The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Follow my diagnostic reasoning......2G GST Auto. No reverse - Stuck in 3rd?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rangerguy

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 10, 2002
Newport, North_Carolina
128K Miles on vehicle - 97 GST Car has no reverse and/or stuck in 3rd - bought as is. No prior info on car. Car is basically modded - 16G / FIPK / Hard IC pipes / 1G BOV recirc. Unknown injectors - unknown management - leaking radiator.

1. Checked fluid level - will do that again - fluid does not look bad - smells but not burnt smell - full on stick but I am not sure if it needs to be on or off?

2. Checked 10 Amp fuse under dash

3. Going to inspect connections at TCU

4. Used the scan tool from work. Pulled code 53 - 3rd gear incorrect ratio

5. Based on what I can see, and the flow chart alldata gives me - I dont have code 51 as well. Alldata states if thats the only code to - replace the front clutch.

Will that also cause reverse to not work? As I understand it, 3rd/reverse are mechanical and have little to no relation to the TCU. So its likely the weak link giving up from somebody racing it or whatever.

Thoughts?

Inspected and adjusted shift linkage to spec. No fix.

Next step replace filter/fluid.

Likely cause is still the front clutches.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back