The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

For Those of You With Either Big16g's or EvoIII 16g's Come In..

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chadillac2000

20+ Year Contributor
Mar 1, 2003
Athens, Georgia
Alright, The time has come for me to choose a turbo, i've already decided to probably go with slowboy racing for my turbo and also a 16g, but thats where the problem is. I was wondering are the gains of the evo III 16g (ive read the comparison page at sbr) worth the extra work of installing it, as ive heard the parts dont match up to stock parts as do they big16g? If nebody with either of these two turbos could help me out it would be appreciated, thanx in advance guys

I just installed a new B16G from slowboys. I got the 2g install kit also. First your going to have to modify your water lines, and your oil return tube. Its a easy bolt up if you have the right tools. I cant tell any real gains yet, due to bad boost creep. I even got the 34mm flapper and porting and still cant control boost. So far its a demod and its going to cost me alot more $$$ just to control the boost. I would get a new o2 housing and 34mm WG and when you get the turbo port the shit out of the WG hole as much as you can. Or forget about all the stuff i just said and boost to 20 psi all the time. Good luck

It depends on what you want. I went with a small 16g because I'm cheap and I found one for $300 used. I got my first runs this weekend, it made a huge improvement. I raced a friend with an fp green and we were dead even in third, and he put a car on me at the top of fourth.

If I were you I would get the evo16g(same install as any other 16g, only the evo o2 housing is different if you get that), or step up to something bigger like a 50trim. I've had my 16g up and running for a couple of days and I already want bigger:D

So basically, for almost the same price I would get the evo16g over the big16g, or would just get a bigger turbo now, so you dont have to buy it later.

The Evo 16G bolts up just the same as any 16g.

Originally posted by bigjangin
I've had my 16g up and running for a couple of days and I already want bigger:D

i am still debating to go with a 50 trim or an evo III

I would say go with the 50 trim, the only reason not to is if you dont want to do all the supporting mods.

You could probably run the 50 trim on low boost, and be just as happy with it as a 16g though.

Another option is the 18g from forced performance... It uses the evo exhuast side and has an 18g wheel. It is only around 100 dollars more.

Well i was in the same boat VertGst and i picked a used Pte 50 trim for 600 so i got a good deal. I sold my killer 16g for 450 so i came up pretty good.....:thumb:

Hi Josh.:D

Get the EVOIII 16g, it's better than the B16g AND it bolts up the same.

Originally posted by kpt4321
Hi Josh.:D

Get the EVOIII 16g, it's better than the B16g AND it bolts up the same.
Just curious, how is the EVO III B16g better than the regular B16g? From what I can tell by looking at RRE's website, they both have the same compressor housing and wheels. Also.. RRE has the EVO III B16g priced just $10 bucks more than the regular B16g. Am I missing something here, if so, fill me in. Thanks!! :)

It flows more air and is more efficient at most, if not all, boost levels.

well as teh days go buy i lean more and more towards the 50 trim. i have a lot of supoorting mods to do though before i can get it so i would have one for a while.

Originally posted by Generation X
Just curious, how is the EVO III B16g better than the regular B16g? From what I can tell by looking at RRE's website, they both have the same compressor housing and wheels.
Not exactly:
http://www.slowboyracing.com/Mitsubishi Turbos/EVO 16g/Wheel_comparison.html

I just installed my "regular" Big16G this past weekend, and it's sweet. In a more perfect world, I would've opted for the EVO 16G, but I got a killer deal on this one. It's good enough for now-- I've still got my heart set on a GSX one day anyway that I'll go all out on. And yeah, like Shape said, the EVO one bolts up just like the normal 16G. And don't let the fact that it's not "100% plug and play" deter you-- the install is just as easy as say, a T-28, and you can piece together an install kit for not too much coin. IMO, the prepackaged "install kits" are way overpriced.

Originally posted by doug
Not exactly:
http://www.slowboyracing.com/Mitsubishi Turbos/EVO 16g/Wheel_comparison.html

I just installed my "regular" Big16G this past weekend, and it's sweet. In a more perfect world, I would've opted for the EVO 16G, but I got a killer deal on this one. It's good enough for now-- I've still got my heart set on a GSX one day anyway that I'll go all out on. And yeah, like Shape said, the EVO one bolts up just like the normal 16G. And don't let the fact that it's not "100% plug and play" deter you-- the install is just as easy as say, a T-28, and you can piece together an install kit for not too much coin. IMO, the prepackaged "install kits" are way overpriced.
Thanks for the info!! :thumb:

This turbo is not as similar to your average B16G as you may think. With spool up the same the EVO 3 takes off due to its larger compressor wheel. It has already been proven to flow 44.1 lbs/min. and 118 through the traps holding 26 psi to redline. This is a great turbo and one reason to buy a Forced Performance EVO 3 B16G right now is due to their turbos having much more nickel found in the exhaust housing making them extremely crack resistant. And here is the best price you will find for an EVO 3 Big 16G and it comes with all gaskets as well, $549 Shipped for an FP EVO 3 B16G.

http://www.pinamotorsports.com/groupbuy.html

I am in on this buy as well, and can't wait to get an EVO 3 on my car. And go through RRE for the install kit, I've heard nothing but good things about their 2G 16G install kit.

