The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Forged pistons available in stock bore that'll fit OEM 1990 rods???

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbodoug

Probationary Member
Mar 9, 2005
Rockvale, Tennessee
I cracked a piston. This was due to incorrect base timing, which caused detonation at only 11* timing advance. It didn't detonate for long, but the damage has been done (compression test cyl 1 = 76 PSI).

I have another stock block that's ready to drop in, but I'd like to throw a set of forged pistons in there while I'm at it. Does anyone make a forged piston that'll directly work with stock 1990 big rods and stock cylinder bore? If so, are the pistons sized properly with enough clearance for a stock bore cylinder? This block doesn't have time to go to the machine shop.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

BTW- My setup is a complete 1990 6-bolt with ARP studs, HKS 264 cams, EVO 3 16G turbocharger, FMIC, full stand alone fuel & spark, ACT 2600 clutch, aluminum flywheel. These parts are the reason I'm looking for forged pistons. Expecting to run ~20 PSI daily. Anyone ever tried a similar setup on a stock bottom end? Think it'll hold?

I would really recommend having that other block bored .020 over.... Did you at least have a machinest check the cylinder wall roundness?

I believe JE offers some 8.5:1 forged pistons for an 85mm bore and a 21mm wrist pin. I'll verify that in the morning when I get back into my office. :dsm:

That's what I have. They're 8.3:1 and mount directly on the rods no problems. If you can't find them, call Wiseco. They shipped them directly to me.

90CherryTSI said:
That's what I have. They're 8.3:1 and mount directly on the rods no problems. If you can't find them, call Wiseco. They shipped them directly to me.
did you drop the pistons in or did you get the block clearanced?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back