The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

FML I needed new paint but not like this...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tha Fella Dylan

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 9, 2012
Algonac, Michigan
So given the fact that I'm the only tuner guy for a solid 30 miles in any direction my car takes a lot of discrimination. My car was the victim of some haters :/. I come out side to warm up my car like I do every morning. I noticed something white on my hood. I could see something white pooled on the driveway below it also. Some one dumped thick syrup like white latex paint on my hood. I called the police ( yahhta yahhta....) but now I need to get this crap off. It's dried and doesn't peel. Any ideas how to get this crap off my car. Sanding didn't work. Luckily my new oem headlights didn't get a drop on them. Thanks guys.

Man that really sucks, I can't even imagine how angry I would be if it were to happen to me. I don't really have any suggestions on removing the white paint without damaging the original paint. Would your insurance cover any type of vandalism?

We can't really recommend anything since we don't know what it is. Start with a safe solvent first and work your way up until something softens it and then try to peel or scrape it off with a soft plastic bondo spreader.

If you can chip off a little bit of the stuff test the chips separately in various cleaners like Goo-Off, WD40, mineral spirits, etc.

Maybe cover the area in an old beach towel and keep it soaked for several hours with soapy water as your first test. Cover the towel with plastic film to keep the towel from drying. Try to re-hydrate the material.

If that doesn't work then try a little stronger solution to wet the towel like a little ammonia mixed in water.

Try to do this in the shade. You don't want the panel to get hot while you have the solution on it. Warm is okay but not hot. Try to keep any solution from drying on the good part of the hood or fenders so you don't get detergent streaks.

Maybe try a small ammount of enamel thinner on it and rub it some with a dark colored rag and see if it starts to come up. You can also try wax and grease remover for paint prep. Also try "spot shot" carpet cleaner. I have used spot shot for anything from cleaning carpet to cleaning oil and grease off of my engine parts to getting printed decals off of a die cast model. If push comes to shove, very very carefully try a small amount of brake fluid to see if even that will take it up. If so you can use that to get a majority of it off.

You shoult try to get on good terms with the classic/muscle people in your area. That's what I did. ;)

You shoult try to get on good terms with the classic/muscle people in your area. That's what I did. ;)

This is a good idea. There's a cruise night out in IL that does not allow "tuner" cars of any kind because they don't want "the fast and furious" I.E. Douchebaggery. Prove to them that you are not some immature little teenager with an "I'm better than you attitude" and they will warm up to you. You'd be surprised how many of them are true car people and appreciate all kinds of cars. It's the general idiotic behavior that typically follows the "tuner" cars that kills it.

Shitty man sorry to hear.

Hopefully it doesn't happen again. If it does, then you've really gotta keep an eye out and catch the idiots.

Probably local kids.

Hope you get this sorted out.

Well, I tried to "get in with them" but they never loosened up. Doesn't hurt my feelings a bit. My insurance doesn't cover any kind of vandalism. I'm at work so I could only try a few things. I tried scraping but there's no way that would do it. It's really gummy. And the hood itself was spray bombed anyways with clear coat on it. Not worried about the surface. Looks like I have a lot of things to try when I get home. Thanks a million guys.

You would think you would be able to but no. It's like getting bubble gum out of carpet. Just spent my whole lunch trying to. Can you only buy OPC online?

Don't use solvents unless NOTHING else works. I do a lot of paint and body work, and I would recommend you go find a heat gun or a high power hair dryer and heat that crap up until it softens up just a bit, then use a PLASTIC scraper to remove it. The urethane clearcoat under it is fairly tough stuff, and should be able to withstand some heating better than latex would, just be careful and really watch the latex. As soon as it softens up, scrape it. It should peel off. You want to exhaust all possibility of mechanical removal before using any solvents on it... they can REALLY mess up paint in a hurry.

If you MUST go to using a solvent or removal solution, I would highly recommend using a citrus based cleaner FIRST... OrangeClean, GooGone, etc... The latex removers can be found in the paint departments of Lowes, Home DePot, Tru-Value, etc. Save the paint thinners or reducing solvents as an absolute last ditch option.

I totally understand where you're coming from... I live out in the middle of nowhere, and tuner = ricer = dooshbag here too because of all the little fart can muffler idiots waking up the neighborhoods "racing" their "fast" 18 second Hondurs... I don't like them either, but I get lumped in with them too. It's probably a little different here though... we all have guns, and a man's car is sacred territory. You don't do stuff like that unless you enjoy being shot.

UPDATE.

Got the latex paint off with CitriStrip. But....it went to a different level and stripped the oem paint off. The paint that was dumped on my hood covered a majority of it so it took quite a bit off. Any cheap ideas to cover it up for now? Preferably red. My friend told me to rattle can it then put clear on it and it should look fine. Idk guys... I've seen it on rims and it looked fine.

UPDATE.

Got the latex paint off with CitriStrip. But....it went to a different level and stripped the oem paint off. The paint that was dumped on my hood covered a majority of it so it took quite a bit off. Any cheap ideas to cover it up for now? Preferably red. My friend told me to rattle can it then put clear on it and it should look fine. Idk guys... I've seen it on rims and it looked fine.

guessing the heat gun didnt do the trick? or did you skip straight to solvents like people were telling you to kinda stay away from unless as a last resprt? theres a reason its not a good idea to use PAINT STRIPPER on car PAINT. if its just your hood id repaint the whole thing. Sand, primer, base, clear.

Lol. I skipped the extra work I did in that update. Spent 3 hours getting no where with a putty knife. Another hour with a heat gun. 45 mins with goo gone. Gave up after 6 hours of labor and barely denting the amount I had left to do. Do I primer even for just spray paint? Silly question for a stupid decision. :(

Lol. I skipped the extra work I did in that update. Spent 3 hours getting no where with a putty knife. Another hour with a heat gun. 45 mins with goo gone. Gave up after 6 hours of labor and barely denting the amount I had left to do. Do I primer even for just spray paint? Silly question for a stupid decision. :(

rattle cans can look good if the prep work is right. sand down the hood, get some primer, paint and clear and start painting. or if it really bothers you maaco can repaint it for like $100 but it's maaco so you get what you pay for.

rattle cans can look good if the prep work is right. sand down the hood, get some primer, paint and clear and start painting. or if it really bothers you maaco can repaint it for like $100 but it's maaco so you get what you pay for.

yeah macco will last you a week, then you will start to see where your peelage USED to be haha a body shop wouldent charge alot for a legit coat of paint if you did the prep and primer yourself... its 90% prep 10% paint.

Paint thinner had no effect. Even after letting it sit. Anyone else have any spray can experience?

yeah, duplicolor seems to do the trick first coat spray on light then do a few medium heavy coats after that then same with clear so it doesnt run. PRIMER FIRST or it will peel or chip!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back