-Brady

Keep in mind 1G guys that he's going to be upgrading from a T25 which flow a phenominal 250cfm's at 15psi, so any turbo is going to be a good step up.

I like the small 16G just because it flows twice as much at the same psi ( 505cfm's ). Big 16G would get you 50 more cfm's, and the Evo III is somewhere above that. It all depends on what boost you plan to run also. I would say go for a small 16G. You'll be upgrading soon after it anyway, so go with something proven. Yeah it doesn't have the flash of saying its an "Evo III" turbo, but its pretty close and Forced Performance lists it at a 350hp turbo. :thumb:

:talon: :laser: :dsm:

Got a question while I'm thinking about it. Would an Evo III 16G bolt right up to a stock 2nd Gen O2 housing and manifold without mods? For the extra 70$ I figure what the hell. :p

Also, does MHI build all the Evo III's with the extra nickel content? ( Can I buy it from anyone, or just FP? ).

I hate these threads, I can never make up my mind. :)

The EVO 3 B16G appears to bolt up to the manifold with the RRE kit and my opinion on the 02 Housing is to port the hell out of it (as I am doing to hold me off until the EVO 3 O2) but it should bolt up to the 02 as well.

As far as the nickel content goes, Forced Performance is the only one who received those turbos because Robert had said somewhere that they just received this shipment of them in and only them.

-Brady

Originally posted by harryb
As far as the nickel content goes, Forced Performance is the only one who received those turbos because Robert had said somewhere that they just received this shipment of them in and only them.
I find that very hard to believe.

Originally posted by doug
I find that very hard to believe.

Straight from a "good dsm board" posted by Turbobob (Robert owner of Forced Performance):

Posted by turbobob

posted 07-30-2003 09:28
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, better for you, worse for me. It is a lot harder and tougher material to port and cut.

I've found a newer style 7cm exhaust housing now that corrects two of my biggest bitches about the old 7cm DSM housing, crappy material and poor boost control.

This housing comes from the lancer EVO3. The housing seems to have a lot more nickel in it than the old housing did and like the newer EVO3 manifolds, it should be alot more resistant to the terrible cracking that usually occurs.

Another really neat thing about this casting is that the engineers must have finally realized what we have been fighting for so long, the old housing had boost control problems. The new housing has a relocated flapper door and a redesigned wastegete passage that gives the flow out of the flapper port much more room to get by the flapper and into the O2 housing.

Since it's a EVO3 turbine housing, the EVO3 O2 housing fits it perfectly as well! It looks like this is going to go a long way towards better boost control with an internal gate, and everyone knows we all need that.

The good news is that these housings are attached to rest of the turbo from the EVO3 which is Big16g compressor wheel and TD05H turbine wheel. So now you can get your Big16g turbo at the same price you always did but with a much better exhaust housing on it, just ask for the EVO3 Big16g.

--------------------
"The use of the device is implicit in its development"

Oppenheimer

-Brady

Good info harryb, thanks. What he says make me reconsider the Evo III just because I know that boost control on the internally gated wastegates has become an issue for those turbos. I plan on a small 16G just because I will probably be upgrading from that soon and do not want to spend too much ( porting the O2 to match and such ). This gives me new faith in the Evo III 16G.

ANY 16G will have trouble with boost creep if it is stock, and your exhaust flows enough!

I had creep with my small 16G until I had it ported.

I'm living with the creep of my Evo III 16G until I can come up with a solution that does not involve modifying the wastegate flapper. I refuse to do that, for fear of my boost dropping. 26psi to redline is too sweet to give up.

Originally posted by harryb
Straight from the NABR Public Board posted by Turbobob (Robert owner of Forced Performance)
Yeah, I remember reading that on the NABR board a while back, but I still don't see anywhere in there that says FP is the only one with that housing. I'm betting they're all the same-- in my mind there's no way MHI manufactured a separate set of housings with different alloys just for a select few vendors.

Just this last week, I did a customer install: an evo3 from SBR, SBR FMIC kit with piping, 680 CC injectors, 255 pump, and an AFC on a 99 GST, The car had full exhuast on it. Everything else was BONE stock. All I can say is the writing is on the wall: this car layed down 260 horses at 9 PSI.

Originally posted by zac83
Just this last week, I did a customer install: an evo3 from SBR, SBR FMIC kit with piping, 680 CC injectors, 255 pump, and an AFC on a 99 GST, The car had full exhuast on it. Everything else was BONE stock. All I can say is the writing is on the wall: this car layed down 260 horses at 9 PSI.

Is it a smart idea to put on an Evo III turbo on a stock exhaust system and O2 housing? My T25 is dying slowly and I'll have to get a turbo before an exhaust. Should I get a small 16G or Evo III 16G?

Does SBR claim to have the higher nickel content in their Evo III turbos? I would probably be getting a stock turbo ( no porting ) and have it go on a stock exhaust with just a test pipe.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back