The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Former ACT users: AWD's who launch hard only pls!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GUTSI

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 6, 2002
T.O., Ontario_Canada
K, here's my scenario, and Im sure some of you have experienced the same, so looking for some feedback/advice.

I just recently fried my ACT "performance" street disk (what an insult to the word 'performance') :barf: Also using the 2600lb pressure plate.

Clutch isnt even a full year old, and I was getting slippage at the dragstrip thru gears 1-3.
Mind you, Im using a 2 step rev limiter (launch control if you will) set at 5500rpm, and according to my logs, I leave the line at 100% throttle with anywhere from 15-19psi of boost.

Right away I started slipping. That POS disk couldnt even hold one launch. Im surprised I still managed a 1.80 60ft.

Now I tend to slip comin out the hole (as any AWD makin good torque would) The slipping created more heat than the clutch could handle, and just wouldnt hold thru the whole run.
Am I leaving too hard? Before the 2 step, I used to launch around 5500 anyway, BUT obviously not at 100% throttle while waiting for the tree to turn green

Im wondering if any of you had experienced similar instances where full faced disks have failed? I've been recommended to use a "sprung" puck-style clutch (I personally like Comps Stage 4 ceramic), but is it true that pucks arent meant to be slipped? Are they really that bad on the street?
I know ACT makes a 6 puck, but I heard its impossible to slip, and is ON/OFF only.
Comp makes another type of puck, its 'iron/carbon'.....any users?

There's also SPEC, they make a Stage 3+, which is a full face carbon/metallic disk, which seems to be a pretty good

Basically just trying to get feedback on the different types of clutches any of you have used with great success.
*PLS NOTE*
If you can also explain your launching technique, it'll give me a good idea of what works with what.

Much obliged fellas

Well your launch technique isnt the problem. I have atleast 100+ 5500 rpm launches on my AWD car. At first i used the ACT 2100 street disc and that didnt get me very far without slipping in the higher gears. Then went to the centerforce DF and it lasted and held ALOT more power then the ACT but has now been replaced since it began to slip to. I now have a ACT 2900 street disc and it holds good so far.
Thats my experience with hard launches. I am not easy on my car either.

I've had the same ACT 2600/street disk combo on my car for about 3 years now, with probably 250+ drag launches on it. I tend to get a lot of wheelspin off the line since I'm using 18" wheels with low profile tires. My launch technique is a little different and probably a little more abusive on the clutch than normal; I launch at WOT off a 6500 rpm 2-step and slip the clutch almost all the way until I shift to second at 8000 rpm. A good 60' for me is in the 1.7-1.8 range.

Havind said all that, I'm actually surprised my clutch has lasted this long. It will be interesting to see what it looks like when I finally change it. The next clutch I get will be a twin plate so I don't have to deal with such heavy pedal pressure.

It almost sounds like the ACT wasn't installed correctly in your setup, it shouldn't have been slipping like that right away. What flywheel were you using? Was it stepped correctly? Did you handle the disc itself, or get any oils on the disc or flywheel surface right before install? Also, if the clutch pedal was adjusted all the way out then it is possible your disk was never fully engaged, which would explain all of those symptoms, as the slipping would super heat the clutch and only make things worse.

On the ACT2600 with at EIII 16g I think the best 60' time was a high 1.6X done by my brother, but the best I could manage was a low 1.7x. This was with a 5500 rpm stutterbox and a hard slip, not a drop. On cold/wet surfaces I would have no problem breaking traction, so something doesn't sound right about that.

It almost sounds like the ACT wasn't installed correctly in your setup, it shouldn't have been slipping like that right away. What flywheel were you using? Was it stepped correctly? Did you handle the disc itself, or get any oils on the disc or flywheel surface right before install? Also, if the clutch pedal was adjusted all the way out then it is possible your disk was never fully engaged, which would explain all of those symptoms, as the slipping would super heat the clutch and only make things worse.

On the ACT2600 with at EIII 16g I think the best 60' time was a high 1.6X done by my brother, but the best I could manage was a low 1.7x. This was with a 5500 rpm stutterbox and a hard slip, not a drop. On cold/wet surfaces I would have no problem breaking traction, so something doesn't sound right about that.

Yeah it was installed right, 100% on that. No oils on any of the surfaces. And the flywheel is also ACT. Factory stepped. And the clutch wasnt adjusted all the way out...just a minor tweak to get the right release point.

Valid points you bring up though. :)

I should've noted, that it only started slipping AFTER launching with the 2 step makin boost. Last year (prior to the AEM), I pretty much still slipped @ 5500 comin out the hole with no issues whatsoever.
NOW, with these WOT launches & boost, it slips after just the first pass.

Its obviously glazed now too, ### I cant launch at all without it slipping in the first 2 or 3 gears.
On the street however, daily driving, it holds like a champ.

Just doesnt like to be launched! LOL

Anyway, this clutch is comin out. Anybody slip any of the puck style clutches comin out the hole? Are they slippable?

I had a couple diffrent Comp Clutch puck clutch's and all I did was break the springs out of them. They can be slipped you just have to have good foot work, it will only take a day to learn. They are noisy, on decel it sounds like a bunch of tin cans are stuck under the hood. They grip well and I broke 3 bolt axles like they were made from wood with the puck clutch. If you go with a puck clutch I would say Clutchnet has the best looking dicsc out there, but I have no experiance with them. Something I would try first if I were you is go with a South Bend Kevlar disc from hoursepower freaks and reuse the 2600 pressure plate if it is still good. Twicks has has good results with that combo.

