build 8K  0

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (sold)
    manual · 2G DSM

Road Race Build 7K  23

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    435.0 whp · 399.2 lb/ft · 1G DSM
  2. ec17pse

ec17pse Freelancer

Joined Nov 1, 2008
    London, Europe
    So far I notice that new threads and some old ones come up into the main page but not all unles you go looking for them? some with replys but not featured like it normally happens. but i noticed mine have not and neither are my classifieds? not sure why it has done this.

also when on the phone the banner along the top now follows you and gets in your way a makes the overall screen smaller which is annoying, when typing it makes you have a smaller window to view the text its fine on a full computer but on a phone screen space is critical, Hotmail did this a few years ago and i hate using hotmail and wish it would sort itself out but still insists in taking the whole space of the screen for no reason at all!

Road Race Build 8K  47

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    175 whp · 180.1 lb/ft · 2G DSM
  3. Ludachris

Joined Nov 12, 2001
    Roseville, California
    Understood on the second part of your post - I set the navigation bar to stick at the top of the page so people can easily jump around to different parts of the site. But on a phone it does take a little bit of space away. I can disable it on smaller screens.

On the first part of your post, I'm not sure I understand what you mean. It looks like the threads being shown are the recent threads from those sections. I'll do some more investigating though.

Street Build 8K  0

manual · 2G DSM

Road Race Build 7K  23

4. ec17pse

ec17pse Freelancer

Joined Nov 1, 2008
    London, Europe
    The sceen / tab will be good if it has an option to retract as i use google on the phone so it assumes its in comp mode, might be tricky if it dont seen its a small screen but i dont know how that works or data it see's to figure that out.

The first question is basically when someone replys to a thread of classified it always jumped back onto the main page when you enter Dsmtuners for all to see as a new comment/reply, always has done, now i dont know if its everyones but i noticed a few of my comments on my stuff it never goes to the main page anymore. No matter if I comment or someone else comments?

So i tested it out on 2 pages, nothing refreshed to the main page like it ways used to and someone replied no to the test and that they had to see the icon for a notification (watch thread) or they have to search for it manually.

I updated my build thread recently aswel and that USED to bring it back to the main page and it did not do this.

What i am going to do is comment on an older thread and see if it does it to that or not.

Road Race Build 8K  47

5. ec17pse

ec17pse Freelancer

Joined Nov 1, 2008
    London, Europe
    So i just replied to Gofers build thread and it should have taken that thread and put it in the main page. Main page being the home page where it shows a few different posts from sales to general threads and headline of the month(s)

But it has not pulled it to the front and seems to only shows its been commented on / new reply if you search for it or get notifications if you watch it.

Road Race Build 8K  47

6. 311oneG

311oneG Supporting Member

Joined Dec 14, 2018
    Spanish Fork, Utah
    I usually never see my build thread updates show up there. But that was before the update. I figured it filtered out the ones that were my posts.

Street Build 299  1

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM
  7. ec17pse

ec17pse Freelancer

Joined Nov 1, 2008
    London, Europe
    no it has always done it, for everyone so not sure why your was not doing that?

Mine and many others I follow and talk to will always jump to the front page even if they update their own page or someone else comments on it, so for as long as I can remember its been that way

Road Race Build 8K  47

8. ec17pse

ec17pse Freelancer

Joined Nov 1, 2008
    London, Europe
    nice work Chris, what ever you are altering its working, the updates are coming up in the main page and threads are showing up as a recent post and build threads. I shall play around more in different areas also, but these are what i found so far with the limited time to drive around the site haha

Road Race Build 8K  47

9. Ludachris

Joined Nov 12, 2001
    Roseville, California
    I just made some edits to the "recent" posts groups on the homepage. Let me know if you notice them working as expected now.

Street Build 8K  0

manual · 2G DSM

Road Race Build 7K  23

10. ec17pse

ec17pse Freelancer

Joined Nov 1, 2008
    London, Europe
    so far im seeing more from my threads and others i have been commenting on popping up on the main page so thats good, i think what you done worked

Road Race Build 8K  47

11. ec17pse

ec17pse Freelancer

Joined Nov 1, 2008
    London, Europe
    1 thing i am still noticing even though its small is when replying the name of the last person who replied is on the right, but like before its still changing the left name and picture of the thread holders name and pic, so it looks like the last person who replied made the thread, hope im explaining this ok

Road Race Build 8K  47

12. ec17pse

ec17pse Freelancer

Joined Nov 1, 2008
    London, Europe
    So if you see here on adaptor plate, thats me replying last but its now showing my pic and name where it should and used to display the original persons details for the thread, i know this happened before and it got fixed but now its back,

Just a small thing but they all help when looking over stuff Screenshot_20190130_211143_com.android.chrome.jpg

Road Race Build 8K  47

13. Ludachris

Joined Nov 12, 2001
    Roseville, California
    Yeah, that's the downside of changing the sorting. It sorts it by latest replies but it screws up the author avatar and name next to the thread name. I'll see what can be done.

