The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

ford guys help me out!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95whitegst

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 14, 2009
lancaster, Pennsylvania
ok so i just changed the alternator battery and belt on my moms 04 ford explorer and for some reason the belt still makes a little bit of noise :confused:. im not sure what it could be, the belt has a notch where the tensioner goes so the belt cant be lose because it always is at the same place anybody have any ideas

Be a little more explicit and describe the noise. Just guessing, I would say you may have a bad bearing in the idler pulley.

Yes, we need more info. But the first step is usually to pull the belt and spin everything by hand. Listen for squeaks or feel for rough bearings. If that doesn't work, put the belt back on. Let it run till it starts making noise, then shut it off and spray some pb blaster or wd-40 on the idler or tensioner pulley. Spray the front and back, just don't spray the belt. Start the truck and see if the noise is gone. If it is, then replace that pulley. Just make sure you do one at a time so that way you know which one it is.

4.0 or 4.6?

its the 4.0 and thanks man im gonna go give that a shot right now

I know this doesn't directly go with the ford question.......

But my talon does this crap. It squeals like a banshee, then when she gets all nice and warmed up.....nothing. Quiet again.

Thoughts are welcome. Oh and it was right after i replaced the PS belt

Take the belt off as said and spin all the pullies to check for squeaks or worn bearings,etc. Definitely don't overlook a bad tensioner pulley too.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back