The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Forced Four box help.. (On FB if possible)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1fastcolt

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 27, 2011
Tucson, Arizona
Who is the go to on the smart 150 Forced Four box, that isn't "super busy" and that is on facebook who can help me out.

I know here is a great place for info but takes forever sometimes to get a response or answer. (doesn't bother me on most questions but this I need almost instant input).

Thanks much. Name on FB is Steve Kolstad. Pics are of my van to make it easier to find.

I was one of the first to have the smartshift 100.1 (now discotinued) but the new model has more features that I am not real familiar with.
My serial number on my box was "000000" ROFL
This was what I came up with before Shawn started putting in shift maps for users. My son and I had to figure out the shift maps and such and communication between ForcedFour and I were sporadic.

Sorry I can't be of more help. @enriquez2000 and I worked separately and together to try and figure it all out. Maybe he will have some input on it as he started knowing more than I did :thumb:. He "may" be on FB but I am not so I can't be of help there, I apologize.

thanks for the reply 1990.. I seen them before.. but that was while researching before I got the unit... now I have the program opened its a whole new world LOL.. I will look them over again now alot more closer.. thanks again.

Just for posterity sake, post what you need help with here and I’ll try to post answers or someone else more knowledgeable than me will answer just in case future people need the same answers.

I also reply pretty quick here. It’s what I do to pass the time inbetween EMS calls. Lol.

Kinda long as I'm new to auto and this has me so confused. LOL
I just got the 150 installed, it's still on jack stands so I let it idle till warmed up shifted thru the gears a few times before I checked fluid. (sat for 5 months while swapping to auto) All was good.

I was told I only needed to connect 2 wires to the trans. After reading and speaking with someone else I actually needed the blue wire also for the full pressure and soft downshifts. (realized this after it jerked pretty bad on 2-1 downshift at idle) I hooked it up and now the solenoid constantly clicks with key on, even with motor off.

This is one issue other is I have the handheld (that came with a used bad box I got only used it to test the shifting) when I would load the program it would be in 3rd which I read it should be. I then removed the and put the display in that I bought with the box.

Now each load up it shows 1st gear and I cant get the TPS to set. It works fine in link.

Just trying to get a feel for this before I take it on maiden voyage. Don't want to mess/burn up the box. Not much info anywhere out there on the 150 setups.

Thanks much for reading and trying to help.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Just for posterity sake, post what you need help with here and I’ll try to post answers or someone else more knowledgeable than me will answer just in case future people need the same answers.

I also reply pretty quick here. It’s what I do to pass the time inbetween EMS calls. Lol.
Its Christmas time and I am at the post office but the forum is up all day while I am here for any help that I can be also.
Any way to show us the wiring diagram like I had for the 100.1 box?

im pretty sure it uses the same diagram... im ouside (cold as hell here in az LOL) so if I uncheck the softshift then the clicking stops... when I turn it back on it clicks and the duty cycle changes to 20%.. and I have it set to entry gear in 3rd on the adv tab but it still goes to 1st.

Update.. so I spoke with shawn @ FF.. he said the clicking was normal when shoft shift is enabled.. now to figure out why my tps and rpm arent showing... then I can test drive it..

Last edited:
im pretty sure it uses the same diagram... im ouside (cold as hell here in az LOL) so if I uncheck the softshift then the clicking stops... when I turn it back on it clicks and the duty cycle changes to 20%.. and I have it set to entry gear in 3rd on the adv tab but it still goes to 1st.

Update.. so I spoke with shawn @ FF.. he said the clicking was normal when shoft shift is enabled.. now to figure out why my tps and rpm arent showing... then I can test drive it..

Never gave me notifications until Marty quoted me, and it got suddenly busy AF. Lol.

But I feel there needs to be an rpm and tps reference wired to the shift box or its not gonna know what those values are. And the clicking is normal, but annoying AF if you don’t know it. Lol.

yeah im not sure why its not reading the 2.. is there a trick to setting the tps? i read it had to be running.. that didnt work.. its supose to be 63 here next 2 days then 68 sat and sunday.. then 50s all next week so I would like to get this fixed and test drove before monday.. just need to fix these input issues and figure out why it loads up in 1st gear.. then I should be good to go. untill I up all the settings LOL.

Ill offer up my cell number and you can text me... i didnt get any of these notifications.

9706917006... no drunk calls or texts... LOL

Box does need rpm, tps and speed signals to do its thing.

As long as youre wired in there is a tps adjustment in the software as well

Ill offer up my cell number and you can text me... i didnt get any of these notifications.

9706917006... no drunk calls or texts... LOL

Box does need rpm, tps and speed signals to do its thing.

As long as youre wired in there is a tps adjustment in the software as well

*casually signs him up for goat pr0nz text based service*

:p

The speed sensor is important if you don't have that hooked up. It can wire into the back of the instrument cluster but if it was a factory auto car, there is a VSS signal wire already in the harness.
As for the TPS, I set mine with key on, zero throttle and hit the button for zero, then I do the same for WOT and set it. Even though my box had some issues that never gave me a problem

Edit: just noticed this is in a Colt. I would bet it has a VSS signal on its cluster also.

Last edited:
If it was an automatic the VSS should be available on the TCU's connector along with the TPS signal. (for example pin 40 on the two connector TCU and pin 18 on the three connector TCU)

The ODB1 Mitsubishi based cars typically also have the VSS on the diagnostic connector pin 11.

If it was an automatic the VSS should be available on the TCU's connector along with the TPS signal. (for example pin 40 on the two connector TCU and pin 18 on the three connector TCU)

The ODB1 Mitsubishi based cars typically also have the VSS on the diagnostic connector pin 11.
His car is an auto swap with no harness... he is tapping into ecu pin 18 I believe for vss

Pin 109 on ecu for tach
Pin 19 on ecu for tps

close I ended up unhooking all the wires and redoing them with the harness that came with the box (had the old box harness in there).. I ended up tapping into my speedo feed to the ecu for the vss.. and from the tach gauge to ecu for the rpm... then I tracked down the tps signal from under the hood and tapped into that because it worked there... but inside van at the ecu it would read 5v constantly with no chage when pushing throttle.. so I just ran a wire from outside to inside for now and it works.. got it all setup.. drove up the street.. shifted to 2nd.. then back to 1st.. (15-20 mph at this point)... when I turned around it shifted to 2nd and 3rd... so I think the fluid just wasnt fully distributed in the trans yet LOL.... tomorrow or sat I will warm it up again and check level and test drive it again.. I do have the 1-2 shift set for 3k.. and the 2-3 at 2500 for now just to make sure it shifts ok.. then I will up it as I drive it more..

thanks to everyone Especially Enriquez2000 who texted for a few hours with help.. much appreciated man.. and i will be asking more of u soon when I start to up everything ..

Steve

So the issue you had was bad signal source? Here's hoping it's 100% good! I had a feeling it was wiring related/source wire related, but always good to get confirmation from others.

yeah not sure why but for some reason from where the tps plugs into the harness.. to the ecu something is wonky. so I went straight to the source for good connection..

Glad you got all your signals sorted... youll want to look at that tps signal with your ecu... ecu is gonna need that data if its not being provided

The rest should be easy sailing with the shift box

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back