The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

? For you manifold Builders

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SasaniFab

Proven Member
Dec 1, 2013
Mexico, Connecticut
I was just curious , what size tungsten are you guys using when welding the manifolds together. Ive been using a 3/32 2% lanthanated. I used to use the thoriated red but switched iver. Id like to get the welds narrower, dropping down to 1/16 would help with this yes?

Attachments

• D0B84C29-DFE6-46BC-B612-B99526039E59.png
    D0B84C29-DFE6-46BC-B612-B99526039E59.png
    495.9 KB · Views: 92
I found going to a smaller diamerter filler rod made welds narrower. Like using mig wire vs 1/16 filler rod.

Also 1/16 tungsten helps with control as well, bit if the point is ground similarly to the 3/32, then there won't be as much difference. (From what I could tell)

I just want to improve aesthetics, im gunna bevel my bends even more, the 90 bends come beveled but i think theres room for improvement. I just want the welds to lay flatter and stay thinner

What filler size are you using? Idealy you want to run either .030 or .045. 3/32 sharpen to a narrow point works fine. Also a quick autogenous weld first helps around bolt holes. It will give you a narrower bead as you will be using less amps, so the cone will be smaller. This will leave a bit of under cut that you can easily back filled with a small gauge filler. Or you can try and single pass it with an .030" wire.

Just need a deeper bevel
Thats what I was thinking , i dont bevel the 90s that come beveled just the pipe that I cut. Do you bevel the 90s that come beveled? As for wire I use 3/32 or 1/16. I tend to use thinner filler wire and keep the amps around 90 when welding the pipe . For the head flange I go to 120 amps and dial it in from there once it gets hot

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back