Im running the 2600 and i have probably 100+ hard launches on it with the 16g. It would spin pretty hard. I did a quick slip so the clutch was fully engaged maybe 10-15 feet off the line. Clutch is still holding strong. These were on a high 12 second setup and 1.7 60's

I'm running a act street disc and flywheel setup. I did have to replace the disc due to a install problem but other then that I've had no issues. I'm only running low 13's high 12's without a 2 step or anything else. My mods are in my profile....and I slip it in around 5500rpm.

Does it only slip on launches or when your doing street pulls also?

I have a dxd south bend 2200 pp w/ a half kevlar/cermic disk and I recently started slipping on race gas with 5500rpm 2step launches, but that was from making too much power for that current clutch setup and plus the disk being old with near a 100launches on it.

I am going to upgrade to either the act 2900, or the act 2600 w/ a Southbend full kevlar disk.

Twick69 recommend me that setup, kevlar has a lot of good properties to it and he ran dozens of high tens second passes on that setup I believe; with good wear characteristics, and engagement as Kevlar will come back to life after reseating it if it slips. Thats how I am able to still drive around on my current kevlar disk after slipping it so bad. Organic wont do that.

South Bend Mitsubishi 2G Eclipse-Talon Clutch Disks

Just my 2cents

Cool cool...thanks for the input guys. Yeah technically I should be flirting with 12's no problem...but just cant! I've only run twice, a 13.2 and 13.3 :coy:
Didnt wanna run more otherwise I might've needed a tow LOL

Only happens when I launch...on the street holds well.

I looked into the 'southbend' kevlar disk. Something to keep in mind.

Anybody else wanna chime in with their experience's with pucks? Or launching woes? LOL

Cool cool...thanks for the input guys. Yeah technically I should be flirting with 12's no problem...but just cant! I've only run twice, a 13.2 and 13.3 :coy:
Didnt wanna run more otherwise I might've needed a tow LOL

Only happens when I launch...on the street holds well.

I looked into the 'southbend' kevlar disk. Something to keep in mind.

Anybody else wanna chime in with their experience's with pucks? Or launching woes? LOL

Well, it sounds like you are slipping the clutch a little too much, and you are overheating the disk. Organic disks cannot handle heat; they are made to be smooth and for street driving. Carbon or Kevlar disks are just as smooth, but can handle alot of heat and slipping without major issues. Also, your clutch adjustment point may have needed adjustment.

I really liked using the ACT 2600 PP with the South Bend Clutch sprung Kevlar disk with great success for a long time. It handled alot of abuse lived.

If you are going to use a street disk, you are better off dumping it a little faster (slipping the clutch less). If you are going to continue drag racing, I would stay away from puck clutch disks (3-puck, 4-puck and 6-puck). If anything, your best investment will be using a Quarter Master 7.25" twin disk clutch with a chromoly flywheel. It can handle all the power you are going to throw at it, as well it is lighter and has less rotational inertia. The benefit of this is much faster revving, along with the ability to have extremely fast shifts and less wear on the transmission synchros. They might seem pricey when compared to a single disk clutch, but you need to understand that it is a QUALITY part. The price is definitely worth the product you receive.

Key things; clutch adjustment, and driver. When using a multi-disk clutch, you are better able to control launching by using the e-brake while slipping the clutch at the line on the two-step, and pulling much better 60's while never again missing a shift due to the clutch.

The replacement parts are also readily available, and are price effective.

I had my Quarter Master for over two years now, and have over 35K street miles, 250+ dyno pulls, 150+ track passes, and am putting down nearly 1000tq at the crank. This clutch has LASTED! The initial thickness of the disks are .250" (the 7.25" unsprung metallic RALLY disks), and they were at .2446" when I took them out last month! The reason for the replacement was because we blew up the transmission, and also ripped the splines off of the clutch disks (The input shaft also twisted the heck out of the splines)! This was all on the standard "off-the-shelf" rally disks. I have now upgraded to the FORGED HUB version of the unsprung metal rally disks; and kept the pressure plate, flywheel and floater plates. The other parts were still well within rebuilding specifications, and have lasted much longer than any other clutch I have had, with alot less visible wear. The clutch is also extremely resistant to heat wear and failure.

If you want a clutch that can handle anything you are going to throw at it, along with being better for your engine and transmission, along with having pedal pressure like a stock clutch, etc; you should look into the Quarter Master twin disk (check out DevoTuning.com for details).

Otherwise, the SBC Kevlar disk and ACT2600PP will suit your needs if you are looking for a less expensive street clutch.

If you change over to a twin-disk, you will wonder why it took you so long to change over to a twin-disk -- it is night and day on the shift quality, shift speed, and servicability of the clutch when compared to any single-disk clutch on the market.

Good luck in your endeavors,

TMZ

I am running a act street disk and SBR 4500 PP and it was working grate. Had grate pedel feal until i started launching it at upwards of 7000 rpms( have .81AR exhaust )The disk did not like that at all. It took it and dident slip until about 4000 miles later the disk was cashed. I am going to be looking into a twin disk as i have wasted(ebay 6 puk,SBR kevlar 4500 disk,Act street disk. All within a year and a half.:notgood:

I am running a act street disk and SBR 4500 PP and it was working grate. Had grate pedel feal until i started launching it at upwards of 7000 rpms( have .81AR exhaust )The disk did not like that at all. It took it and dident slip until about 4000 miles later the disk was cashed. I am going to be looking into a twin disk as i have wasted(ebay 6 puk,SBR kevlar 4500 disk,Act street disk. All within a year and a half.:notgood:

Damn those must be some serious launches. Your lucky its only clutches that feel your wrath, and not the drivetrain! ;)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back