The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

for those w/ kits....

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pozz24gs

20+ Year Contributor
Apr 7, 2003
New_YorkUS
i just got my bomex kit and have a few questions. it seems everything pretty much fits right up, but...

1. for the front bumper, do i have to take the black plastic piece off that hangs down in front of the radiator? it connects to an arc piece where the stock bumper bolts up to on the bottom.

2. does the metal/steel or whatever it is that goes behind the bumper where the styrofoam is come off permanantly? i believe that piece is for protection.

3. is it easier to take them to get painted after fitting them on or take the whole car? i want to make sure the bodyshop gets pretty much all of the kit so you dont see any white.

4. the kit is fiberglass. it is white except in some areas where it is clear, but very little area is clear, mostly around edges, is the white primer? can i drive it for a little while like this?

5. lastly, is fiberglass supposed to seem like it is gonna break easily. i know this is the authentic bomex kit, but i thought it would feel a little more sturdy than it does.

sorry for it being so long. thanx in advance

1. for the front bumper, do i have to take the black plastic piece off that hangs down in front of the radiator? it connects to an arc piece where the stock bumper bolts up to on the bottom.

You can if you want to. For my bomex kit, I don't have it on because of my FMIC

2. does the metal/steel or whatever it is that goes behind the bumper where the styrofoam is come off permanantly? i believe that piece is for protection.

Again, I taken it off due to my FMIC. You can leave it on there but you would need to shave off some of the bumper in order to make it fit

3. is it easier to take them to get painted after fitting them on or take the whole car? i want to make sure the bodyshop gets pretty much all of the kit so you dont see any white.

Umm, it better to fit it first before taking it to get it painted. For mine, I fitted it first to make sure everything fits, which it did, and then I took it off and brought it to the shop. If you leave it on there, they are going to charge you more since they have to use their time to take it off and put it back on when they paint it

4. the kit is fiberglass. it is white except in some areas where it is clear, but very little area is clear, mostly around edges, is the white primer? can i drive it for a little while like this?

White is the fiberglass with primer. The clear you see is just fiberglass

5. lastly, is fiberglass supposed to seem like it is gonna break easily. i know this is the authentic bomex kit, but i thought it would feel a little more sturdy than it does.

My bomex kit is thick as hell. I drop it when I first got it and nothing crack. My bomex kit is authentic and the thickness of it seems to be around 1/2 inch thick. If your not sure if your kit is authentic, check all the pieces, they all should have BOMEX tags on them.

Hope this helps, mine is getting painted as we speak.

Dan

that helps alot, yeah, they all have bomex stickers on it. i didnt know bomex was made in the phillipines. but you answered my questions like i wanted to hear, thanx

That black plastic piece you are talking about is most likely your safety bumper. Unfortunatley, most kits do not fit with this. That safety bumper is the only thing that will protect the rest of your car in an accident. I learned this the hard way. I hit a patch of ice and slid my car into a small rock doing about 5 mph, the rock pretty much went straight into the engine bay being there was nothing there to protect it. $2000 in damage. So just imagine if you're going faster or hit another vehicle. The body shop I took it to wouldn't even work on the car unless they returned the car with a safety bumper installed...for liability reasons. Just fair warning...before you go out and total your car on what should have been just a fender bender.

To answer some other questions, if you're putting the kit on yourself...it's easier for the shop to paint the pieces off of your car because they can more easily get into those tight spots. The white finish is not primer. Before painting, the bumper will have to sanded and primed properly. I wouldn't drive around witht he kit unpainted, not only does it look bad...but you could also damage it.

thanx for the info. im just right now putting it on the car to fit them, as soon as i get everything where i want, im taking it over to the body shop w/ the kit on and a few bolts holding it in place so when i get there, ill take it off and tell them to leave them aside so when i pick it up, ill put the bolts in to get home and put all bolts in. as far as getting into an accident, i have a beater car for when the weather is crap. actually, its a little better than a beater, and if i were to get into an accident, well, it'd probably be my stupidity and i deserve it. if its someone else, i guess im outta luck. but thanx again.

where in the philippines is it made? I didn't know that? I don;t think that its made here, cuz I'm pretty much in the aftermarket industry. But if they do, hell, I want one!

i have a sticker on one side, it says boMex. made in Phillipines. i thought that was wierd.

it was from bomex in cali. it is authentic. unless they make kits in different places or something. $1400 is no rip off. i ordered it from one of the dealers bomex has in their site

Dayum...for $1400 that kit better be made of gold. That's insane for a kit that doesn't even look that great...:rolleyes: To each his own I guess.

i would have gone for the knock offs for like 600, but i want only the best for my car.

i dont see it advertised anywhere for under 1200. so i went to carhookups.com and they were $20 cheaper than everywhere else. shipping was like 175

damn like 1/2 and inch thick??????? thats crazy.........my kit isn't bomex or anything but it's only like 1/4 an inch think 1/2 is crazy!! o well just wonderin if it was really 1/2 an inch or if thta was a type-o

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back