Street Build 8K  0

manual · 2G DSM

Road Race Build 7K  23

14. ec17pse

ec17pse Freelancer

Joined Nov 1, 2008
    London, Europe
    Well so far its been all smooth sailing but tonight something has happened, Ad's are jumping up getting in the way and alot are now displayed on the home screen or each thread more,

Is there a reason for this? Or this part of the nee structure and we have to deal with this

Road Race Build 8K  47

15. ec17pse

ec17pse Freelancer

Joined Nov 1, 2008
    London, Europe
    Screenshot_20190205_224455_com.android.chrome.jpg Screenshot_20190205_224558_com.android.chrome.jpg

Road Race Build 8K  47

16. Ludachris

Joined Nov 12, 2001
    Roseville, California
    We're making a change to the ad network we were using - please excuse the mess through the transition. Those ads will be set to be shown to logged out members.

Street Build 8K  0

manual · 2G DSM

Road Race Build 7K  23

17. ec17pse

ec17pse Freelancer

Joined Nov 1, 2008
    London, Europe
    Oh ok, when they started jumping up they blocked alot of view,

Ive tried checking other areas and so far i dont see anything thats a possible issue anymore, not that i can see anyway.

So good work on the upgrades man

Road Race Build 8K  47

18. Ludachris

Joined Nov 12, 2001
    Roseville, California
    Thanks for the report, glad to hear you're not having any issues now.

Though I couldn't tie any specific issues to the old ad networks we were using, I had some suspicions that they might have been causing browsing problems for some users. So just to be safe, we've dropped those networks and are using a new provider that I've been told should be more reliable when it comes to browsing experience. Of course, if you just log in to the site you won't have to see those ads at all. And we still have specific locations where we display our supporting vendor advertisements for all to see, no matter if you're logged in or not.

Street Build 8K  0

manual · 2G DSM

Road Race Build 7K  23

19. ec17pse

ec17pse Freelancer

Joined Nov 1, 2008
    London, Europe
    Yeah thats understandable, im always logged in so i see the normal vendor adverts and thats fine with me,

Its the huge double ones that show stuff i have looked at before popping up, those are the ones that can get annoying as you wikl go to type and they jump up and next thing you know you clicked on the link and takes you from the page you was trying on,

Road Race Build 8K  47

20. ec17pse

ec17pse Freelancer

Joined Nov 1, 2008
    London, Europe
    I forgot to say again but the too banner still sits and closes the screen space down when on a phone. Is this something that can be resolved or this is the only way to have it?
    Its not a huge issue persey, just means on a phone it takes that much space away to view

Road Race Build 8K  47

21. Ludachris

Joined Nov 12, 2001
    Roseville, California
    I disabled the sticky top navigation on screen sizes below 800 pixels. It was set to 600px before. Does that help?

Street Build 8K  0

manual · 2G DSM

Road Race Build 7K  23

22. ec17pse

ec17pse Freelancer

Joined Nov 1, 2008
    London, Europe
    No it still shows when on a phone, it might never go because it opens through chrome, i dont know how it tells if its on a small screen or not

Road Race Build 8K  47

23. Ludachris

Joined Nov 12, 2001
    Roseville, California
    I use Chrome on my phone and it doesn't stick to the top. Is this in landscape or portrait? Are you holding the phone normally or sideways? What kind of phone? It shouldn't matter what kind of phone really, as the code tells the browser what to do, but if it's an older phone or the browser being used is an older browser, it might cause issues.

Street Build 8K  0

manual · 2G DSM

Road Race Build 7K  23

24. ec17pse

ec17pse Freelancer

Joined Nov 1, 2008
    London, Europe
    Its both ways, it is a Mate 20 pro so its new new.

My settings are what ever is on the phone but doubt thats making that website banner stay?

Screenshot_20190211_173305_com.android.chrome.jpg Screenshot_20190211_173319_com.android.chrome.jpg

Road Race Build 8K  47

25. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Supporting VIP

Joined Jan 5, 2012
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    Just to give some info, I have a Google pixel 2 xl using chrome and my phone does NOT do the sticky banner. In fact of late everything's been working very well, save some of the "recent posts" updates not coming through or going to top heirarchy, which is small beans. Otherwise I seem to be having little to no issues vs a couple months ago I was having log in issues etc.

Is it possible it's a setting in your user profile on tuners Bobby? Idk if that's possible to toggle but that's my next guess, might also recommend doing a software/firmware update on the phone if you haven't checked in a bit.

Street Build 198  3

1990 Plymouth Laser N/T
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM

287  8

1987 Toyota Pickup/Hilux
    awd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 838  7

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 1K  1

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM