The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

FMIC install help on 90 TSI

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spic21

10+ Year Contributor
May 14, 2010
albany, Louisiana
i bought this fmic kit 4 or 5 yrs ago. i think on ebay but dont remember. this is what i got. (pic attached) am i missing anything here? ive been doing alot of sreaching on installs and piping but not really finding what im looking for. i did find this thread that looks usefull but the pics will not display. http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...-ebay-fmic-install-90-91-1g-12x24x3-core.html does it display for anyone else or are they missing. also if anyone know of any good threads id love to see them so please post. as of so far i really cant find any, but i know i suck at this hole search thing because i know they have to be on here. i pretty much have a fab shop (well a welder, torchs, band saws and a few other cool tools:thumb:) and im not scared to customize any thing i need to.

piping is my main concern and i cant find much on it. looks like its gonna be a bi*** though. also looks like i need to cut a couple inches out my bumper witch i have read anyway and dont mind. what i dont understand is the pipes out the cooler. how they hell do u get though the front of car. looks like there all kinds of stuff blocking them. any pics people have of there set up would be much appreciated.

my intercooler is about 33.5x10x3. it say X-treme imports on front. also let me know if this is a piece of crap or decent FMIC? u wont hurt my feelings

Attachments

• FMIC.jpg
    FMIC.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 232
It has the rear entry and exit points on the FMIC. This will install just like the Punishment Racing intercooler kit. It uses short route piping, obviously. You will need a J-pipe that either points straight down, or points toward the drivers side. Then there will be kind of an L shape that will connect to that and go out toward the bumper, right next to the radiator.

Then on the exit side, it will be right next to the radiator, and follow a straight line almost all the way to the throttle body elbow.

Not burst your bubble but i would dump that off asap. IT looks like mild steel piping(bad). Home depot pvc elbow(bad) and ballcamp hose clamps (bad). I'm not sure what the deal is with the coar but it looks way goofy. With a name like Extreme imports......, PLEASE don't hack your bumper up it makes a nice car look like dump.

I would sell it off. Buy a ets coar or another coar. Also a piping kit made for your car out of aluminum.
Just my 2cents.:hellyeah:

Not burst your bubble but i would dump that off asap. IT looks like mild steel piping(bad). Home depot pvc elbow(bad) and ballcamp hose clamps (bad). I'm not sure what the deal is with the coar but it looks way goofy. With a name like Extreme imports......, PLEASE don't hack your bumper up it makes a nice car look like dump.

I would sell it off. Buy a ets coar or another coar. Also a piping kit made for your car out of aluminum.
Just my 2cents.:hellyeah:

It's core.

And I agree with the piping...shit will rust real bad. The elbow is shoddy and the core itself is.....well, yea. It can still be used fine, just not sure how much of a gain he would get from it

Thanks good to know, I'll Ebay it. I want something good. This is what I have in the motor and I want to get a much bigger turbo once I figure out how to tune it.

The motor only has maybe 700 miles on it tops, I did this build 4 to 5 yrs ago so this is what I remember off the top of my head.

forge rods and pistons think 8/1 compression
3 angle value job
arp bolts
bigger springs
272(I think. They were the biggest at one time) intake and exhaust cams HKS
cometic head gasket. think they said good for 33lbs boost
small 16g turbo
greddy blow value
apex afc 2
Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
660 injector(or something like that) (not installed because i cant tune it yet)
2g exhaust maniflod
3in downpipe with 3in thermal exhaust
Prothane Motor & Transmission Mounts
its also gauged out inside from oil to exhaust temp
and I have a palm pilot with d-link on it (I think)
i also have a lt1 mas air with the kit to convert it(not installed because i need to learn car first aka tunning)

i also bought some stuff for fuel system because some guys i knew back then were gonna do something to up grade my fuel rail. i bought a fuel regulator and liquid fuel gauge from summit. they were suppose to bring the rest and i was gonna pay them but they never showed. i think there used to be a web site that showed what it was. with a parts list from summit and lots of pics on how to install. if i find i will post.

You'll probably want to get in touch with the guys at Punishment Racing. They make a kit with a better looking core (probably works better too) and mandrel bent 2.5" piping. That means none of that press bent stuff causing restrictions at every turn. Check out their store to see what's included, and then get in contact with them through PM on here or call to see what they can do for you.

I have a SBR core stashed away for mega power later on and the PR FMIC is still really tempting.

Whatever you do make sure you get beaded piping or have a local shop bead it for you... bad things happen when this is not heeded :banghead:

Whatever you do make sure you get beaded piping or have a local shop bead it for you... bad things happen when this is not heeded :banghead:

i will do i read a forum on how to do yourself with a home made tool that is made out of visegrips. thank

so is punisher racing one of the better ones or one of the better for the money. im a believer in doing it right the first time. just want to make sure i dont go buy one then need something def once i get bigger turbo. first time searching intercooler so guess i have some reading to do.

me and and friend built this car originally and hes the one that bought this set up. suck cause he paid over 400 bucks for this thing like 5 yrs ago. guess he go ripped so now i want to make sure i dont make same mistake.

The punishment racing kit comes with everything you need.

All you need to do is mount it and bolt it up. All you have to cut is your bumper itself which you could do with a pocket knife if you were desperate enough.

It even comes with the J-pipe and preflanged for either your 1g BOV or the Greddy Type-S BOV.

The best part is the tube with the flange is mountable either up or down so you can avoid hitting the hood when you run a Type-S which is a problem for some people.

The core is also large enough to support around 400 HP or so.

Plus remember the 400 dollar price tag on it is the price SHIPPED! You can also get the kit on sale for 350 bucks sometimes. I almost got a used one that was practically brand new from a friend for only 250!

cool. sorry im so ignorant of this subject but with the set up i described that im running is that about the hp that im looking at having w this car? again forgive me, all my knowledge is in v8 muscle cars. this is first 4 cyl ive built also first turbo car

also if i have 3in mas (not installed yet) for it and 3in exhaust with 3in downpipe wouldnt i want 3in FMIC that way its 3in the hole way through?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back