The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

flywheel

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weshole

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 28, 2002
fergus falls, Minnesota
Well after seeing sooomany posts on trannies not wanting to shift properly after either a clutch or tranny swap and seeing alot of possibilities exhausted, I kinda had an idea. I've been working at an auto parts store for about 10 years now and have noticed that certain shops call and order flywheel shims for cars when they do a clutch job. Now wouldn't it make sense to do the same on our cars when we do the same? If tou think about it, it makes perfect sense. It would also explain alot of problems we DSM'ers seem to be having with hard shifting because when you surface the flywheel, you are setting the clutch farther away from the fork thus making the fork have to travel farther. And if the flywheel has been resurfaced more than once, then it makes it virtually impossible for the clutch to do its job because of limited effective travel of the fork/ pressure plate. Now I could be wrong. Iguess I'm wondering if anybody else has thought of or dealt with this before or even any opinions on my thinking. Maybe there' such a product for our rides as a flywheel spacer. :confused: :confused:

Yes, that is a good idea. Except us DSMers, being the creative and cheapazz bunch that we are, have found another way to do it. It's called shimming the pivot ball. It moves the clutch fork closer to the flywheel.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back