The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

FML I needed new paint but not like this...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'll be posting pics of today's paint work. But my question is....since I don't have a buffer tool will the buffing cloths work? Trying to make do with what I already have.

Just make sure you use all clean materials (no scuff pads that have been used before, etc), and prep the shit out of it. If you dont prep it well, the paint will show it. And if you dont clean it well, you'll end up with orange peel and a lot of wet sanding. So take your time.

I would go to the parts store and get a wool and a foam buffing pad that attaches to a drill. It isn't as fast as a good buffer but works way faster than doing it by hand. I use the cheap turtle wax rubbing compound with the wool pad than turtle wax polishing compound with the foam pad. From there i apply wax with the foam pad, let it dry and wipe and polish it off with a new microfiber rag. If there is any orange peel than you will want to wet sand it with some 1500 than 2000 until it it gone before buffing. Orange peel is a texture that looks like a football.

Okay guys, since it's been a few months after my tragedy and i finally got around to uploading pics, heres the results: The paint held up great. Alot better than i thought. Its not showroom condition but at 5 feet away, its hardly noticeable. Overall the project cost me around 65 bucks, one case of beer and one warm saturday. I did my best at photo documenting the whole thing.

This was after the paint itself was stripped; causing major damage to the paint underneath. Stripping ALL of the paint.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Paint stripped. Time to sand the hell out of the hood and lightly touch it up with an angle grinder.

Touch ups done, sanding done. Off to the car wash.....

LET THE PAINTING BEGIN. Primer, primer, and more primer.

First coat, not looking bad.

And that was it. Three more coats of color, 4 of clear coat and it was a wrap. Here are some after shots:

And my glamour shot, pardon the missing door handle.

Last but not least, the "how it held up" picture. It has showed one flaw yet. As my daily i was expecting it to. No chips, fade or anything showing it was spray bombed. Picture taken 4 months after the procedure.

Credit goes to BryanWheat for his godly knowledge and anyone else who provided insight. Thanks for looking guys. Hope you dont need this.

I have a question... First, are all the splotches on the paint just from Bugs? haha

And second, it doesn't seem like it has that same sheen as the rest of the car. I understand it was rattle canned, but I am curious to know if you had tried wet sanding it after you got done with the clear coat.

wish i saw this earlier i've until recent years owned a home painting and rehab business and there's stuff called "purple power driveway cleaner" almost every autoparts stoire has it and walmart does too, it's not as strong as it says and sucks on driveways but full strength it takes paint (latex that is) off about anything, it will even fix a dried up and ruined 30 dollar purdy brush that some dumb ass leaves in paint all night LOL

wet your exposed paint areas and if you can buikld any sort of "dam" with duct tape and plastic at all try and make a way to puddle it on the dried paint and let it soak, it won't hurt the enamel finish of your car if you keep it cool and out of the sun, but will take the paint off like you just had play doe piled on the hood after a few hours of soaking, not as hard as it sounds either, i've seen others in this same vandalism and gave same advice

It mainly just needs a good compound and polish. That's what will bring the shine back to about what the factory clear looks like. If you used a single stage acrylic urethane, you could try polishing it with a polisher, but what I normally do if it dies back like that is sand it again with 800 or 1000 grit, just to get it real flat, then shoot on one more thin clear coat. That is usually all it takes to make it look like the factory paint or better.

Yeah, try to get in with a crowd so they don't come and vandalize your car. It's his fault, not the idiots who destroyed his hood.

Yeah, try to get in with a crowd so they don't come and vandalize your car. It's his fault, not the idiots who destroyed his hood.

I don't understand how exactly that was my fault? You're telling me that my choice in automobile made some moron dump white paint all over my car? Or is this some failed troll attempt? Please elaborate.

4 months was enough time to FULLY investigate the situation. The police let it go but I didn't. Turned out to be some kid who lived down the street in my subdivision and had some racial issues. I'm interested in this reply Bicycle.

I was being sarcastic against the people who suggested that you should go out of your way to be nice to people who don't like you just because of your car and those people who would vandalize your car because they like some other class of car.

Ahhh, okay. My bad. Well said point. When I bought the car I had no intentions of "proving myself" to anyone. I made minor attempts but that term "ricer" was buried in my conscience. If it can't get through a pond of mud or isn't a v8, you don't belong around here. Sorry for coming off harsh.

Good Work! You should of done some work on the bumper while you where in the area.
A new set of headlights will do wonders to the looks as well.

Ahhh, okay. My bad. Well said point. When I bought the car I had no intentions of "proving myself" to anyone. I made minor attempts but that term "ricer" was buried in my conscience. If it can't get through a pond of mud or isn't a v8, you don't belong around here. Sorry for coming off harsh.

Man that's messed up about your car. Im' with ya though. Its funny how much peoples responses vary when i tell then i have an eclipse vs an eagle talon. When i say eclipse they get "that look" LOL. But when i say talon they go "o those are pretty quick".

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back