The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

forged pistons on stock rods?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boosted99_420

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 26, 2010
Fort Carson, Colorado
I was wondering how some wiseco pisons would do on stock 6 bolt big rods. Im not going all out on the internal build yet I am going to so strait to I beams eventually. So was going with this setup if its possible and would work good cause I know there are some stock blocks running 9s so im sure the 6 bolts can take 400-450 whp.

If you are going to drop the coin on the forged pistons, spend the few extra bux and get some decent rods to hang them on.

But yes you can hang forged pistons on the stock rods.

Like i said im just getting it on the road with 400whp. Im going with i beams next so why get h beams now just to take them out.

Eagle H beams boast that they're good to 1000hp! Although I am kind of skeptical of that number, there are plenty of people over 600 HP with them. I know a couple locals well over 700whp. I have "heard" they were reliable to 800 HP, but thats just hearsay.

I have read that H beams are stronger against certain directional forces than I beams, and vice versa. I would say that makes sense based on their design.

Eagle H beams boast that they're good to 1000hp! Although I am kind of skeptical of that number, there are plenty of people over 600 HP with them. I know a couple locals well over 700whp. I have "heard" they were reliable to 800 HP, but thats just hearsay.

I have read that H beams are stronger against certain directional forces than I beams, and vice versa. I would say that makes sense based on their design.

i got SCAT rods, they are made from the same blank as the eagle rods only cheaper cause of the brand name.

+1 Each serves their own purpose, I wouldn't say one is exactly "stronger" than the other.

Like i said im just getting it on the road with 400whp. Im going with i beams next so why get h beams now just to take them out.

well did you plan on using the same forged pistons on the aftermarket rod?

Hope not.. 6 bolt rods are a "press fit" and it is common it break/crack or deform a piston when it is pressed off.

Most aftermarket rods will be a floating small end, that means the wrist pin will slip thu the small end of the rod. the wrist pin will be held in place with clips in the piston.

Read these links....

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...ss-fit-pistons-balace-rods-6bolt-1g-4g63.html

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/cylinder-head-short-block/342138-how-fix-balance-hang-pistons.html

I've been in many cars with Eagles rods that made over 700whp. It's a Great rod at a Great price. I swear by them. As for the OP, of this thread. A forged piston has alot of weight to it. The setup you proposing is possiable but why would you? I would suggest a quailty rod. If you choose not to thats fine. Keep it below 8000 rpm and 600awhp and it should last you. I would always suggest the rod bolt for the stock rods aswell. Some shops used to call that there stage 2 build.

So you going to spend $500-$600 on some forged pistons, but wont spring the extra $200 for some decent rods? I'm confused by that...

As for H vs I beam, a lot really comes down to who is manufacturing them and how they were engineered with where material is. "Which is stronger" or rated higher normally comes down to which manufacturer you are going with.

i got SCAT rods, they are made from the same blank as the eagle rods only cheaper cause of the brand name.

As for this... Scat is a big brand name company, the Walmart of the racing world if you would.

already have the engine built so this can be closed. Also forged pistons arnt $500-$600 unless you get HD

If you want to get technical, I have seen pistons range from $400-$1200. But best of luck going the budget route.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back